Fixing 'Smoke in the Water'

jhfts
Command Sergeant Major

Fixing 'Smoke in the Water'

Postby jhfts » Sun 8 Mar 2015 04:24

Despite the ongoing craving for new maps across the RD community, there is one 4 v 4 map in the game that's basically never played – 'Smoke in the Water'.

Of course, that's not really surprising, since the map isn't very much fun as it is. With a large island in the center, cut off from reinforcement zones, the less-than-perfect elements of RD's naval gameplay quickly become clear to any would-be players. Furthermore, since land reinforcement can only be brought in by air or sea, combat on the main island is usually choked out within a few minutes of starting a game.

Still, it seems a shame that a map with a significant land component is basically off the roster. If Eugen can't give us any brand-new maps, perhaps a quick-and dirty change to 'Smoke in the Water' could yield something worthwhile?

Two ideas come to mind:

1) Cut down the map to the center island, and turn in into a 1 v 1 map, with reinforcement zones on opposite sides of the island. Naturally, it would look a bit funny with reinforcements popping into existence on the edge of the island, but it seems workable.

2) Create a land-only version of the 4 v 4, but give every player's deck a card of LVTs in order to move their units to the main island. This would preserve the naval landing gameplay, but I don't know how much technical effort this would require – maybe Eugen could comment?

JBravo
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Fixing 'Smoke in the Water'

Postby JBravo » Sun 8 Mar 2015 04:29

To me it's not only the naval aspect of the map, it's the crazy confusion of line of sight that makes it way too much of a chore to want to deal with.

bobjoeharris
Warrant Officer

Postby bobjoeharris » Sun 8 Mar 2015 05:59

make a big highway with nice pretty wide bridges going across the whole map
I am [LCol] 'Harris' In ALB and RD, and 'Lt Col. Harris; in EE
bobjoeharris wrote:fighting for dry, colorless landscapes with boring grey houses, as dry napalm is dropped to further dry up the land, all while the silent ships watch from the silent sea :(

wingen013
Sergeant First-Class

Postby wingen013 » Sun 8 Mar 2015 06:00

Plus the top of the mountain has a little sign saying bomb me.
there is a misspelling my username should be wingren013

The idea that all men are created equal is the greatest invention in human history, tied with the Apache Helicopter.

F-22
Lieutenant

Postby F-22 » Sun 8 Mar 2015 07:49

JBravo wrote:To me it's not only the naval aspect of the map, it's the crazy confusion of line of sight that makes it way too much of a chore to want to deal with.

I agree, even if combat is just on the main island it's just Maze in Japan and even more so Cold War Z all over again.

DoubleDown
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby DoubleDown » Sun 8 Mar 2015 08:03

The crazy elevation changes are exactly why I like all the maps listed to be honest :? flat land is a relatively boring point-and-click adventure, huge numbers of hills and valleys make the game (particularly the infantry game) a lot more interesting.

Fade2Gray
General

Postby Fade2Gray » Sun 8 Mar 2015 08:13

DoubleDown wrote:The crazy elevation changes are exactly why I like all the maps listed to be honest :? flat land is a relatively boring point-and-click adventure, huge numbers of hills and valleys make the game (particularly the infantry game) a lot more interesting.

Makes endless bomber trains pretty common as well.

The pure infantry maps are endlessly tiresome because it's endless infantry spam and hoping to not get your infantry bombed into oblivion.
Think you have what it takes to enlist into the military? You sure about that?

Bullfrog
General

Postby Bullfrog » Sun 8 Mar 2015 09:03

DoubleDown wrote:The crazy elevation changes are exactly why I like all the maps listed to be honest :? flat land is a relatively boring point-and-click adventure, huge numbers of hills and valleys make the game (particularly the infantry game) a lot more interesting.

I agree.

I'm fine with flat lands showing up occasionally as a map feature, but I dread the possibility of going back to EE goofy flat land, flat slops, flat hill tops.

What the game needs now is topographical maps so you can read where the LoS issues may be.
Does not affiliate with members who post in #MakeAmericaGreatAgain

JBravo
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby JBravo » Sun 8 Mar 2015 10:37

Although I didn't know it at the time, I actually prefer the flat terrain with simple slopes. I prefer to focus on moving units around and battlefield tactics and strategies rather than having to worry about tough terrain and the LOS issues that come along with it.

Scanny
Sergeant Major

Postby Scanny » Sun 8 Mar 2015 12:11

I disagree, its the only map where Naval landings are required and the reuse of transports, both airborne and naval, is forced as an aspect of gameplay instead of using them one and throwing them into the enemy or chucking them into the corner of the map.

Lots of fun to go island hopping and doing direct support with Naval ships in conjunction with land forces now that ship weapons have been nerfed into the ground verses land units.

Given the mess that naval is and that many naval maps are it is the best of the bunch.
"Balance Uber Alles"

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”