F-4G Wild Weasel..

Saavedra
Chief Warrant Officer

Re: F-4G Wild Weasel..

Postby Saavedra » Sun 26 Apr 2015 00:38

Seeing how the US is mediocre at ASFs, it might as well mix weapons on its planes to be better at air-to-ground duties.

Put a mix of clusters and HE bombs on the F-111E and Intruder, LGBs on the F-111F, Shrikes and Walleyes on the Corsair, Mavericks and rockets on the Av-8B Harrier II, Mavs and Shrikes on the F-4G Wild Weasel, AMRAAMs and clusters on the Falcon C.

X-Alt
Corporal

Postby X-Alt » Sun 26 Apr 2015 01:03

Mike wrote:
X-Alt wrote:
Vulcan 607 wrote:F4g load out 2 standard missiles 2 Shrike and 4 aim 9l
I think this would work rather well the standards for long range SAM's and the shrikes for less dangerous targets

Ditch the AIM-9Ls for the AIM-7Fs usless missles that raise the price, as the former were rarely carried, and it'll be nice! Perhaps bump it up to 130 points and still plagued by low ECM.

Then get rid of them altogether.

CornProducts
Colonel

Postby CornProducts » Sun 26 Apr 2015 04:44

I kind of like the idea. It just comes down to taste.

Forimar
Captain

Postby Forimar » Sun 26 Apr 2015 05:11

Am I the only one who wants my planes to be cheaper and do one job well instead of being expensive and mediocre at 2 roles?

KattiValk
General

Postby KattiValk » Sun 26 Apr 2015 05:27

Forimar wrote:Am I the only one who wants my planes to be cheaper and do one job well instead of being expensive and mediocre at 2 roles?
My Su-27S/M and MiG-29M cloud begs to differ.

Forimar
Captain

Postby Forimar » Sun 26 Apr 2015 05:55

kiheerSEDMAN wrote:
Forimar wrote:Am I the only one who wants my planes to be cheaper and do one job well instead of being expensive and mediocre at 2 roles?

I'd rather run a card of F-16 block 52s that will smash both of those and a card of F-18Cs or harrier IIs that are cheaper and replaceable. A combo of Su-27M and MiG29M doesn't give you an effective fighter, bomber, or ATGM plane for its price, and unless you use your entire airforce in unison all the time it's not going to pay itself back as well as cheaper and more effective single role planes.

KattiValk
General

Postby KattiValk » Sun 26 Apr 2015 06:06

Forimar wrote:I'd rather run a card of F-16 block 52s that will smash both of those and a card of F-18Cs or harrier IIs that are cheaper and replaceable. A combo of Su-27M and MiG29M doesn't give you an effective fighter, bomber, or ATGM plane for its price, and unless you use your entire airforce in unison all the time it's not going to pay itself back as well as cheaper and more effective single role planes.
Saturation is the entire point...

Also, let me count MRAAM carriers for you; two Su-27S's, one Su-27M, and two MiG-29Ms plus any SRAAM carriers and SEAD that I feel like bringing in the cloud. Thus I get essentially 5 ASFs and still have AGM and cluster power without wasting cards. It may be impractical in low point games (also why I don't run it in low point decks) but with regular income, it is the easiest way to assert air superiority.

Sure, I lose knife power in the merge, but it's not like people actually will attempt to merge with the amount of AA everyone customarily brings.

Spoiler : Rambling :
I've stopped fearing top tier fighters long ago. Taking many MRAAMs is a viable and powerful option that tends to trump any super fighters and also generally handles CAP better. Nations that are good at it include the USSR, Sweden, and South Korea.
Last edited by KattiValk on Sun 26 Apr 2015 06:12, edited 2 times in total.

another505
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby another505 » Sun 26 Apr 2015 06:07

kiheerSEDMAN wrote:

Rather have my mig29m holding R-73 than 4 cluster bombs that are weak
Of Salt

Forimar
Captain

Postby Forimar » Sun 26 Apr 2015 06:40

kiheerSEDMAN wrote:
Forimar wrote:I'd rather run a card of F-16 block 52s that will smash both of those and a card of F-18Cs or harrier IIs that are cheaper and replaceable. A combo of Su-27M and MiG29M doesn't give you an effective fighter, bomber, or ATGM plane for its price, and unless you use your entire airforce in unison all the time it's not going to pay itself back as well as cheaper and more effective single role planes.
Saturation is the entire point...

Also, let me count MRAAM carriers for you; two Su-27S's, one Su-27M, and two MiG-29Ms plus any SRAAM carriers and SEAD that I feel like bringing in the cloud. Thus I get essentially 5 ASFs and still have AGM and cluster power without wasting cards. It may be impractical in low point games (also why I don't run it in low point decks) but with regular income, it is the easiest way to assert air superiority.

Sure, I lose knife power in the merge, but it's not like people actually will attempt to merge with the amount of AA everyone customarily brings.

Spoiler : Rambling :
I've stopped fearing top tier fighters long ago. Taking many MRAAMs is a viable and powerful option that tends to trump any super fighters and also generally handles CAP better. Nations that are good at it include the USSR, Sweden, and South Korea.

With single purpose planes, you can easily match that air superiority for the same price or less. For example, EC has the F-4 KWS and Mirage RDIs. Scandis have the F-16 block 15 and F-16AM, and EB has the MiG-23 and MiG-29. That's 2 cards with 5 MRAAM ASFs that cost hundreds of points less and can make the R-77 horde user think twice before going in for an engagement, and can be supplemented by another fighter card for total air superiority. The only groups that can't pull this off is the two superpowers (muh 2 per card F-15A) and RD, and USA has the Patriot anyway which pretty much counts as a ground AMRAAM. The Soviet blob is not the way to go if you want air superiority or ground attack, and I definitely don't want to pay more for a suboptimal system.
another505 wrote:Rather have my mig29m holding R-73 than 4 cluster bombs that are weak

This, the MiG-29M is awful and no one would use it if it didn't have R-77s to supplement the weak soviet ASF lineup. Largest airforce in game and there's 1 decent non-elite ASF, and meanwhile there's 6 ATGM plane options. Same with the USA, 10 different completely useless bomber loadouts but for normal ASFs you just get the stellar F-16 and underpowered F-15A.

Xeno426
Carbon 13

Postby Xeno426 » Sun 26 Apr 2015 07:01

Mike wrote:Ditch the AIM-9Ls for the AIM-7Fs usless missles that raise the price, as the former were rarely carried, and it'll be nice! Perhaps bump it up to 130 points and still plagued by low ECM.

AIM-9s were virtually never carried. It'd also be impossible to carry any AIM-9s with four AGM-45s.
CloakandDagger wrote:And you're one of the people with the shiny colored name. No wonder the game is in the state it's in.

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”