Has anyone, EVER, had a good Naval battle?

SpitfireMK-Pony
Warrant Officer

Has anyone, EVER, had a good Naval battle?

Postby SpitfireMK-Pony » Sat 4 Jul 2015 00:23

By now, the majority think naval is more or less a steaming pile of S**t. and there seems to be very little argument to the contrary...

But that's not what this thread is about, not what "could have been", or if "naval should have been killed off ages ago". Every cloud has a silver lining or something.

Can you recall a time, where you ever engaged in Naval based operations, and actually enjoyed it? What was that one (or more) confrontation that actually didn't leave you cursing at the navies of the world? (No it does not have to be on those Navy Only maps, I mean, who's ever had fun there?)

For me, I can recall only one time I actually had fun playing Navy. D-Day in paradise and I was playing a Chinese Marine deck and I decided to be a bit ambitious and shoot for a naval landing along the center sectors. With my Two Jiang-Hos or whatever the hell there called, I encountered a Japanese ship (what ever the 250 point one is).

And for once, it did not instantly devolve into 'Who can spam the most ASM Planes", we both called a few more ships out to the fight and actually had a good time. Instead of just throwing ASMs at each other, we we're weaving in and out of the islands, gaining and loosing LoS, opening up with the main guns at each other. We we're both being extremely mobile, and we're wresting above for the skies, trying to get close enough to take out the enemy ASF and bombers (which were supporting marine landings on both sides, to try to gain an advantage there), but also avoid fire from enemy ships below. We both actually had fun, and both commented something along the lines of "This is what Naval should have been like".

Mister Maf
Lieutenant

Re: Has anyone, EVER, had a good Naval battle?

Postby Mister Maf » Sat 4 Jul 2015 00:28

Once you slug your way though a naval battle, amphibious assaults are hella fun. It's just the "getting to that point in the first place" part that sucks. No, I can't really recall any particularly fun ship-ship battle, moving around islands or not. Ganking them with a ton of AShM planes is fun, though! And it's also the reason why people just use amphibious CVs to hold naval command zones anymore! :roll:
Last edited by Mister Maf on Sat 4 Jul 2015 00:29, edited 1 time in total.

Countess Bathory
Colonel

Postby Countess Bathory » Sat 4 Jul 2015 00:29

Yes, the beginning of the closed beta when you could control enemy units. That was hilarious.
Accept Roki Vulovic as your Lord and Saviour today and beware of the false prophet, Jesus Christ

captaincarnage
Major

Postby captaincarnage » Sat 4 Jul 2015 01:06

Not unless you count using M1A2's to sink Sov's and Udaloys on another DDay.
I hope your buratino's die screaming.

another505
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby another505 » Sat 4 Jul 2015 01:29

Countess Bathory wrote:Yes, the beginning of the closed beta when you could control enemy units. That was hilarious.

It was so evil....

Fleets are hiding behind an island, then call them out to face waves of ASHM without enemy player noticing....

or the flying seads missile one shotting everyship basically... that was dumb
Of Salt

jhfts
Command Sergeant Major

Postby jhfts » Sat 4 Jul 2015 05:35

Now and then, I have good naval battle - not too long ago, I had fun playing Another D-day in Paradise when the only people playing naval during a 10 v 10 were myself and one other player on the opposing team. I had a La Fayette / Type 21 / Baek-Ku combo that stomped a number of REDFOR frigates.

I would agree, though, that the naval play is basically sub-par compared to the rest of the game. There are a lot of reasons for this, but the one that seems most relevant here is that the game dynamics break down quite severely with large numbers of players.

In 1 v 1 matches, when there are only a handful of warships in play, naval can actually work. BLUFOR ships can actually penetrate CIWS, while REDFOR doesn't need to worry about a swarm of BLUFOR aircraft ambushing every missile boat they see. The problem is when there are more players, leading to massive clumps of ships centred multiple Kongos / Sov / Udaloys. The only way to overcome such concentrations is to employ massive missile spam. Ships often don't leave their arrival sectors, because out in the ocean, friendly REDFOR interceptors won't arrive quickly enough to take out enemy AShM carriers, while BLUFOR ships don't have enough striking power to go on the offense against REDFOR vessels.

fiese_moep
Warrant Officer

Postby fiese_moep » Sat 4 Jul 2015 08:49

I win most of the time with bluefor marine deck on another dday in paradise and gunboat diplomaty.

But i play very offensive.

Excroat3
Captain

Postby Excroat3 » Sat 4 Jul 2015 18:11

defending against/launching an amphibious assault on mixed naval maps is possibly the most fun I've had on wargame. The chaos that erupts when the enemy throws everything it has at you to get your forces off that beach and when you do the same to hold it is amazing.

BassiveMollocks
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby BassiveMollocks » Sat 4 Jul 2015 18:31

I once used only Type 21's (back when most of the gun ranges were borked for BLU), lynx helos and LCU's to beat an alll in SOV and UDA etc RED fleet. I have no idea how it happened, seeing as ship vs ship warfare comes down to who's ship is better, not like land combat where you can use shitty units effectively. Shitty naval units are shitty.

Trimen
Second-Lieutenant

Postby Trimen » Sat 4 Jul 2015 19:08

Answer No;

Tried mixed naval and pure naval.

There are too many issues about the naval aspect that I rather not get into since they have been discussed on many threads. Suffice it to say that in all of my experience, I have yet to come out of a match saying, wow the naval aspect of that fight was cool. In fact, aside from my 1st decks built. I do not even bother adding any units to the Naval tab.

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”