Do we have to wait 2-4 yers for a new Wargame?

BTR
General

Re: Do we have to wait 2-4 yers for a new Wargame?

Postby BTR » Mon 18 May 2015 21:29

Some are worth waiting for.

ALEX8
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby ALEX8 » Mon 18 May 2015 21:37

The point is that what do you want to see in a new Wargame? many people say that they did whatever needed. New units will go into present time or future, the Nato versus Pact is no longer applicable and so on.Do yo want them to make some new maps and call it WG 4? or you will be just happy with a map editor? They can add some new nations, or strategist units such as bombers and missiles and submarines under a common strategic tab (like the naval tab). But many people might not like that.

trineroks
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby trineroks » Mon 18 May 2015 22:54

Growing up with a rather extensive history with RTS (starting with Starcraft Brood War/Dune II/Tiberium series/Red Alert series, to more obscure titles like Real War Rogue States, to Company of Heroes and now the Wargame series), I'd be lying if I said I'm not interested in another base building RTS.

But I'm really surprised at the AoA naysayers - Eugen's specifically stated they wanted to return to the "golden age of RTS" and commented on games like Starcraft and C&C Generals. There is really no room for misinterpretation here (looking at you, people who expected a Wargame with basebuilding).

And what's so bad about a change in subgenre, especially when we had our fill of a realistic RTT 1 year ago? You have to realize that before the Wargame series/RUSE Eugen had their Act of War series. Ever since C&C Kane's Wrath/Red Alert 3 there has been a distinct lack of good traditional RTSes on the market (Grey Goo was a disaster). People have been waiting over 7 years for a fix.

Also to the people who claim Wargame/AoA is the harder game; you can't really make that comparison because their playstyles are just so different. There is no doubt that Wargame requires far less micromanagement and reflexive planning, but its complexity stems from the fact that you need to learn unit nuances, exploit their strengths, and know how to stage combined arms assaults. A more traditional RTS like AoA requires a lot more micromanagement, quick thinking, and the ability to multitask well. They both have their merits.

daredevilcod
Sergeant

Postby daredevilcod » Mon 18 May 2015 23:01

the problem of wargame is it is dying and wait time for a game is increasing exponentially month after month before even the release of AoA because of the matchmaking and the absence of polishing and marketing
games like COH1 survived for 4 years before the release of COH2 because of the power of its matchmaking and became the best RTS

PS: COH on release had a new style in RTS which didnt exist (resources and units system) but here it is now one of the best
I bet if WG was more polished and was taken care of, it would had been like COH or even better and could survived these 2-4 years but eugen decided 'OH YEAH lets leave this game half baked and go make another game', the only game I played for the past year was WG because it is great and i have patience to wait but not everyone has that or can afford this time.

Mako
General

Postby Mako » Mon 18 May 2015 23:06

I totally fail to understand the logic behind the lack of support for this game, there was and still is so much that could be easily done, and hasn't.
If there's two kinds of players, those that like challenges and those that want a fair game, pubstomps should make everyone happy.

Wolke
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Wolke » Mon 18 May 2015 23:42

We don't need a new wargame every year.

What we do need though is ongoing support and inprovement.

Look at Tripwire Interactive, for example.

They also make niche products, but they keep the games alive for years with new content and changes. And their customers value them for that.

The way Wargame RD (and even Wargame Alb with such a short lifespan ) got treated was a big disappointment for me.

littlebird2
Sergeant

Postby littlebird2 » Mon 18 May 2015 23:45

Wolke wrote:We don't need a new wargame every year.

What we do need though is ongoing support and inprovement.

Look at Tripwire Interactive, for example.

They also make niche products, but they keep the games alive for years with new content and changes. And their customers value them for that.

The way Wargame RD (and even Wargame Alb with such a short lifespan ) got treated was a big disappointment for me.

Qft. They wont even give us the dlc 4 map pack. Or map editor. Nor we will get alb maps which would not include much effort for eugen to release them in a dlc for rd. So thats what makes me sad when i think of waiting 2-4 years for a new war game. EUgen will completely cancel support for this game.
Last edited by littlebird2 on Tue 19 May 2015 01:50, edited 2 times in total.

Shrike
Lieutenant General

Postby Shrike » Mon 18 May 2015 23:53

Well to be fair you can blame the hackers for the lack of map packs since Eugen decided removing exploits was more important than maps and the hackers would have just killed off the game faster. Had their not been hackers, RD would be in slightly better shape with some more hopefully decent maps.

jmpveg22
Lieutenant

Postby jmpveg22 » Tue 19 May 2015 00:30

I would gladly wait 2 years for a new wargame... Assuming Eugen takes a breather and comes back to it with a more focused attitude, a stricter adherence to the cold war setting, a return to Europe (all of Europe), and a pivot towards realism.
:)

**See my signature**

frostypooky
Lieutenant General

Postby frostypooky » Tue 19 May 2015 02:51

i agree, europe as focus with China+NK+SK+Japan added back in as DLC multiplayer nations later on.

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”