Page 8 of 9

Re: Lessons for the Next Wargame

Posted: Mon 12 Oct 2015 01:00
by captain biggles
Drang wrote:
captain biggles wrote:A few things i would love to see.


Selectable Ammo:
Spoiler : :
For instance:

Say I have a Challenger 1 Mk.3 that say, costs 140 points with no ammo.

So i have the option of the L15 APDS (if it could even fire it), the L23A1 APFSDS and the L26A1 "Jericho" APFSDS.

The L15 APDS could cost 5 points for instance bringing the cost to 145 points.

The L23A1 APFSDS could cost 10 points for instance bringing the cost to 150 points.

The L26A1 APFSDS could cost 15 points for instance bringing the cost to 155 points.

So ammo could work a bit like experience, with one major difference: instead of availability, it's price.


Towed/Air-lifted equipment:
Spoiler : :
Things like the Towed Hawk or L118, It would help flesh out nations like ANZAC.


Destructible Environments:
Spoiler : :
Not all of it, just key points like bridges, maybe even buildings could block roads and stop vehicles from passing.


Engineer vehicles:
Spoiler : :
AVLBs to fix said bridges, maybe ARVs to repair vehicles under fire, being less vulnerable thanks to their armour.


Just ideas, that's all.


Tedious micro and more things to turn the game into an agonizing slog?

No: "Flavour"

Re: Lessons for the Next Wargame

Posted: Mon 12 Oct 2015 01:19
by Drang
None of these things are flavour, as every nation has them, and would just slow the game down even more.

Being able to blow bridges and replace them with Baileys would only work if rivers existed outside of main clash zones, so destroying a bridge was an interdict of reinforcements rather than creating a deliberate obstacle.

Re: Lessons for the Next Wargame

Posted: Mon 12 Oct 2015 14:17
by philmd
I strongly believe a map editor would really help this game to stay fun (or at least publish the map format).

Also I'd like to suggest a new game mode (perhaps called breakthrough or something similar), a bit like Battlefield 3 had it, where one team is permanently on the defense and the other on the offense. Defense has to hold several zones, perhaps aligned in a row, while offense has to take them. Offense gets more points and perhaps bonus points when capturing a zone. If defense still holds at least one zone after X minutes win goes to them, otherwise the game is over once offense has captured all zones (and win goes to offense).

Re: Lessons for the Next Wargame

Posted: Mon 12 Oct 2015 20:01
by DeckCheney
Simplest Note for Eugen:

Don't release a half-arsed unfinished product. The game still has massive balance issues that haven't been addressed since beta.

I'd rather Eugen have waited a few more months during beta to work out all the issues and listen to community feedback than simply pushing ahead to make the release date.

____

Also fire the person who thought introducing the Patriot was a good idea. Like that guy is in need of mental help.

Re: Lessons for the Next Wargame

Posted: Mon 12 Oct 2015 20:06
by Mike
DeckCheney wrote:Simplest Note for Eugen:

Don't release a half-arsed unfinished product. The game still has massive balance issues that haven't been addressed since beta.

I'd rather Eugen have waited a few more months during beta to work out all the issues and listen to community feedback than simply pushing ahead to make the release date.


Massive balance issues? That's an exaggeration.

Re: Lessons for the Next Wargame

Posted: Mon 12 Oct 2015 20:09
by raventhefuhrer
I'd say the game still has some significant balance issues, although 'massive' is quite an overstatement, I agree.

I think what's more frustrating is all the little things that never get paid attention to, and will never be fixed. And even the things that will be fixed take four or five months to get a patch... I'm talking about things like objectively overpriced transports, awful performing units (Warrior IFV), bad tank lines, etc.

Re: Lessons for the Next Wargame

Posted: Mon 12 Oct 2015 20:11
by DeckCheney
Air Tab, Tank Tab, Infantry Tab, There's alot of stat discrepancies.

The only way this works into balance is that both Red and Blue for have a fairly equal share or terrible units. This doesn't change the matter the the meta is completely fucked and only certian playstyles are valid.

Re: Lessons for the Next Wargame

Posted: Mon 12 Oct 2015 20:39
by minfaer
What about non-gameplay factors:

Give us a Linux-client on release-day!!!

The strongest argument for me to buy WG was the support for linux. I bought each when the linux-clients were released, to their full price back then. The games are great, and buying at that time showed Eugen how much their work on linux is appreciated!


Steam.
With each Wargame-license being connected to a Eugen-Account, isn't the obligatory Steam-account obsolete? :?:
I'd much prefer buying my next Wargame on a Disk without Steam, or at Humblestore or GOG. The game could still be offered on Steam for people who prefer that.

I also believe that Linux-support has had a great effect on the community of the game. :geek:

Re: Lessons for the Next Wargame

Posted: Tue 13 Oct 2015 04:08
by MILINTarctrooper
Drang wrote:None of these things are flavour, as every nation has them, and would just slow the game down even more.

Being able to blow bridges and replace them with Baileys would only work if rivers existed outside of main clash zones, so destroying a bridge was an interdict of reinforcements rather than creating a deliberate obstacle.

You are forgetting Soviet Preference for Fording and Pontoon Bridges. So there would be flavor.

Helicopter delivered minefields...hmmm.

Helicopter carried vehicles.

I think it would open some opportunities and maybe give some static defense and or flanking possibilities that currently in RD is just not possible.

Re: Lessons for the Next Wargame

Posted: Tue 13 Oct 2015 04:11
by MILINTarctrooper
philmd wrote:I strongly believe a map editor would really help this game to stay fun (or at least publish the map format).

Also I'd like to suggest a new game mode (perhaps called breakthrough or something similar), a bit like Battlefield 3 had it, where one team is permanently on the defense and the other on the offense. Defense has to hold several zones, perhaps aligned in a row, while offense has to take them. Offense gets more points and perhaps bonus points when capturing a zone. If defense still holds at least one zone after X minutes win goes to them, otherwise the game is over once offense has captured all zones (and win goes to offense).

The biggest sore point for alot of players. All the other big name games...have given out their map editor. Why not ours? It streamlines modding and allows for community made materials which then in turn lengthen the games life and saves Eugen their pretty penny. If they had done something with the Steam Workshop it would have been better!