Wargame: Red Dragon's 'Map Patch #1' Preview

Excroat3
Captain

Re: Wargame: Red Dragon's 'Map Patch #1' Preview

Postby Excroat3 » Mon 5 Oct 2015 19:53

Excited for the maps, saddened by the mods that will be delayed because of this.

Darkmil
Brigadier

Postby Darkmil » Mon 5 Oct 2015 20:21

Bollywood Baloney wrote:
Darkmil wrote:At least I tried...

Can't you just merge your everything.ndfbin into the new NDF_Win???

We could, but I'm not sure, aren't map also dependant on the everything.ndfbin ?

[EUG]MadMat
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby [EUG]MadMat » Mon 5 Oct 2015 20:28

Ultimaratio wrote:Very hyped now! TMI is includend in this pack too?

No.
Next one.

Darkmil wrote:We could, but I'm not sure, aren't map also dependant on the everything.ndfbin ?

From what I understood, the problem isn't the maps but the balance changes coming with them.

Darkmil
Brigadier

Postby Darkmil » Mon 5 Oct 2015 20:30

[EUG]MadMat wrote:
Darkmil wrote:We could, but I'm not sure, aren't map also dependant on the everything.ndfbin ?

From what I understood, the problem isn't the maps but the balance changes coming with them.

If we mod the game we can get rid of your changes (as long as you don't add anything), or implement them ourself ;)

The W:AB Noob
Lieutenant General

Postby The W:AB Noob » Mon 5 Oct 2015 20:34

Darkmil wrote:
[EUG]MadMat wrote:
Darkmil wrote:Can it be realeased as the 610 in order not to break mods ? Pretty please !

i'm afraid we can't do that. :?

At least I tried...

Chances are that it won't break mods. Even though there will be a new patch, there are no new units, which mean theoretically, most .ndfbin files like everything.ndfbin and .dic files like unites.dic will be able to be imported into the new NDF_Win.dat. The worst thing that might happen is that automatic installers might have to be patched. I have little fear of mods being broken right now. In fact, I'm actually looking forward to the new Straight very much which will give me a good setting for one of my mod ideas...

EDIT: Just realized I was ninja'd
EDIT #2: And changes? Dang it MadMat. :(
W:RD Sandbox Mod 5.4.3 Click -> Image

The W:AB Noob
Lieutenant General

Postby The W:AB Noob » Mon 5 Oct 2015 20:51

Noob's review of Map Patch #1.
Mud Fight: Eh.
Bravo side gets total advantage. Not only do they have a closer zone with a road going straight to if from main, but the road also gets to Charlie and Alpha quicker. Plus they have a forest from which to attack Charlie, while Echo side only has some tree lines.

Paddy Fields: Ooh.
I'm liking this version a lot better than the old one, with less choke points. Map is mostly balanced, and there is a ton of flanking room, which I love.

Battle of Yuchalnok Pass: YES!
Finally, there isn't only one road your troops have to use to get to the battlefield. I am really loving this version. Navy is reduced to more of a support role, Smerch spam at the start is less effective, and there are two flanks to defend from. My only worry is that ships won't be fighting ships, which means ASM planes are the only effective counter, meaning airspam...

The Green Mile: Ugh.
All you need here is one teammate to fail in defending a base/flank. This map will be okay if two clans are fighting while using Teamspeak. For randoms, it's gonna be messy. Personally, I would like Charlie and Kilo to be the starting bases. That way, there is a huge amount of room for flanking and any base can be attacked without notice. However, SEAD planes would dominate, as ASF's would take too long to get there...
W:RD Sandbox Mod 5.4.3 Click -> Image

Mitchverr
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Mitchverr » Mon 5 Oct 2015 21:00

I assume no leaking of the few balance changes to come then? :(

Cmon, might be the last time you can enlight the forums in flamewars, thought you loved that! :lol:

Elder Forest
Sergeant First-Class

Postby Elder Forest » Mon 5 Oct 2015 21:26

Mud Fight: Eh.
Bravo side gets total advantage. Not only do they have a closer zone with a road going straight to if from main

I don't think it's that clear cut - there is very little cover for a CV early into Delta so they get there quick but with nowhere to hide, in contrast Foxtrot may come into play slighty later but it has decent sized woods to hand for early concelament.

the road also gets to Charlie and Alpha quicker

There's not much in it - if both sides rush for Alpha by road they will collide (unless one side is a Britsh deck!).

Plus they have a forest from which to attack Charlie, while Echo side only has some tree lines

But Echo side will get to the town between Charlie and Foxtrot first which will give them a dominant position over the approaches to these zones which evens things out - for both sides keeping a CV alive in Charlie is going to be a challenge.

delor
Lieutenant

Postby delor » Mon 5 Oct 2015 22:25

Looking at this as a Conquest player...

Mud Fight looks super fun, and I agree with Elder that it's not clear cut who has the advantage. Red's got better terrain in Foxtrot, and... maybe... slightly faster access to Alpha including the town that blocks the only road in. Blue gets super fast access to Delta and Charlie. Balanced? No idea, but I'm interested in trying it.

Paddy. Owch, that red deployment zone. Hope you like getting your deployment lane CV popped. Overall I like the terrain for blue better, too. Looks blue-sided to me. If it doesn't end up too painfully one-sided, though, it does look like it could be fun.

Yuchalnock. Hmm. Deployment sides on either half. Very intriguing. Big map. No idea how it'll play.

Green Mile: Bring it on! This looks super exciting.
Last edited by delor on Mon 5 Oct 2015 22:41, edited 1 time in total.

delor
Lieutenant

Postby delor » Mon 5 Oct 2015 22:35

One suggestion for Paddy:

Start Red at Hotel, and move Delta over further to the side. This way, Red gets some proper cover to hide their home CV in. It also puts them a bit closer to Golf and Bravo, to help to compensate for the fact that Blue is on top of the hill and can use that ridge as a firing line they can safely march units up to.

Swap the Echo and Alpha point values, too, for control value symmetry.

It'd look a bit like this...

paddy_1v1.jpg
paddy_1v1.jpg (193.83 KiB) Viewed 862 times

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”