Marine Air Superiority in the Two Alliances

Bluecewe
Sergeant Major

Marine Air Superiority in the Two Alliances

Postby Bluecewe » Thu 10 Sep 2015 15:42

The Situation
In a BLUFOR marine deck, players have access to a range of low to medium quality air superiority fighters (ASFs).

In a REDFOR marine deck, players have access to a range of high quality ASFs. This includes the MiG-29 9-13S, the SU-27SK, the SU-27PU, and the YAK-141.

The Question
Could someone please explain to me why this is the case? Either I must be missing something, or this is a highly conspicuous case of imbalance.

It's quite possible that the nature of this post will lead to unproductive tribal disagreements. Nonetheless, I hope some will be able to make positive contributions to the discussion.
Last edited by Bluecewe on Thu 10 Sep 2015 19:46, edited 1 time in total.

Razzmann
General

Re: Marine Air Superiority in the Two Alliances

Postby Razzmann » Thu 10 Sep 2015 16:23

The problem is that the Super Hornet and Tomcat rot in the naval tab.

Mitchverr
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Mitchverr » Thu 10 Sep 2015 16:36

Well, i would say its likely down to a less than efficient (in my personal view) usage of airframes or a limitation in number of frames forcing 1 to do a role because the other varients are not there, many of the "late era" marine frames for blufor forces are tied up using ground attack weapon systems or in the navy tab.

Such as the super hornet and tomcat being navy, the Sea harrier FA.2 is SEAD equiped and not AMRAAM(and a possible asraam if eugen was kind and made it a prototype, with the gr tornado converted for sead and the gr5 to carry the cluster) and so on.

Thats kind of the reason i suspect.

Bluecewe
Sergeant Major

Postby Bluecewe » Thu 10 Sep 2015 17:02

Mitchverr wrote:Well, i would say its likely down to a less than efficient (in my personal view) usage of airframes or a limitation in number of frames forcing 1 to do a role because the other varients are not there, many of the "late era" marine frames for blufor forces are tied up using ground attack weapon systems or in the navy tab.

That is an interesting line of thought. However, the SU-27K, available in NAVAL for REDFOR, is quite equivalent to the F/A-18E Super Hornet, in that they both have a long-range anti-aircraft missile amply suitable for air superiority operations.

Regardless, I cannot imagine how allowing BLUFOR marine decks access to high quality air superiority fighters, such as the F-15C, Eurofighter, or Mirage 2000C RDI, would lead to an imbalance. The divergence between BLUFOR and REDOR right now in this regard is quite stark. Were this divergence to be removed, it would simply place BLUFOR on a level playing field with REDFOR.

Mitchverr
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Mitchverr » Thu 10 Sep 2015 17:03

IIRC its based on "if the plane can get off a carrier" or being a known marine support platform in usage.

CandyMan
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby CandyMan » Thu 10 Sep 2015 17:24

What's the best tank in each coalitions mixed marine decks?
Your standard pinko Commie swine...
Rabidnid wrote:NK has a veritable cornucopia of mediocrity to choose from when it comes to inexpensive vehicular recon!

nande
Lieutenant

Postby nande » Thu 10 Sep 2015 17:28

BLUFOR Marine's quite viable, if lacking decent ASF. Not top-tier, but like a poor man's moto.

IIRC none of the red decks even have access to line inf.

Razzmann
General

Postby Razzmann » Thu 10 Sep 2015 17:31

nande wrote:IIRC none of the red decks even have access to line inf.

Not a huge loss since most of them suck anyways :lol:

Bluecewe
Sergeant Major

Postby Bluecewe » Thu 10 Sep 2015 17:54

nande wrote:BLUFOR Marine's quite viable, if lacking decent ASF. Not top-tier, but like a poor man's moto.

The viability of BLUFOR marine decks is not at issue here.

The matter at hand is that this is such a conspicuous imbalance without any particularly powerful justification. There does not seem to be any strong rationale against BLUFOR being afforded access to high quality air superiority fighters (ASFs) in marine decks.

In the absence of a compelling argument to the contrary, if REDFOR marines have access to high quality ASFs, then so too should BLUFOR.

Woozle
Captain

Postby Woozle » Thu 10 Sep 2015 17:59

Bluecewe wrote:
nande wrote:BLUFOR Marine's quite viable, if lacking decent ASF. Not top-tier, but like a poor man's moto.

The viability of BLUFOR marine decks is not at issue here.

The matter at hand is that this is such a conspicuous imbalance without any particularly powerful justification. There does not seem to be any strong rationale against BLUFOR being afforded access to high quality air superiority fighters (ASFs) in marine decks.

In the absence of a compelling argument to the contrary, if REDFOR marines have access to high quality ASFs, then so too should BLUFOR.

For the same reason US has a strategic SAM and TBMs but USSR does not. "Not everyone can have everything"

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”