FrangibleCover wrote:With an early 90s setting, sure, even if I am another European setting advocate. I do however have worries about the viability of some nations. So far as I've found (and you can see the link to my research in my sig) Pakistan isn't really viable. I was going to launch a bit of an investigation into India when I had a bit of time but if you want to do the legwork that'd be great. There are a few old threads on India that you can dig up, you can do your own research and I and some others will happily pitch in with suggestions.
India is a natural REDFOR member, more so than half the people we're putting in REDFOR these days. The US was for Pakistan, India was against it. Easy peasy. We even have the Indian-Chinese conflicts in the Himalayas, although games where your vehicles can't drive onto the map and your helicopters can't hover are going to suck to play . I don't think there's a real perception that BLUFOR is universally the 'good guys', expanded out the BLUFOR list would include the South American Juntas and South Africa, all of whom make Pakistan look pretty cuddly.
Yeah India is indeed more geared towards mountain warfare given Kashmir and most of her border with China but that kind of conflict is kinda hard to model.
But after reading your post I did some research of my own and will be happy to provide some info for India in roughly current setting but going back to 90s.
Btw a Command squad will be called "Command Dasta" in both India and Pakistan afaik.
Ashok Leyland Stallion Mk III/Mk IV
Command Squad : As in Command Dasta could be in many LUV, IFV and tanks or Helis
2. Garud Commando Force : They are under airforce and are supposed to perform action behind enemy lines, so like a commando troop coming in a heli
3. Brigade of the Guards : Closest to a dedicated anti-tank unit, weapons include, Spike missile, Nag, MIlan, Milan2T, 9M133 Kornet etc
4. CRPF : Central Reserve Police force : They could be very cheap militia like unit
5. Rashtriya Rifles : Probably the backbone of INF in this setting.
6. Gurkhas : They are already in the game but they come with India too.
7. MARCOS : Marine Commando Force, they probably would come in Navy section I think but their role is quite evident by their name.
8. Other Infantry option could be Mechanised Infantry Regiment and they all come with BMP-1, Sikh Regiment, Maratha Light Infantry, The Grenadiers etc,
Now Vehicles for Infantry : As mentioned we start with :
1. BMP-1, BMP-2 "Sarath", Abhay IFV, BTR-50, Casspir, then there are Light Utility Vehicles like Tata Safari Storme 4x4, Isuzu F-Series etc
Weapons : ATGM and AA is basically done, so let's look at more common inf weapons :
Generally for special forces : Franchi SPAS-15 , Micro-Uzi, Heckler & Koch MP5, IMI Tavor TAR-21 General purpose : AKM, AK-103, MG 2A1, MG 6A, Dragunov SVD, PKM, NSV etc
2. Ghatak Force : A platoon that every Indian Infantry Battalion has. According to wiki, Their operational role is similar to Scout Sniper Platoon, STA platoon of the USMC and the Patrols platoon of the British Army. So an elite recon unit.
3. PRP-3, A special vehicle tasked with finding enemy artillery position.
3. I think various tanks, vehicles, helis can be used for recon
Anti Air : Kub (SA-6 Gainful), S-125 Neva/Pechora, 9K33 Osa (SA-8 Gecko), 9K35 Strela-10 (SA-13 Gopher), 9K22 Tunguska[, ZSU-23-2
I hope its enough for now, sorry for any mistakes and any suggestion feed back is welcome. btw I think I can do Pakistan too and even though I can see your point I still think that Pakistan can be made viable.