To: wargamers and marshals. Red Dragon Balance.

User avatar
Mister Maf
Lieutenant
Posts: 1454
Joined: Sun 15 Dec 2013 23:15
Contact:

Re: To: wargamers and marshals. Red Dragon Balance.

Postby Mister Maf » Thu 5 Nov 2015 17:10

If they just did away with the 5-pt increment system for units under, say, 35 points — or even just for infantry and transports — it could work out great. Increasing the scale across the board just does the same thing as allowing 2-pt increments or whatever, just without looking like it. It would also require a rebalance of the whole income system in-game. The problem only affects the cheap units, so a fix should only apply to them.

Still, it's not going to happen at this point. Too many adjustments would have to be applied to make such a policy change worthwhile.
Image

User avatar
Xeno426
Carbon 13
Posts: 11965
Joined: Tue 13 Mar 2012 21:27
Location: Acheron, Hadley's Hope
Contact:

Re: To: wargamers and marshals. Red Dragon Balance.

Postby Xeno426 » Thu 5 Nov 2015 17:50

integ3r wrote:I can't tell if you're joking but the reason 5 point increments mess up things is because at the lower end of things it matters more.

He's probably serious. I've seen those "debates". They were dumb. I agree with you, though, that the issue only matters for lower-price units. Perhaps the "5-point rule" would be best waved for units less than something like 30 points.
Image
CloakandDagger wrote:And you're one of the people with the shiny colored name. No wonder the game is in the state it's in.

User avatar
Darkmil
Brigadier
Posts: 3025
Joined: Mon 29 Oct 2012 15:17
Location: Massy
Contact:

Re: To: wargamers and marshals. Red Dragon Balance.

Postby Darkmil » Thu 5 Nov 2015 19:36

Xeno426 wrote:
integ3r wrote:I can't tell if you're joking but the reason 5 point increments mess up things is because at the lower end of things it matters more.

He's probably serious. I've seen those "debates". They were dumb. I agree with you, though, that the issue only matters for lower-price units. Perhaps the "5-point rule" would be best waved for units less than something like 30 points.

I was serious we've all seen pointless debate over a 5 point nerf/buff on a 160+ units. And yes I agree the problem is on lower-end units but as sure as death and taxes if a 1 point increment system is introduced, there will be stupid debates over high-end units needing a price nerf/buff of less than 5 points.
Image

Charbel
Corporal
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri 3 Oct 2014 03:55
Contact:

Re: To: wargamers and marshals. Red Dragon Balance.

Postby Charbel » Thu 5 Nov 2015 23:24

Mister Maf wrote:If they just did away with the 5-pt increment system for units under, say, 35 points — or even just for infantry and transports — it could work out great. Increasing the scale across the board just does the same thing as allowing 2-pt increments or whatever, just without looking like it. It would also require a rebalance of the whole income system in-game. The problem only affects the cheap units, so a fix should only apply to them.

Still, it's not going to happen at this point. Too many adjustments would have to be applied to make such a policy change worthwhile.


Why? microsoft excel does this in 2 steps for you? The balance would not change.

just use a constant multiplier.
Any future balance changes would benefit (if any).
more finetuning for important things like MG balance, OP infantry complains, more possibilities, more love.

TO: moderator.
maybe not the best thread title, fell free to change it.

User avatar
Darkmil
Brigadier
Posts: 3025
Joined: Mon 29 Oct 2012 15:17
Location: Massy
Contact:

Re: To: wargamers and marshals. Red Dragon Balance.

Postby Darkmil » Thu 5 Nov 2015 23:49

You can change your thread title. Go to your first post click EDIT and then change the title of this post ;)
Image

User avatar
Xeno426
Carbon 13
Posts: 11965
Joined: Tue 13 Mar 2012 21:27
Location: Acheron, Hadley's Hope
Contact:

Re: To: wargamers and marshals. Red Dragon Balance.

Postby Xeno426 » Fri 6 Nov 2015 00:02

Charbel wrote:
Mister Maf wrote:If they just did away with the 5-pt increment system for units under, say, 35 points — or even just for infantry and transports — it could work out great. Increasing the scale across the board just does the same thing as allowing 2-pt increments or whatever, just without looking like it. It would also require a rebalance of the whole income system in-game. The problem only affects the cheap units, so a fix should only apply to them.

Still, it's not going to happen at this point. Too many adjustments would have to be applied to make such a policy change worthwhile.


Why? microsoft excel does this in 2 steps for you? The balance would not change.

just use a constant multiplier.
Any future balance changes would benefit (if any).
more finetuning for important things like MG balance, OP infantry complains, more possibilities, more love.

TO: moderator.
maybe not the best thread title, fell free to change it.

You appear to be under the impression that the game's stats are edited in Excel or similar program. That does nkt seem to be the case.
Image
CloakandDagger wrote:And you're one of the people with the shiny colored name. No wonder the game is in the state it's in.

Charbel
Corporal
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri 3 Oct 2014 03:55
Contact:

Re: To: wargamers and marshals. Red Dragon Balance.

Postby Charbel » Fri 6 Nov 2015 09:44

Xeno426 wrote:
Charbel wrote:
Mister Maf wrote:If they just did away with the 5-pt increment system for units under, say, 35 points — or even just for infantry and transports — it could work out great. Increasing the scale across the board just does the same thing as allowing 2-pt increments or whatever, just without looking like it. It would also require a rebalance of the whole income system in-game. The problem only affects the cheap units, so a fix should only apply to them.

Still, it's not going to happen at this point. Too many adjustments would have to be applied to make such a policy change worthwhile.


Why? microsoft excel does this in 2 steps for you? The balance would not change.

just use a constant multiplier.
Any future balance changes would benefit (if any).
more finetuning for important things like MG balance, OP infantry complains, more possibilities, more love.

TO: moderator.
maybe not the best thread title, fell free to change it.

You appear to be under the impression that the game's stats are edited in Excel or similar program. That does nkt seem to be the case.



Im not. my point is there is no rebalance to do if scaling it evenly across the board. And any changes in it would be useless unless if no more balance patches were to follow . Lets not rant the thread for no reason.

And indeed there is games which these kind of stats like price/acc/reload/etc can be changed with a simple =click*2 and drag. But clearly this is not the case.

User avatar
Xeno426
Carbon 13
Posts: 11965
Joined: Tue 13 Mar 2012 21:27
Location: Acheron, Hadley's Hope
Contact:

Re: To: wargamers and marshals. Red Dragon Balance.

Postby Xeno426 » Fri 6 Nov 2015 09:51

Charbel wrote:Im not. my point is there is no rebalance to do if scaling it evenly across the board. And any changes in it would be useless unless if no more balance patches were to follow . Lets not rant the thread for no reason.

It's not a two-step process, though. From conversations I've had, it sounds like such a change would require them to go through each and every unit individually to change their cost. Thus, it's not going to happen.
Image
CloakandDagger wrote:And you're one of the people with the shiny colored name. No wonder the game is in the state it's in.

User avatar
Yakhont
Colonel
Posts: 2870
Joined: Sat 31 Mar 2012 04:33
Contact:

Re: To: wargamers and marshals. Red Dragon Balance.

Postby Yakhont » Fri 6 Nov 2015 10:06

You'd think they have a better system for a game with hundreds of units
Image

User avatar
KattiValk
General
Posts: 6320
Joined: Tue 19 Nov 2013 03:39
Location: Houston, Texas (CST)
Contact:

Re: To: wargamers and marshals. Red Dragon Balance.

Postby KattiValk » Fri 6 Nov 2015 10:11

Yakhont wrote:You'd think they have a better system for a game with hundreds of units
When has game development ever been clean or easy?

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 34 guests