How to improve naval combat?

starwave
Corporal
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat 27 Jul 2013 16:07
Contact:

How to improve naval combat?

Postby starwave » Sun 8 Mar 2015 14:12

It seems Wargame is not going to receive new stuff for a while, but since the red dragon release there has been discussion about how the new naval part was broken/etc.

The moment I start thinking about it, I get overwhelmed by the complexity of actual naval warfare in the 80s and 90s, like described in for example Red Storm Rising. The strong point of Wargame is (at least I think it is) its easy to use UI and understandable gameplay mechanics.

Just suppose for a second that we could change the game, or maybe develop a new one. How could we make the naval part better? For example with the naval only maps, what do we need to make it fun and worthwile to play?

User avatar
Vulcan 607
Major-General
Posts: 3911
Joined: Mon 31 Mar 2014 20:40
Location: Malton
Contact:

Re: How to improve naval combat?

Postby Vulcan 607 » Sun 8 Mar 2015 14:52

Most people would recommend not playing it. Not enough ships to have a believable NATO fleet. Warships cannot provide indirect fire despite it being a major role during an amphibious landing.

What else the royal navy may as well not be in game with the out dated type 21.

Redfor get 2 500 point ships NATO get a 400 point ship. (Despite the type 42 and Burke a ship that would require little work to implement)

Personally I believe Eugen didn't realize how much work would be involved adding naval

User avatar
praslovan
Major-General
Posts: 3939
Joined: Tue 20 Sep 2011 21:56
Location: Slav inhabited Alps
Contact:

Re: How to improve naval combat?

Postby praslovan » Sun 8 Mar 2015 14:53

How to improve it? Put a bullet in its head and allocate resources for better ground maps.

The idea is good however, so if they want to make Wargame Sea battle in the future it might be interesting.

User avatar
Rorschach
Lieutenant General
Posts: 4237
Joined: Tue 19 Feb 2013 18:57
Contact:

Re: How to improve naval combat?

Postby Rorschach » Sun 8 Mar 2015 17:18

Note how Eugen hasn't mentioned naval in months, whilst they've been happy to discuss pretty much every other area of balance.

Ashamed, methinks.
A brilliant plan from the dirtiest euro-hippie: get US players to pay me for a game that I then show them how much their military sucks so I can feel better about being a communist.

captaincarnage
Major
Posts: 1915
Joined: Sat 29 Mar 2014 23:50
Contact:

Re: How to improve naval combat?

Postby captaincarnage » Sun 8 Mar 2015 17:21

I'm sure if you threw enough time and money at it you could improve it, but that would surely be a pointless waste, best thing you could do with naval is quietly forget it ever existed.
I hope your buratino's die screaming.

User avatar
GBNATO
General
Posts: 5884
Joined: Sun 14 Apr 2013 12:20
Location: The Republic of Dave
Contact:

Re: How to improve naval combat?

Postby GBNATO » Sun 8 Mar 2015 17:37

captaincarnage wrote:best thing you could do with naval is quietly forget it ever existed.


Yeah that is honestly the best solution, it was half assed to say the least with only 4 nations actually having a functional naval force. OUT OF SIXTEEN!
Image

User avatar
Brutoni
Colonel
Posts: 2916
Joined: Wed 27 Mar 2013 19:44
Contact:

Re: How to improve naval combat?

Postby Brutoni » Sun 8 Mar 2015 19:53

The official line I got from FLX was this.


"Many people don't know how to play naval. It is designed to be balanced for 1v1 or 2v2 play not for larger maps. Only minor changes will happen because he has had lots of feedback that naval is now balanced."

I'm curious if anyone actually thinks that?

Reality is naval is broken, inauthentic, full of terrible abstractions and also full of magical unicorn OPVs performing better than god damned full sized Frigates and Destroyers.
ImageImage

User avatar
Rorschach
Lieutenant General
Posts: 4237
Joined: Tue 19 Feb 2013 18:57
Contact:

Re: How to improve naval combat?

Postby Rorschach » Sun 8 Mar 2015 19:57

Brutoni wrote:The official line I got from FLX was this.


"Many people don't know how to play naval. It is designed to be balanced for 1v1 or 2v2 play not for larger maps. Only minor changes will happen because he has had lots of feedback that naval is now balanced."

I'm curious if anyone actually thinks that?

Reality is naval is broken, inauthentic, full of terrible abstractions and also full of magical unicorn OPVs performing better than god damned full sized Frigates and Destroyers.



Hahahahah, "it isn't broken, people just aren't playing it correctly"


It's just sad.
A brilliant plan from the dirtiest euro-hippie: get US players to pay me for a game that I then show them how much their military sucks so I can feel better about being a communist.

User avatar
Vulcan 607
Major-General
Posts: 3911
Joined: Mon 31 Mar 2014 20:40
Location: Malton
Contact:

Re: How to improve naval combat?

Postby Vulcan 607 » Sun 8 Mar 2015 20:13

Rorschach wrote:
Brutoni wrote:The official line I got from FLX was this.


"Many people don't know how to play naval. It is designed to be balanced for 1v1 or 2v2 play not for larger maps. Only minor changes will happen because he has had lots of feedback that naval is now balanced."

I'm curious if anyone actually thinks that?

Reality is naval is broken, inauthentic, full of terrible abstractions and also full of magical unicorn OPVs performing better than god damned full sized Frigates and Destroyers.



Hahahahah, "it isn't broken, people just aren't playing it correctly"


It's just sad.



That's a simple way to solve the naval problem blame the players and deny every thing.

It's sad I have always loved naval in games

User avatar
inb4
First Sergeant
Posts: 200
Joined: Fri 27 Feb 2015 11:57

Re: How to improve naval combat?

Postby inb4 » Sun 8 Mar 2015 20:21

Brutoni wrote:I'm curious if anyone actually thinks that?


No one with a functioning brain would optionally play naval because of the mess it is, fanboys will though and fanboys never say anything bad. Plus trying to fix naval is a lost cause so no one tries to.
Image

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Shifu and 33 guests