Supercobra health

throwaway
Lieutenant

Supercobra health

Postby throwaway » Thu 3 Mar 2016 07:10

Is there an important realism consideration behind supercobra having only 6hp? Being oneshot by all AA is a very big drawback on such an expensive helo.

Mike
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Re: Supercobra health

Postby Mike » Thu 3 Mar 2016 07:15

throwaway wrote:Is there an important realism consideration behind supercobra having only 6hp? Being oneshot by all AA is a very big drawback on such an expensive helo.

SuperCobra

Cobra

All Cobras have 6HP.
Courtesy of KattiValk

Admiral Obvious
Sergeant

Postby Admiral Obvious » Thu 3 Mar 2016 07:56

As for realism, the Cobra is a Twin bladed helicopter and it's not particularly thick skinned at all.

Both of which are weaknesses of them in the real world. What they do have going for them is a usually high power weapon arsenal, and speed. They weren't designed to be tough by any stretch of the imagination.

6 HP is enough to withstand getting hit by a MANPAD, which is honestly quite a stretch too. If we're talking about "realism" it would have a HP value of 4, meaning it should be 1 shot by pretty much all but the weakest of MANPADS.
I PROBABLY have do idea what I'm rambling about.

PzAz04Maus
Lieutenant

Postby PzAz04Maus » Thu 3 Mar 2016 08:02

American helicopter doctrine to my knowledge emphasized agility and compactness to the point where it cost them some speed.

Admiral Obvious
Sergeant

Postby Admiral Obvious » Thu 3 Mar 2016 08:05

^ Mostly that.

The Cobra series was, and is decently fast for a helicopter though.
I PROBABLY have do idea what I'm rambling about.

codextero
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby codextero » Thu 3 Mar 2016 08:09

throwaway wrote:Is there an important realism consideration behind supercobra having only 6hp? Being oneshot by all AA is a very big drawback on such an expensive helo.

The only real reason to buy a Supercobra is for the AA missiles. 4200 and 60% means it's a flying EOTS HAWK, you can even park them on the ground next to some supply trucks and swat planes that way forever because the AIM-9M has like 1/3rd the supply cost of a HAWK missile.

Any heli without 2800 and preferably F&F is just food for redfor AA, and sometimes even then.

KattiValk
General

Postby KattiValk » Thu 3 Mar 2016 08:13

Twin engined Cobras could get HP buffs. That's about it though, at least until Eugen fixes helicopter AI so they can become nimble and hard to hit with ECM and stuff.

throwaway
Lieutenant

Postby throwaway » Thu 3 Mar 2016 08:20

codextero wrote:Any heli without 2800 and preferably F&F is just food for redfor AA, and sometimes even then.

Even longbow would be noticeably worse at 6hp, F&F gets a lot better if you can survive the first chap shot and return fire as you fly out of range.

JBravo
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby JBravo » Thu 3 Mar 2016 08:50

PzAz04Maus wrote:American helicopter doctrine to my knowledge emphasized agility and compactness to the point where it cost them some speed.

Unfortunately this doctrine isn't very well reflected in game... it's too bad some helicopters don't have ECM.

I feel like the twin engine Cobras should get 8hp though, it seems customary for twin engine helicopters to get the extra hitpoints. It doesn't seem like most Cobras are really used that much anyway, heavy hogs are far better for the rockets I think - cheap and expendable.

urogard
Brigadier

Postby urogard » Thu 3 Mar 2016 09:17

codextero wrote: because the AIM-9M has like 1/3rd the supply cost of a HAWK missile.

it's closer to 20-25% actually

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”