Paid DLC.. how it's working out?

McNash
Lieutenant

Re: Paid DLC.. how it's working out?

Postby McNash » Fri 27 May 2016 01:55

Well it seems like Eugen finally got their goose of the golden eggs, even better as they have demostrated a Cold War based videogame franchise can be successful.

hansbroger
Lieutenant General

Postby hansbroger » Fri 27 May 2016 01:57

This is good news!
Projectnordic in game! will likely see you on pact/red dragons/french!

MockingBird
Sergeant First-Class

Postby MockingBird » Fri 27 May 2016 02:20

I'm hoping the paid DLC experiment was successful enough to warrant another nation expansion or perhaps even jut extra units to already existing nations (North K tanks with AA launchers on them would go a long way in giving the Norks some flavor).

varis
Brigadier

Postby varis » Fri 27 May 2016 02:25

raventhefuhrer wrote:even an online store to purchase Eugen/Wargame T-shirts because we liked the games and wanted to support Eugen more.

Sometimes it feels almost embarrassing how low-key Eugen are about these promotional things. But I suppose with these ideas, WarGame is just getting to the size where it starts making sense.

Can you actually sell merchandise through Steam? Could help out franchises like WarGame to serve their community better and make more use of the promotional assets they are creating. How about a bundle with all DLCs (you could gift them if you already have some?) and a T-shirt and maybe some special posters included.

WHERE ARE OUR 120 by 180 cm ARMORY POSTERS? :evil:

Mitchverr wrote:But as you say, they have had alot of diehard fans, many left over the last couple years due to their personal wants not going ahead, or because of x y or z, but this has the ability to breath life back into the game, hopefully eugen can use this to give people changes/factions they want to help them enjoy the game again and build the good will.

Hmm I guess the above didn't refer to some of us old trogdolytes leaving and making room for new players with fresh ideas :) But yeah over the four years the game often hasn't gone to the direction we wanted (with of course some exceptions too like RD going back into more EE style), but the community&franchise has proven to be able to replenish, renew, grow and get stronger even with many of the most active players leaving over time.

After all it's now a MUCH better game than it was 4 years ago. (Recall exactly 4 years ago we were in the thick of the Heavy Tank Meta with some 300 players at peaks.)

orcbuster wrote:Well we now have more players than we've had in over a year so playerwise I'd say it's been a rousing success.

http://steamcharts.com/app/251060

Also steamspy estimates around 40000 sales in the past week of RD. With 60000 individual players in the past 2 weeks.

http://steamspy.com/app/251060

Youtube views more than tripled in a bit over a week. Yeah statistics show it's a shot in the arm. I guess partly it's because it was so unexpected - other than some nice balance patches and map packs, there's not been much going on around the game. I suppose nations are somehow more important - personally I'd think the recent map pack(s) to have more significance for the game.

urogard wrote:Let's see how many of these players remain after 2 months.

You think they need more than 2 months to get the next one out?

raventhefuhrer
Colonel

Postby raventhefuhrer » Fri 27 May 2016 03:23

orcbuster wrote:Yeah, I highly doubt we'll get paid dlc for existing nations.

Free bonus as a part of a dlc launch sure. That would make a lot of sense and underlinw that its the nation you've paid for.

I definitely support this position. I don't want them to add paid DLC for existing nations because then that will smack of pay to win... Bradley Linebacker for USA, or S-300 Patriot-equivalent for USSR for example. This absolutely would not be a good idea, it will make you feel like you need to pay to unlock a nation's full potential.

That said, I would definitely advocate new nations via DLC. I'd advocate cosmetic additions like... different camo for units or something like that. Perhaps even map packs that are purchaseable but only need the host to own it, but everyone can join his game so the community isn't split up.
My YouTube Channel is Raven Wargaming. Message me to request videos on certain topics.

Trimen
Second-Lieutenant

Postby Trimen » Fri 27 May 2016 03:38

I bought the DLC even though I do not intend to play NL. I bought it to support the further development of Wargame. Heck I even bought AOA and played it twice since I did it to support Eugene.

If they put up a map pack paid DLC with large 10v10 maps I would buy that too.

Bottom line, this DLC was a success IMHO

Mike
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Mike » Fri 27 May 2016 04:19

If they keep making nation DLCs, I'll keep buying them. I have 1200 hours (online, probably another 150 offline) in RD alone, so I clearly love the game. :lol:
Courtesy of KattiValk

orcbuster
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby orcbuster » Fri 27 May 2016 04:20

raventhefuhrer wrote:
orcbuster wrote:Yeah, I highly doubt we'll get paid dlc for existing nations.

Free bonus as a part of a dlc launch sure. That would make a lot of sense and underlinw that its the nation you've paid for.

I definitely support this position. I don't want them to add paid DLC for existing nations because then that will smack of pay to win... Bradley Linebacker for USA, or S-300 Patriot-equivalent for USSR for example. This absolutely would not be a good idea, it will make you feel like you need to pay to unlock a nation's full potential.

That said, I would definitely advocate new nations via DLC. I'd advocate cosmetic additions like... different camo for units or something like that. Perhaps even map packs that are purchaseable but only need the host to own it, but everyone can join his game so the community isn't split up.

I'd actually argue that a dual approach would be ideal for all such eventualities. Have some minor freebies included to all players with the release of each nation dlc (single map, one or two units for an old nation) in order to keep up interest and assert that the DLC money isn't just going toward something that not everyone neccesarily has a vested interest in.
Viker for ingen!

raventhefuhrer
Colonel

Postby raventhefuhrer » Fri 27 May 2016 04:33

orcbuster wrote:I'd actually argue that a dual approach would be ideal for all such eventualities. Have some minor freebies included to all players with the release of each nation dlc (single map, one or two units for an old nation) in order to keep up interest and assert that the DLC money isn't just going toward something that not everyone neccesarily has a vested interest in.

I think that's the best approach as well.
My YouTube Channel is Raven Wargaming. Message me to request videos on certain topics.

varis
Brigadier

Postby varis » Fri 27 May 2016 10:37

raventhefuhrer wrote:
orcbuster wrote:I'd actually argue that a dual approach would be ideal for all such eventualities. Have some minor freebies included to all players with the release of each nation dlc (single map, one or two units for an old nation) in order to keep up interest and assert that the DLC money isn't just going toward something that not everyone neccesarily has a vested interest in.

I think that's the best approach as well.

I'd concur and with a second thought, Raven's point about secret weapons packs (with even more on-the-paper committee prototypes and unicorns :geek: ) for existing nations could introduce enough of pay-to-win to make regular fans squirm in their command chairs.

Right now it looks like paid nation DLCs are a good idea but there are some repercussions. One thing is the dangerous explosion in scope WRT number of units/nations/coalitions. HOWEVER in today's mature meta the risks are much reduced - who cares if you get the game's best T-55/T-72 with Finland/India, you also get all the other crap from the nation and it's a fresh breath anyway - if there happens to be any simohäyhäs included, Eugen can quickly reel the balance back in as the balancing standards are now well established. Personally it looks to me that Eugen's balancing skill has actually improved during RD (and earlier Wargames) - FLX and others are a few years in the same job and have had the opportunity to gather the critical professional experience - and they are hitting close to the target more and more with their balancing.

The other thing is that it is really a groundbreaking change in the Wargame business model. From a business/marketing perspective, Eugen must be very interested to see how we as a community take this new line. Possibly their next game could release with just the 4-6 core nations and a much reduced set of units initially, and be offered at a lower price point, say only 20-30 international credits, while much of the content is rolled out over the years either for free (balance, maps, etc) or as paid DLC (the rest of the 20 or so nations) as the game gradually matures and stabilizes. Obviously there would be some rather big pros and cons with this model.

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”