Wargame franchise

hansbroger
Lieutenant General

Re: Wargame franchise

Postby hansbroger » Wed 9 Mar 2016 23:50

Xeno426 wrote:The Iran-Iraq war would be an interesting conflict for Wargame to do. I don't think it would have the same issues that many other conflicts in that region would have.

Yeah both sides were very symmetrically balanced to the point of using the same kit in many cases. You also don't really have any of the highly problematic high capability units of now developed factions. When you remove the political and C&C issues they are utterly balanced sides. Aaaand.... More Tomcat!
Projectnordic in game! will likely see you on pact/red dragons/french!

morpher
Major-General

Postby morpher » Thu 10 Mar 2016 00:38

Vulcan 607 wrote:
morpher wrote:
Vulcan 607 wrote:in particular Israel adds lots of units.

Can you tell me one unit that could bring some unique gameplay, not just a tank with slightly different stats, that is not available with the nations currently in wargame?

Makreva tank infantry carrier
Makreva tank with mortar
Lots of jets with unique features

Anyway I want a decent 1v4 campaign Israel vs Egypt, Syria, Jordan and Iraq

Anyway with that attitude what's the point of another wargame it will just be slightly different from the last one

Not more nations but more mechanics.

morpher
Major-General

Postby morpher » Thu 10 Mar 2016 00:43

hansbroger wrote:
morpher wrote:
Vulcan 607 wrote:in particular Israel adds lots of units.

Can you tell me one unit that could bring some unique gameplay, not just a tank with slightly different stats, that is not available with the nations currently in wargame?

Ratel (and variants), Rooikat (and variants), ZT-3 Ingwe (only Bluefor SALH vehicle ATGM) , Folland Gnat, Canberra, Buccaneer, Vickers MBT Series, Olifant, innumerable SF...

Oh wait IDF...... F-16 Ra'am.... More F-16 and A-4...Lavi.....M48 Tamuz/M113 Hafiz... M48/60 Magach because sexy. Bluefor 105 armed T-55/62 Tiran. Merkava, great AAMS and ATG Munitions.....Nagmashot/Nagmachon/Nakpadon/Puma/Achzarit Uber heavy APCs...all the SF and shock inf you ever wanted.....weird stuff like Denel howitzers...
http://www.janes.com/article/53506/anal ... e-launcher

Israel brings great infantry and tons of other cool flavorful stuff but when it comes to Tamuz.... We're talking about bringing NLOS to the table in the 1980s (IOC in 1982)......at a time when the Pentagon was only fantasizing about EFOGM.... Think 20km range ATGM
http://www.army-technology.com/projects/efogm/

aaaand..... Of course there's BTR's with BMP-turrets, T-55 turrets and ZSU-57-2 turrets.... The glory of Cuban Motorized!

CubKor Motorized Ftw.

So, tank with atgms, various combinations of guns/wheels and tracks, F16s... I think there already is all this in wargame. Different names, different models but it is all already here. Do we really need mode T-55s?

hansbroger
Lieutenant General

Postby hansbroger » Thu 10 Mar 2016 01:30

morpher wrote:So, tank with atgms, various combinations of guns/wheels and tracks, F16s... I think there already is all this in wargame. Different names, different models but it is all already here. Do we really need mode T-55s?

Yes we need more T-55/T-62 because they have all sorts of stuff welded to them and look really cool.

But seriously. NLOS. It's not only a capability absent in Wargame.... It's the M113 to rule them all!
Projectnordic in game! will likely see you on pact/red dragons/french!

The W:AB Noob
Lieutenant General

Postby The W:AB Noob » Thu 10 Mar 2016 07:20

There have been many threads like this, and I have responded many times. Anyway...
One of my biggest concerns is fewer units. 1700 is way too many, and it is overwhelming to mediocre players, not to mention new players. I kinda wish the W:RD only had the new nations plus US and USSR, maybe UK, France, and West Germany. Scandinavia had no place at all in East Asia. To be honest, I can't really think of a better setting than W:EE. Yeah, new nations, eras, and theaters like the Middle East and South Africa are interesting, but people from Europe and Asia would be crying that their nation should also be included. And if they are, it would be too many countries. It might be better just to create better mod tools and leave that stuff to the modders.

Also, call it heresy, but I think a WWII naval combat could be a possibility. The game philosophy would have to be very much changed though, the reinforcement and zone system might not be very good for it.
W:RD Sandbox Mod 5.4.2, the Final and Ultimate Patch Click -> Image

LightMonk
First Sergeant

Postby LightMonk » Mon 30 Jan 2017 12:16

Heyha, wanted to know if there are any indications to a new installment of the wargame franchise.
Many people I played with and ofc me liked Wargame ALB and disliked the changes made with RD (Artillery too strong, Supply ways too long, not enough cover)
I would be happy if a new Wargame could consider a middleway between ALB & RD or try something completely new by trying to make a WW1 or WW2 Wargame™

antizombies_boy
First Sergeant

Postby antizombies_boy » Mon 30 Jan 2017 15:37

IMO next Wargame franchise title should be focused in Mediterranean Sea enviroment. Why this:

-It's a main scenario never used in Wargame (Cold War existed on Mediterranean too).
-The amount of "new" countries it could bring (Spain, Italy, Yugoslavia, Greece, Romania, Bulgaria, Greece, Turkey, Syria, Lebanon, Israel, Jordania, Egypt, Libya, Algeria, Tunisia and others could be added).
-It's possible create a good numbers of different campaings on this theatre. (Between Turkey and Greece with other allis (BF vs BF), Italy and Spain vs Romania and Bulgaria (BF vs RF), Israel and UK vs Syria and Egypt (BF vs RF), Egypt with Syria and Algeria vs Turkey with Greece and Israel (Big BF vs big RD), Algeria and Tunisia vs Egypt and Libya (RF vs RF), Yugoslavia vs Romania and Bulgaria (RF vs RF), Spain and Italy with Greece vs Egypt with Libya and Algeria (RF vs BF), these are only few examples of the possibilities, knowing that there are a big a mount of countries close one each other on this scenario).

These are my reasons.

Majstor44
Private First-Class

Postby Majstor44 » Mon 30 Jan 2017 16:09

antizombies_boy wrote:IMO next Wargame franchise title should be focused in Mediterranean Sea enviroment. Why this:

-It's a main scenario never used in Wargame (Cold War existed on Mediterranean too).
-The amount of "new" countries it could bring (Spain, Italy, Yugoslavia, Greece, Romania, Bulgaria, Greece, Turkey, Syria, Lebanon, Israel, Jordania, Egypt, Libya, Algeria, Tunisia and others could be added).
-It's possible create a good numbers of different campaings on this theatre. (Between Turkey and Greece with other allis (BF vs BF), Italy and Spain vs Romania and Bulgaria (BF vs RF), Israel and UK vs Syria and Egypt (BF vs RF), Egypt with Syria and Algeria vs Turkey with Greece and Israel (Big BF vs big RD), Algeria and Tunisia vs Egypt and Libya (RF vs RF), Yugoslavia vs Romania and Bulgaria (RF vs RF), Spain and Italy with Greece vs Egypt with Libya and Algeria (RF vs BF), these are only few examples of the possibilities, knowing that there are a big a mount of countries close one each other on this scenario).

These are my reasons.

I do support adding for example Italy as a Blufor DLC, but your conflicts are way off. Turkey and Greece on the same side, hell no, Yugoslavia vs Bulgaria maybe, but not against Romania (they had a large cooperation in this time, J-22/IAR-93 project as example), why in the hell would Spain and Italy invade Bulgaria and Romania, later two are on the Black sea, not Mediterranean. You cant make conflicts with no sense, there has to be a reason for them to wage war. And Arabs attacking Arabs? While there is Israel state in the middle of all of them?

Much better theater would be Middle east, wars there are happening even today, and it would be cool that Eugen somehow spread the cutoff date even more, so we see more modern units.

HrcAk47
Colonel

Postby HrcAk47 » Mon 30 Jan 2017 16:24

An interesting campaign would be Greece vs. Turkey, during which Greece changes side and joins REDFOR.

Other campaigns that could be made:

Yugoslavia vs. Italy - mountain/littoral combat around Trieste, Isonzo, Istria

Bulgaria vs. Turkey and MEDFOR - attack through the southern border while Black Sea Fleet is locked away in the Southern Med

Yugoslavia + Romania vs. USSR/Pact

Soviet takeover of Bosphorus and Dardanelles

Traditional Israel vs. Arabs.
The SEAD never bothered me anyway.

SMB Yugoslavia Retexture Mod, now released, v.1.0

steppewolf
Second-Lieutenant

Postby steppewolf » Mon 30 Jan 2017 16:46

Majstor44 wrote:Much better theater would be Middle east, wars there are happening even today, and it would be cool that Eugen somehow spread the cutoff date even more, so we see more modern units.

Middle East states have crap stuff;
Locally produced T-72 should be weaker than base T-72
http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/moder ... -Babil.php
T-55 Enigma is a joke:
http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/moder ... 55-enigma/
what works for them is only the Soviet equipment and occasionally some Western stuff...all would be basically clones of what we already have in game, there is nothing original there except maybe some arty .

What I'd like to see added and may have some original stuff is Italy, Romania, South-Africa, Cuba, Bulgaria, Spain, heck even small Portugal may claim more originality than Iraq/Syria and whatever other Middle East states from time frame of the game. Middle East is a blocked path, they used to behave like today ISIS artisanal works just they have a bit better means.

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”