Balance appreciation thread

47andrej
Lieutenant

Balance appreciation thread

Postby 47andrej » Fri 15 Apr 2016 20:11

XYZ Totally OP nerf
After monthes and years of balancing, loads of patches IMHO WRD got pretty good and BALANCED

And here in this thread we thank Eugen for it! May you dont mess it up in Wargame 4 again :)

Markenzwieback
Captain

Re: Balance appreciation thread

Postby Markenzwieback » Fri 15 Apr 2016 20:20

47andrej wrote:After monthes and years of balancing, loads of patches IMHO WRD got pretty good and BALANCED

I'd politely disagree.

morpher
Major-General

Postby morpher » Fri 15 Apr 2016 22:25

Markenzwieback wrote:
47andrej wrote:After monthes and years of balancing, loads of patches IMHO WRD got pretty good and BALANCED

I'd politely disagree.

Of all the things, those are no more unbalanced.

captaincarnage
Major

Postby captaincarnage » Fri 15 Apr 2016 22:27

Cluster arty is fun, though as with many things it is better to give than to receive :geek:
I hope your buratino's die screaming.

Communazi
Sergeant Major

Postby Communazi » Fri 15 Apr 2016 22:38

captaincarnage wrote:Cluster arty is fun, though as with many things it is better to give than to receive :geek:

Pfft, you're just not using enough lube...

Did I say lube? I meant to say tube. Yes, tube... arty.... :oops:

Razzmann
General

Postby Razzmann » Fri 15 Apr 2016 22:40

It will never be perfectly balanced, unless ones understanding of balance is that there should only 1 deck being played competitively.

But it is definitely as balanced as never before in my opinion. It surely could use quite some more balance patches, but overall the balance has become better with each patch imo.

tgwEcho
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby tgwEcho » Fri 15 Apr 2016 22:43

One of the fundamental challenges of balance in gaming is the lack of consensus on what constitutes a desirable end-state. Every player has an estimate of the current balance parameter that reflect various coalition, map, and game-type biases. I don't envy the task Eugen has in this regard, although I feel they could have been more proactive with accepting feedback from their marshals (e.g., Xeno) and addressing obvious issues (e.g., aircraft fuel values).

The game desperately needs the tank price re-balancing that is currently under consideration, as well as several changes in the aircraft department, but I generally agree that our current estimate of balance is closer to the desired end-state than when we started.

Markenzwieback
Captain

Postby Markenzwieback » Fri 15 Apr 2016 23:58

morpher wrote:
Markenzwieback wrote:

I'd politely disagree.

Of all the things, those are no more unbalanced.

Hahaha. Good one. Really good one.

It's not like two nations got the only really effective cluster MLRS while the others are stuck with some weird MARS or worse that will barely do enough damage to kill a super heavy heavier tank (or anything actually).

And as it is a cancerous game mechanic anyways, why not put the decks at similar levels without all that hurr durr cluster MLRS lets remove a forest worth of armored and support units not allowing the enemy bto effectively counter it (without the gamble of sneaking recon into the enemy base). But hey, I guess Soviet players need their cluster MLRS to counter NATO tanks because they are soooo hard to kill... :roll:

And yes, before people start to cry about a one-sided post, the ATACMS is in dire need of removal as well. I guess the reason is obvious.

morpher
Major-General

Postby morpher » Sat 16 Apr 2016 00:26

Markenzwieback wrote:Hahaha. Good one. Really good one.

It's not like two nations got the only really effective cluster MLRS while the others are stuck with some weird MARS or worse that will barely do enough damage to kill a super heavy heavier tank (or anything actually).

And as it is a cancerous game mechanic anyways, why not put the decks at similar levels without all that hurr durr cluster MLRS lets remove a forest worth of armored and support units not allowing the enemy bto effectively counter it (without the gamble of sneaking recon into the enemy base). But hey, I guess Soviet players need their cluster MLRS to counter NATO tanks because they are soooo hard to kill... :roll:

And yes, before people start to cry about a one-sided post, the ATACMS is in dire need of removal as well. I guess the reason is obvious.

I see an ATACMS once every 5-6 games, and it is hardly game breaking. The smerch a bit more often but rarely it has an effect on the game.

I assume that we are not talking about clown game (see relevant forum thread)? are we?

Markenzwieback
Captain

Postby Markenzwieback » Sat 16 Apr 2016 00:31

morpher wrote:
Markenzwieback wrote:Hahaha. Good one. Really good one.

I see an ATACMS once every 5-6 games, and it is hardly game breaking. The smerch a bit more often but rarely it has an effect on the game.

I assume that we are not talking about clown game (see relevant forum thread)? are we?

The only games I am playing are 3vs3 and 4vs4 on the respective maps we see in tournaments. Only exception are larger 2vs2 maps (e.g. Highway). Always conquest, always on medium to low income and always 1000 starting points per player. So yes, not clown games.

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”