Do we have to wait 2-4 yers for a new Wargame?

another505
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Re: Do we have to wait 2-4 yers for a new Wargame?

Postby another505 » Tue 19 May 2015 23:54

Shrike wrote:I liked the Redfor vs Blufor thing. I don't see anything wrong with mixed team battles. Although I believe one the reasons Madmat stated was to prevent a team of USA and USSR from overpowering everyone.

I dont think he said anything about it, but i could be wrong
I dont think so, scandi, rd motorized, eurocorp, and even somewhat landjut is top tier as ussr and usa (sovkor bs aside and sorry commonwealth, you are pretty shitty now, crap AA, overpriced tanks, a single "attack helo" , no good recon infantry aside recce, crap vehicles and mediocre ifv while not having any avail. bonus)

and hopefully, the new game would bring the minor up a bit more

and yea screw navy, if navy is going to be ingame, it needs all the focus to be done well in a standalone, which means no mix map and there would be carrier, battleship and battlecruiser, maybe even subs and much damn better UI and SOUND!
Of Salt

nWODT_Niack
Captain

Postby nWODT_Niack » Wed 20 May 2015 02:58

All of this is well and good, but if AoA doesn't bank as high as expected, Eugen might not have the capabilities to make any of the major, revolutionary changes that everyone here seems to think the Wargame series deserves.

On the other hand, if AoA meets great success (which i wish), Eugen might decide to go for an expansion / a second opus and push back Wargame 4 to a later date.

All i'm realistically looking for honestly is continued support for WRD during the AoA period. As in:
- Busting exploits that might appear in the future,
- A map pack if they can manage.
Croche et Tient

Mike
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Mike » Wed 20 May 2015 03:32

another505 wrote:SOUND!

Still waiting on ships sounds free DLC... wtf Eugen?
Courtesy of KattiValk

Forimar
Captain

Postby Forimar » Wed 20 May 2015 04:44

ALB's 1991 cutoff (IIRC) really was the best era, I'd like to keep it in the cold war and stay away from the ridiculous hero unit gameplay that comes up when you have longbows shooting T-90s while getting air cover from rafaels and arty support from AMOS...

jmpveg22
Lieutenant

Postby jmpveg22 » Wed 20 May 2015 04:44

Mike wrote:
another505 wrote:SOUND!

Still waiting on ships sounds free DLC... wtf Eugen?

I gave up on that SIMPLE fix to that painfully obvious omission/mistake months ago... especially when Eugen accused us of "whining" about strangely silent 100,000hp turbine engines, and saying "we demand too much".

It was but the first sign of things to come in RD...

Trimen
Second-Lieutenant

Postby Trimen » Wed 20 May 2015 04:46

Actually,

The best way for Eugene to make a better more cost effective Wargame is start over and not make new standalone games, but make large commercial expansions that add new era categories with single player content. This will make each iteration relevant.

1st plan on 2000AD as being the last iteration with 2005 prototypes. Create the 1st base version at 1950. The start of the cold war. This will be the New Cat F. Add prototypes up to 1955.

Expansions 1 would be set in 1960 Cat E, pre-vietnam. 1965 protos added.

Expansion 2 would be set in 1970 Cat D, covers vietnam 1975 proto added

Expansion 3 would be set in 1980 Cat C, 1985 protos added

Expansion 4 would be set in 1990 Cat B, 1995 protos added

Expansion 5 would be set in 2000 Cat A, 2005 Protos added

Hows this would work.

Unit Pricing:
Unit prices would never change but deploy point gains would increase based on Era. This way it would take the same amount of time to accrue enough points to deploy a top tier Cat F tank in a Cat F game, as it would a top tier Cat A tank in a Cat A game. Since a Cat F tank would be a fraction of the cost in a Cat A tank in a Cat A game you would be able to deploy far more of those in a given time frame .

Unit Access
Although access to units would be based on Expansion installed, a player who only owns the base game would be able to play vs Players who own all the other expansion but at a severe technological disadvantage. Good luck using a Sabre to dog fight a Su-27. This will allow players to pick and choose which eras to invest in. Want to simulate Vietnam, buy Expansion 2.

Prototypes
Prototype units should not perform at the same level as their production variant. As an incentive to buy the various expansions, Prototypes that never went into production would only be available in the area which they were developed. E.g. The MBT-70 will only appear in the Expansion 2.

This model will give the game at least 3 years of life.

How Eugene will profit

We see that in every iteration, cost go into porting previous units into the new game along with developing new era appropriate vehicles. With this model. Eugene could focus on developing new units only for the new expansions since that is what they will be introducing to the previously built roster. If each Expansion came out every 6 months at the cost of $40 USD with a $60 base game, Eugene could gross about $260USD per player over a 3 year span. In the last 3 years how much have players spent on the last 3 Wargame titles? How much did it cost to develop them.

Win for the players, win for Eugene.

jmpveg22
Lieutenant

Postby jmpveg22 » Wed 20 May 2015 04:52

Trimen wrote:Actually,

The best way for Eugene to make a better more cost effective Wargame is start over and not make new standalone games, but make large commercial expansions that add new era categories with single player content. This will make each iteration relevant.

1st plan on 2000AD as being the last iteration with 2005 prototypes. Create the 1st base version at 1950. The start of the cold war. This will be the New Cat F. Add prototypes up to 1955.

Expansions 1 would be set in 1960 Cat E, pre-vietnam. 1965 protos added.

Expansion 2 would be set in 1970 Cat D, covers vietnam 1975 proto added

Expansion 3 would be set in 1980 Cat C, 1985 protos added

Expansion 4 would be set in 1990 Cat B, 1995 protos added

Expansion 5 would be set in 2000 Cat A, 2005 Protos added

Hows this would work.

Unit Pricing:
Unit prices would never change but deploy point gains would increase based on Era. This way it would take the same amount of time to accrue enough points to deploy a top tier Cat F tank in a Cat F game, as it would a top tier Cat A tank in a Cat A game. Since a Cat F tank would be a fraction of the cost in a Cat A tank in a Cat A game you would be able to deploy far more of those in a given time frame .

Unit Access
Although access to units would be based on Expansion installed, a player who only owns the base game would be able to play vs Players who own all the other expansion but at a severe technological disadvantage. Good luck using a Sabre to dog fight a Su-27. This will allow players to pick and choose which eras to invest in. Want to simulate Vietnam, buy Expansion 2.

Prototypes
Prototype units should not perform at the same level as their production variant. As an incentive to buy the various expansions, Prototypes that never went into production would only be available in the area which they were developed. E.g. The MBT-70 will only appear in the Expansion 2.

This model will give the game at least 3 years of life.

How Eugene will profit

We see that in every iteration, cost go into porting previous units into the new game along with developing new era appropriate vehicles. With this model. Eugene could focus on developing new units only for the new expansions since that is what they will be introducing to the previously built roster. If each Expansion came out every 6 months at the cost of $40 USD with a $60 base game, Eugene could gross about $260USD per player over a 3 year span. In the last 3 years how much have players spent on the last 3 Wargame titles? How much did it cost to develop them.

Win for the players, win for Eugene.

I think Eugen should stick solely to the Cold War arena... then have DLC for era's afterwards. But i also think they should make you forcibly choose the era you are competing in when creating a deck. With differing units and availability for each era. So when you make an online game you can say only decks from "____ era to ______ era" can enter this game.

I went into it in my signature at one point.

ElTaco
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby ElTaco » Wed 20 May 2015 07:47

littlebird2 wrote:Eugen decided to hopp into a new Project called AOA. Its basically seeking for the average Rts guy who likes it simple. Wargame was a niche product. I enjoy it since years and iam sad that there has come an end to wargame for at least a few years. I really hope, as much as i like wargame and the devs that AOA fails and that eugen hopps back to their successfull and overall very nice wargame.

i wish you no success with your new game eugen. At the least you will then recognize that ppl want to play wargame and not a sort of Cod Rts. If we play an rts we wnt to play a real rts. At least i do

It will be a couple years but who cares, If they take their time they can put in all sorts of new things and even fix unit models and update the unit models on the older stuff.

Steamfunk
Lieutenant

Postby Steamfunk » Wed 20 May 2015 15:20

How the publishers will profit - by ignoring all of us and repackaging the same s***.

TwojaStara
First Sergeant

Postby TwojaStara » Wed 20 May 2015 21:08

Eugen could just implement proper radio communications/interferances and (proper) delayed orders like in real life and that alone would be enough to be game changer and could give interesing new game modes. Additionally they should allow more advanced UI options (ambush, return fire/hold fire, etc) and deal with some oversimplifications. People (including myself) were making long lists of potential improvements. Eugen has even something to learn from games by single developer like Armored Brigade (freeware) http://www.wargamer.com/Article/3324 , but somehow refuses to listen to the community.

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”