Do we have to wait 2-4 yers for a new Wargame?

Aus Askar
Sergeant First-Class

Re: Do we have to wait 2-4 yers for a new Wargame?

Postby Aus Askar » Mon 18 May 2015 04:47

WarriorWounds wrote:
kiheerSEDMAN wrote:AoA does market towards a more casual audience. Not that it's a bad thing, but the simplification and base building does not compare to the level of detailed semi-realism in Wargame.

It seems to me like a lot of the people that came to wargame were sick and tired of the base building strategy experience because it required them to do more than move a couple of units every couple of minutes. They liked watching battles take place but didn't want to work for them. This is fine, but sitting here pretending that these players have some greater holy grail of strategy going on in their gameplay is laughable, at best.

Some people want to play a grounded RTT without videogame magic. The US didn't land in Iraq and set up a factory to build their tanks and collect scrap metal and oil scattered around the desert.

Mike
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Mike » Mon 18 May 2015 04:53

Series needs a break. RD didn't go go plan and the community has gotten a bit toxic. Need some time for things to defuse.
Courtesy of KattiValk

WarriorWounds
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby WarriorWounds » Mon 18 May 2015 04:53

Aus Askar wrote:Some people want to play a grounded RTT without videogame magic. The US didn't land in Iraq and set up a factory to build their tanks and collect scrap metal and oil scattered around the desert.

Awww, but yeah you seem to fail to realize the amount of videogame magic in Wargame, Where magical supply trucks carry all of the ammunitions and fuel types and spare parts and every soldiers type for every unit in your army, and where your air units magically have the ability to just fly to a convenient airbase right behind your front lines and are constantly on call. Or just how those 15 members of those infantry squad fit into those teeny tiny single transports.

Lets not delve into ships being able to turn 360 in the water without manuvering. Or talk about the ranges of almost all units in the game being dramatically smaller than their "Realism" equivalents. Or the ground speeds of infantry moving at 30KPH. If you are going to play that card I think you need to reexamine your hand.
Last edited by WarriorWounds on Mon 18 May 2015 05:44, edited 1 time in total.

frostypooky
Lieutenant General

Postby frostypooky » Mon 18 May 2015 05:20

WarriorWounds wrote:
Aus Askar wrote:Some people want to play a grounded RTT without videogame magic. The US didn't land in Iraq and set up a factory to build their tanks and collect scrap metal and oil scattered around the desert.

Awww, but yeah you seem to fail to realize the amount of videogame magic in Wargame, Where magical supply trucks carry all of the ammunitions and fuel types and spare parts for every unit in your army, and where your air units magically have the ability to just fly to a convenient airbase right behind your front lines and are constantly on call. Or just how those 15 members of those infantry squad fit into those teeny tiny single transports.

Lets not delve into ships being able to turn 360 in the water without manuvering. Or talk about the ranges of almost all units in the game being dramatically smaller than their "Realism" equivalents. Or the ground speeds of infantry moving at 30KPH. If you are going to play that card I think you need to reexamine your hand.

you fail to realize wargame relies on abstraction and scaling to portray things in rough analogue to RL usage.

setting up a bunch of factories near oil fields isnt abstraction, or patriots shooting a nuke right before it hits your base isnt abstraction, or pumping out infantry from a barracks you built on the field of battle to send them to a bank isnt abstraction. these are imaginary concepts.

a supply truck being used to ferry everything is abstraction, or sorties being on station at map's edge is abstraction, or infantry RPG range/move speed is scaling. these are real concepts balanced within the scope of gameplay.

as for the topic, im warming up to AoA a little. ill probably end up getting it depending on the next betas. with regards to wargame, its best they take the time off for now. DLC4 wont happen so no point asking, even if it would be great. if they return to wargame in 2-3 years with a revamped engine and tools (and all of the current nations), i'll be happy, and thats probably for the best.

until then, they should make W:RD f2p with some cosmetic payments or something to revive the community a bit; yes it will bring in a lot of scrubs, but with all of the stomping going on, a couple thousand scrubs would drown it out. :lol: perhaps a revived commercial/community model would be impetus for a major balance pass or DLC 4 with maps and units. who knows.

WarriorWounds

Postby WarriorWounds » Mon 18 May 2015 05:38

I'm not about to get into an abstract argument over the semantics of abstraction in video games :) , I will only say the level of abstraction isn't really that different depending on what you value as "Realism".

As for Wargame, yeah they will probably have another steam summer sale and that will juice the player base a bit, before it gets pub stomped back into oblivion a few weeks later :(

Kastev
Command Sergeant Major

Postby Kastev » Mon 18 May 2015 05:48

I'm disappointed that AoA is basically a copy of Command and Conquer. I HATE base building RTS's so much! When I found Wargame, I became so immersed in the gameplay and how involving and fun it was, and how I didn't have to worry one bit about production facilities or gathering resources. I will not be buying AoA as I just do not like that genre of RTS's. Hopefully we'll get another Wargame someday, as it is such a unique experience

WarriorWounds

Postby WarriorWounds » Mon 18 May 2015 06:01

Kastev wrote:I'm disappointed that AoA is basically a copy of Command and Conquer.

That's just a really shallow statement, with no basis in reality.

another505
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby another505 » Mon 18 May 2015 08:17

Mike wrote:Series needs a break. RD didn't go go plan and the community has gotten a bit toxic. Need some time for things to defuse.

It does need a break
but i would say 2 more projects after AOA then a chance of a new WG??

thats kinda... sad
Of Salt

DrakFira
Sergeant

Postby DrakFira » Mon 18 May 2015 08:50

littlebird2 wrote:i wish you no success with your new game eugen. At the least you will then recognize that ppl want to play wargame and not a sort of Cod Rts. If we play an rts we wnt to play a real rts. At least i do

That's just the height of pettiness, saying you don't like something and won't buy it is fine, but the least you could do is wish Eugen some goddamn luck, if this game goes down it has the potential to drag the company down with it.

Which means no more Wargame forevermore.

You prefer that?

Wargame has been coming out for three years straight, anymore and it would basically be the COD of RTSes already, the only difference being that COD comes out every year in 2 (now 3) companies. Wargame is coming out every year by the same exact company.

anto-shturmovik
Warrant Officer

Postby anto-shturmovik » Mon 18 May 2015 09:25

DoktorvonWer wrote:
littlebird2 wrote:Eugen decided to hopp into a new Project called AOA. Its basically seeking for the average Rts guy who likes it simple.

Please leave, or at least drop your bigotries at the door.

A non-Wargame RTS isn't 'casual' or 'simple' or 'average', it's a different genre entirely. I'm fed up of hearing this utter bullshit across these forums that AoA is somehow a 'simple' game or is 'selling out' or catering to 'casuals' - apart from the fact that there's absolutely nothing wrong with 'casual' gamers, it's not the case. It's a conventional RTS with new and actually rather complex mechanics relative to the genre. It's not a successor to Wargame, it's not intended to be a successor to Wargame, so stop crying like a little bitch that you wanted it to be a successor to Wargame and you haven't got one - if you don't want a traditional RTS experience, then AoA isn't for you and you needn't be shitposting about it; go play something else instead. I don't like car racing games, I don't feel the need to whine about car racing games being 'bad' because they're not a 4X strategy.

I wish that
[EUG]MadMat wrote:x

would give the pink of shame to all the idiots who keep spewing this shit about AoA.

Basically a very big +1 to our dear doctor.

Seriously, I'm sure AoA will be a great "classical" RTS for those who like the genre. Nothing to do with catering "casuals", it's an appeal to old RTS (C&C, SC, etc.) lovers. I'm not really one of them, but after playing the beta, I dare say I might get the game when it goes on sale on steam.
Sure, it has nothing to do with wargame. Sure, I'd prefer a new wargame (especially if it's based on the thread "Wargame: Deep Battle" :D ). But it's a very good thing that a company continues to improve and to propose innovative products. AoW was innovative at its time. RUSE was innovative. The Wargame series are innovative. AoA WILL BE innovative (supply lines for resources, for instance, I've never seen that in an RTS, except Stronghold). It's great that Eugen doesn't simply rack up money on wargame.
Sure, we're going to have to wait for the new wargame. But when it comes, I'm sure it will be a blast, because the developpers will be back with fresh ideas, renewed enthusiasm, and more experience due to making 2/3 more games. All in all, that's good news.
Image courtesy of Vincent Meslet and Graphic.

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”