Questions to developers about future of Wargame series

The W:AB Noob
Lieutenant General

Re: Questions to developers about future of Wargame series

Postby The W:AB Noob » Tue 12 Jan 2016 06:52

Steamfunk wrote:There's no problem with extending the timeline, as long as matches are era-defined. It would be interesting to see a few more of the units that were made before 1990.

Uh, yes there are problems. The number of "drawing-board" units and unicorn units, and people complaining that a unit's capabilities in one cat should be equal to those of another unit in another cat.
W:RD Sandbox Mod 5.4.2, the Final and Ultimate Patch Click -> Image

CornProducts
Colonel

Postby CornProducts » Tue 12 Jan 2016 09:48

The W:AB Noob wrote:
Sovereign wrote:Featuring less bugs and more stability :P

There aren't a whole lot right now, compared to some other games currently popular.

The only bug I can think of right now is the bug where you cannot see other deck names in lobbies. All you see are some ???

molnibalage
General

Postby molnibalage » Tue 12 Jan 2016 14:59

Drang wrote:
molnibalage wrote:
Steamfunk wrote:There's no problem with extending the timeline, as long as matches are era-defined. It would be interesting to see a few more of the units that were made before 1990.

The era of ALB was perfectly selected. The era shift and insane unit extension and demigod unicorn units only ruined the game. :(

you clearly never played against Coca-Cola Defender

I do not understand the meaning of this.

Steamfunk
Lieutenant

Postby Steamfunk » Thu 14 Jan 2016 14:05

Uh, yes there are problems. The number of "drawing-board" units and unicorn units, and people complaining that a unit's capabilities in one cat should be equal to those of another unit in another cat.

That's why I said era-defined or era-specific, and you could cut the number of units (including prototypes). RTS could do with a boost, so I don't see why devs should limit themselves to one era or game mode. I'd like to see more tactical variety and massive battles with serious objectives, like capturing a town or escaping encirclement.

[EUG]MadMat
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby [EUG]MadMat » Thu 14 Jan 2016 16:45

karnalooch wrote:Hello

I know that you working hard on Act of Aggression, but i love Wargame series. You give to us very good DLC's but i have few questions to you about this brilliant game:

1. Do you have plan to add more map packs???
2. Is there any chance to give to us map editor (ofcourse if you decide to stop working on Red Dragon) ??

Sorry for my poor english :) .

Cheers

Question 1:
There will be a Map Pack #3, as planned.

Question 2:
Although I can't be categorical about the future, the chance of this happening are very (very) slim.

molnibalage
General

Postby molnibalage » Thu 14 Jan 2016 16:56

[EUG]MadMat wrote:
karnalooch wrote:Hello

I know that you working hard on Act of Aggression, but i love Wargame series. You give to us very good DLC's but i have few questions to you about this brilliant game:

1. Do you have plan to add more map packs???
2. Is there any chance to give to us map editor (ofcourse if you decide to stop working on Red Dragon) ??

Sorry for my poor english :) .

Cheers

Question 1:
There will be a Map Pack #3, as planned.

Question 2:
Although I can't be categorical about the future, the chance of this happening are very (very) slim.

What about dabase fixes? Will be ever fixed the totally biased fuel values of US made jets?
What about loadout and weapon ACC and HE modeling by the same standards for all AAM?
Any plan to make viable older arty, especially 105/122 mm and do something with mortar spam?

hansbroger
Lieutenant General

Postby hansbroger » Thu 14 Jan 2016 21:31

There should be catA/B/C eras which trend towards realism starting in 1949 and ending in 1986-88. Part of the era issue is that wargame started too late in the cold war and goes into a 1990s world of unicorns where there is no soviet union or nswp progressively improving forces while the west is still arming for WW3. A 1949-1965 CatC plays much better with a 1965-1975 CatB and even meshes with a 1975-1988 CatA.

There should then also be a close to perfectly balanced current era inspired "Cat Twilight" era of a few highly balanced and tailored factions aimed towards competitive ranked gameplay. This era is full of unicorns and paper tanks and no one cares as long as it is balanced and plays well. It does not get allowed into non CatT matches unless in custom games and sacrifices authenticity for balance and gameplay performance.

This would fix the competing dynamics which have resulted in the RD deck system and other gripes along the way. By doing such a two tiered system wargame can appease the demands of the C&C AoA crowd and the casual/historical/electronic wargaming crowd with the same game.

I would also not mind seeing maps inspired by real world locations etc etc etc but that's another post.
Projectnordic in game! will likely see you on pact/red dragons/french!

molnibalage
General

Postby molnibalage » Fri 15 Jan 2016 17:54

If ever will be created next WG...

Form my aspect first of all should be considered even if card and deck system is planned to used slots should represent different kind of battalions and squadrons with different AP values. (LOf course this means the increase of the modeled level). The RL environment and qty. relation should be modeled. It is quite strange where 3-4 tanks and 3-4 APCs and some inf have such air defense what in RL was assigned to defend a single battalion... :roll:

For base where you can see that qty. and quality in 1991 in USSR.
fas.org/irp/doddir/army/fm100-2-3.pdf

So different battalions with different era eq. would have different cost and provide different capabilites.

In RL WPACT countries generally got the same USSR sstuff 5-10 years later and used less stuff what USSR. Some Hungarian examples.

• In USSR a single regiment on regimental level had 4 x Strela-1/10 + 4 x Zsu-23-4, but in Hungary had only one of them.
  • On army level a Krug brigade provided AD cover with 3x groups each with 3xbatteries, but in Hungary only 2x group were used.
  • Because of delyed development of Osa motorized rifle divisions got Kub instead Osa on division level. So instead 5x4 Osa a division had 5x Kub batteries. Some countries when bought Osa discarded the Kub to other non mot. rifle units. Hungary never did.
  • In the first echalon one division did not had Kub only S-60 regiment, and in the second echalon division one divison had only S-60 regiment and the another did not have division level AD at all...

So following this general rules it can be created different battalions according to different eras. Of course the size of this battalions can be rescaled but as a general guidline...

The problem is bluefor. While WPACT had this standardized organization NATO never had...

ZERO
Sergeant

Postby ZERO » Sat 2 Mar 2019 10:23

Eugen Systems will you develop a next wargame even with another name to avoid Copyright or predate clause contract ?

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”