Lessons for the Next Wargame

raventhefuhrer
Colonel

Re: Lessons for the Next Wargame

Postby raventhefuhrer » Tue 13 Oct 2015 04:50

MILINTarctrooper wrote:The biggest sore point for alot of players. All the other big name games...have given out their map editor. Why not ours? It streamlines modding and allows for community made materials which then in turn lengthen the games life and saves Eugen their pretty penny. If they had done something with the Steam Workshop it would have been better!

From what I understand, Eugen licenses some sort of map editor for making their maps so they either can't let us use it, or doing so would be prohibitively expensive. Whatever the case, one of their top priorities for the next game should be refining their map making process.

Giving us access to an editor is just the start. Did you know that once Eugen makes a map, they cannot change terrain? All they can do is edit zones. What kind of craziness is that?
My YouTube Channel is Raven Wargaming. Message me to request videos on certain topics.

Shrike
Lieutenant General

Postby Shrike » Tue 13 Oct 2015 05:43

raventhefuhrer wrote:From what I understand, Eugen licenses some sort of map editor for making their maps so they either can't let us use it, or doing so would be prohibitively expensive. Whatever the case, one of their top priorities for the next game should be refining their map making process.

Giving us access to an editor is just the start. Did you know that once Eugen makes a map, they cannot change terrain? All they can do is edit zones. What kind of craziness is that?

They do have odd reasoning.

What I think they should do is either narrow the game to one narrow time frame, or make it so that eras can't play against each other while creating separate armories for them. 5 point system needs to replaced with a 1 or 2 point system for obvious reasons. I think they should focus on real life assets and do away with prototypes and scarce info documents such as the Chimera. Aircraft should be limited to attack helicopters, ground attack, and multi-role planes.

Mike
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Mike » Tue 13 Oct 2015 06:24

The five point system is fine till you get below about 25-30 points.
Courtesy of KattiValk

DeckCheney
Colonel

Postby DeckCheney » Tue 13 Oct 2015 13:45

Mike wrote:The five point system is fine till you get below about 25-30 points.

Can still make it work- some units just need artificial stats to make the differences worth their price.
The USA is #1 exporter of freedom!
All other countries have inferior freedom!

ikalugin

Postby ikalugin » Tue 13 Oct 2015 14:04

I think that giving the attacking side a points advantage, so they have enough forces to break through, is the right way to do it. Or actually have maps that allow large (well, as in battalion sized) armoured formations to manuever - ie dual fields.
Spoiler : :
We need more missilez code for the missilez god.
Praslovan:
"Tactical Ikalugin inbound on this position in 10... 9..."

Drang
Major-General

Postby Drang » Tue 13 Oct 2015 14:35

raventhefuhrer wrote:
MILINTarctrooper wrote:The biggest sore point for alot of players. All the other big name games...have given out their map editor. Why not ours? It streamlines modding and allows for community made materials which then in turn lengthen the games life and saves Eugen their pretty penny. If they had done something with the Steam Workshop it would have been better!

From what I understand, Eugen licenses some sort of map editor for making their maps so they either can't let us use it, or doing so would be prohibitively expensive. Whatever the case, one of their top priorities for the next game should be refining their map making process.

The maps are basically built in 3D Studio Max, from aerial photographs.

DeckCheney wrote:

Can still make it work- some units just need artificial stats to make the differences worth their price. removing.

Fixed.

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue 13 Oct 2015 15:45

Drang wrote:
DeckCheney wrote:

Can still make it work- some units just need artificial stats to make the differences worth their price. removing.

Fixed.

This is also true.
Courtesy of KattiValk

Demonicjapsel
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Demonicjapsel » Tue 13 Oct 2015 16:06

Ditch the coalition system or significantly rework it, and balance it around national decks, for the simple reason that its a pain to keep balance in Coalitions.
As the most recent patch clearly demonstrates, this approach has resulted in the most gimped nation in the game being nerfed even more, (and as a NORK national deck player, that upsets me)

RoadkillRodger
Lieutenant

Postby RoadkillRodger » Wed 14 Oct 2015 05:15

DeckCheney wrote:

Can still make it work- some units just need artificial stats to make the differences worth their price.

Or just inflate the income slightly across the board to create some more breathing room within the lower end

Demonicjapsel wrote:Ditch the coalition system or significantly rework it, and balance it around national decks, for the simple reason that its a pain to keep balance in Coalitions.

Given unit creep in the supers I feel it is extremely difficult for minors to stand on their own at this point though, and the current solution of avail bonus would feel artificial if it were used too widely. At the same time, I feel like ALB's deck system went a long way towards making minors more viable (by allowing them to really use all the available depth in a given tab as opposed to just 5 cards' worth). I think Eugen probably ditched the old deck system to prevent minmaxing whole tabs worth of units after the introduction of coalitions, but imo it should see a comeback.

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”