how to deal with those 25 point spam

KattiValk
General

Re: how to deal with those 25 point spam

Postby KattiValk » Mon 16 Mar 2015 16:59

SPAAGs. Or don't play 1v1; I don't, whether or not that makes me a scrub remains to be seen.

daredevilcod wrote:all 3v3s and 4v4s are filled with pubstompers..... then wth should anyone play ?
What's stopping you from making your own lobby with the name "no teams"? It may take a bit to get enough people in your skill range, but it's hardly something you can't do.

Mike
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Mike » Mon 16 Mar 2015 17:00

daredevilcod wrote:dont play 1v1s .... dont play 10v10s ...... all 3v3s and 4v4s are filled with pubstompers..... then wth should anyone play ?

Well it appears you have 2v2 and 5v5 - 9v9 left to play.
Courtesy of KattiValk

nande
Lieutenant

Postby nande » Mon 16 Mar 2015 17:01

daredevilcod wrote:dont play 1v1s .... dont play 10v10s ...... all 3v3s and 4v4s are filled with pubstompers..... then wth should anyone play ?
the pubstompers post here, they have an agenda to keep the common man down.

Sunshine
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Sunshine » Mon 16 Mar 2015 17:42

yanyatcheng wrote:I am new to this game, and I'd find a serious problem when 1v1

Hint: The real problem hides in the quoted sentence...
(Don't play 1vs1... seriously...)
Sponsored by italic & German superiority.

stratmania
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby stratmania » Mon 16 Mar 2015 17:47

Sunshine wrote:
yanyatcheng wrote:I am new to this game, and I'd find a serious problem when 1v1

Hint: The real problem hides in the quoted sentence...
(Don't play 1vs1... seriously...)

I can pretty much assure that if you are new to the game, try to go into games where either your teammates can pick up the slack, or where your mistakes would not have too big of an impact.

10v10 comes to mind, although it is generally not accepted as a way of measuring skill. Try it out sometime. Spam can be prevalent, but sometimes your own teammates can relieve the pressure at your sector/front.

hansbroger
Lieutenant General

Postby hansbroger » Mon 16 Mar 2015 19:48

Sacrifice a cheap 40 point recon helo to ascertain the makeup and disposition of the enemies forces and configure your reserves accordingly. If you see tons of cheap cobras and hogs it's time to buy some shilkas or btr152 zpu4s
Projectnordic in game! will likely see you on pact/red dragons/french!

nande
Lieutenant

Postby nande » Mon 16 Mar 2015 20:01

hansbroger wrote:If you see tons of cheap cobras and hogs it's time to buy some shilkas or btr152 zpu4s

and hope you have an ASF cause you can bet the Nighthawk's coming.

delor
Lieutenant

Postby delor » Mon 16 Mar 2015 20:32

If you're a new player and want to do 1v1s, specify "new players" in your lobby title and use the "View Profile" button to make sure joiners don't have too many games. It won't save you against stat resetters or newly returning ALB veterans, but it'll help.

Alternately, look for bigger games. I'd be the first to argue that the best games are 2v2s, or maybe 3v3s if it's on a 4v4 map, because once the points get too high things get really obnoxious and spammy, especially in the artillery department. If you're just learning the game, however, you might want to just take what you can get when you've got more experienced players to back you up.

As for how to deal with cheap heli spam? Well, IMHO it is a strategy that is a bit too powerful because rocket pods let helicopters easily saturate ADNs since helicopters got the aim buff, but it's still only occasionally a problem. Some tips:

-Have affordable SPAAGs in your deck. Look for something that costs 30-40 points. The 25 point Vulcans that US and BD get are also adequate. Any sort of Shilka is awesome. It's not a bulletproof solution, but even in the worst case situation SPAAGs in this price range should be able to at least kill helicopters at a 3:1 point exchange, and in most cases they'll get at least double that.
(as long as they're not caught in the open, which leads us to...)

-Hopefully it goes without saying, but put those SPAAGs in a forest. That'll both let you avoid getting spotted and flown around, and also let shorter range SPAAGs still get off the first shot if some ATGM helicopters happen to be in the mix.

-With your first 160-ish points of income after the game starts, purchase and deploy cheap SPAAGs along the flanks of your rear zones to catch helicopters rushing down the sides. A pair of SPAAGs, near each other but separated a bit so a single rocket barrage doesn't pop both, can go a long way towards thinning out a mob and buying you a little time to buy more.
(you can also just buy them up front, but frequently you'll have time to defer the buy and get a stronger initial push instead)

-Send out helicopters (cheap recon ones, if you can) along major avenues of attacks so you can see the helicopters coming. If you see them, you'll get a bit more time to start spamming affordable SPAAGs and adjust your unit positioning accordingly.

-Your main push needs some AA with it. You don't want to lose most of your points for free because the heli blob lucked upon an exposed main push.

-Turn off the guns on your command unit. A command unit in a forest (or even better, command infantry in a town) is pretty hard to see unless they bring pricier recon helicopters with their push, and a lot of player forget to do that. This will let you hide until you can buy some more SPAAGs and make your command zone a less pleasant place to be.
Last edited by delor on Mon 16 Mar 2015 23:33, edited 3 times in total.

Dimonay
Lieutenant

Postby Dimonay » Mon 16 Mar 2015 21:42

Personally I think that heli spam is a bit too powerful.
But there are ways to deal with them.

Firstly start with either a cheap scout helicopter or a plane. This is just so that you can see them and prepare for them.

Secondly if there are buildings near your CV then put some manpads there. If not have some other kind of cheap AA.

Thirdly try to keep your forces together. This helps against all rushes but it does leave you vulnerable to flanking and risk losing map control. But you can get around that by sending some token infantry to hold the flanks.

Now if you are facing the smart kind of heli rushers that try and go around the edge of the map, then you are going to have a very hard time.
For everyone saying that you should not play 1vs1. I can understand you saying that, helicopter spam is very easy to pull of and very hard to counter in 1vs1. But I really like it when it is not a spam.

I am also of the opinion that 1vs1 is good for learning the game. Because of exactly the opposite reason many players tell new people to play bigger game. Everything that happens is only dependent on you and your opponent.
This makes it a lot easier to see your own mistakes and there impact.
I also think that it makes it simpler to look at what your opponent did to beat you, as you are just looking at one guy and not the whole team.
But that is only for learning purpose. It is not fun at all to get crushed all the time and that is often what happens to new 1vs1 players. Especially if they try to play ranked.

CornProducts
Colonel

Postby CornProducts » Tue 17 Mar 2015 01:34

Sometimes it pays to keep 100 or so points in reserve when the match begins. 100 points can often be enough to buy a
Spoiler : :
"Hard Counter"

to smash your enemy.

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”