Missile Damage Against Jets

Bluecewe
Sergeant Major

Missile Damage Against Jets

Postby Bluecewe » Tue 16 Jun 2015 20:42

If a radar missile impacts a jet, how is the damage that the jet will receive determined?

I ask this because I was recently surprised to see an F/A-18C Hornet that I was employing destroyed with one missile fired from a radar AA, the 9K33 OSA-AKM. This was especially odd, given that I have long made extensive use of jets, and yet had not noticed any of my jets being destroyed with a single missile. It seems likely that this must have happened on previous occasions, but I have only now noticed.

Up until this point, my understanding had been that the damage dealt by a radar missile against a jet was straightforward: it was simply the HE power listed as part of a unit's statistics. As the 9K33 OSA-AKM mentioned earlier possesses a HE power of 7, under this understanding, it would not be possible for the unit to destroy jets possessing 10 strength, which are most jets, including the F/A-18C Hornet.

However, the Hornet was certainly destroyed with a single missile. Therefore, the unit's HE power must have been inflated beyond 7 by some formula, perhaps similar to how the damage from AP power is determined. Or, perhaps this is a bug. If it is a formula, what is this formula? Further, is this the case for all AA missiles, including infrared, and those fired by jets against other jets?

As an aside, I have uploaded a series of tests I conducted with a friend concerning this matter. We were able to replicate on multiple occasions AA destroying jets with a single missile. The replay for BLUFOR AA is here, while that for REDFOR AA is here.
Last edited by Bluecewe on Tue 16 Jun 2015 20:47, edited 2 times in total.

frostypooky
Lieutenant General

Re: Missile Damage Against Jets

Postby frostypooky » Tue 16 Jun 2015 20:46

there are weapon damage crits IIRC

also, pure physical characteristic of explosion is considered as well... this is why sometimes missile detonates but less than normal damage, or none at all.

delor
Lieutenant

Postby delor » Tue 16 Jun 2015 21:56

Weapons occasionally do a double damage "critical hit". Any chance-to-hit above 85% also goes into this probability and the CTH remains at 85%, so in situations where the modified accuracy of a weapon is very high this is more likely to happen.

Additionally, the status-effect type critical hits cause extra damage. My understanding is that it's mostly +1 damage for each status effect, except for the ammo explosion one, which causes +2.

So, sometimes weapons can get lucky and one-shot something they might not normally. This is especially noticeable with anti-plane weapons, since many of them do 5+ damage (where a double-damage crit will turn it into a one-shot) or 9 damage. (where any damage increasing effect turns it into a one-shot)

EInarial
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby EInarial » Wed 17 Jun 2015 05:45

I see tank guns often well over 85...?

Mike
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Mike » Wed 17 Jun 2015 13:51

EInarial wrote:I see tank guns often well over 85...?

Which is why tanks can give crits too. Optics damaged, weapons jammed, internal ammo explosion..
Courtesy of KattiValk

MILINTarctrooper
Major

Postby MILINTarctrooper » Wed 17 Jun 2015 17:27

Mike wrote:

Which is why tanks can give crits too. Optics damaged, weapons jammed, internal ammo explosion..

So that is why Crits only happen after a higher percentage? In the other War Games the crits were base rolled...not percentage based.
52.2% 1v1 Ranked 32.2% Multi since Open Beta.

delor
Lieutenant

Postby delor » Wed 17 Jun 2015 17:55

My understanding is that the double damage critical hits and the status-effect type critical hits are separate things, although this is just derived from forum scuttlebutt and may not be correct.

What I know of the double-damage ones is described above- some sort of flat chance plus any accuracy over 85% overflows into that chance. No idea how the status-effect type critical hits are calculated. Flat chance? Scales with damage inflicted? Something else?

If you search the forum threads a lot, maybe you can find the original posts on the subject and see if they have more detail, or perhaps someone with a better idea will chime in in this thread.

Mike
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Mike » Wed 17 Jun 2015 18:36

MILINTarctrooper wrote:
Mike wrote:

So that is why Crits only happen after a higher percentage? In the other War Games the crits were base rolled...not percentage based.

They can happen at lower accuracies but are more common at higher accuracy from what I understand. I'm sure FLX can tell you plenty more.
Courtesy of KattiValk

Tied
Sergeant Major

Postby Tied » Wed 17 Jun 2015 18:54

Buk should really be 10 HE

Kastev
Command Sergeant Major

Postby Kastev » Wed 17 Jun 2015 19:46

Tied wrote:Buk should really be 10 HE

No. Because then you'd have to apply the same logic to the HAWK's and Patriot. I would NOT want a 10 HE Patriot running around in Wargame. Jesus.

What should be 10 HE is the Pongae 2 (or 3?) that the NK have. It USED to have a whoppin 10 HE, and was the only AA capable of 1 shotting a plane without critting it. Make 10 HE, nerf accuracy 5 - 10% more, and lower availbility, and you've got a very niche AA system for a country in dire need of gimmicks.

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”