Reminder Eugen: Multiply everything x10

Xeno426
Carbon 13

Re: Reminder Eugen: Multiply everything x10

Postby Xeno426 » Sat 4 Jun 2016 20:14

arturocarlos54 wrote:Multiplying by 2 seems better, four figure numbers are slightly harder for peoples eyes to read but people can read 3 figure numbers almost instantly.

I talked to a guy who designed road signs. Not a conversation I thought I would fine myself using, ever.

Interesting. Understanding human perception is a very important part of good UI design, and there are some poor UI designs in Wargame (red text in the center of the screen when many maps are an orange-tinge? are you crazy?).
CloakandDagger wrote:And you're one of the people with the shiny colored name. No wonder the game is in the state it's in.

urho
Second-Lieutenant

Postby urho » Sat 4 Jun 2016 20:26

Yes please!
And the same for HP, HE, AP and AV. <- 2 x
Been preaching this for years.

urho
Second-Lieutenant

Postby urho » Sat 4 Jun 2016 20:43

OTHOAB wrote:So 145pts tank will cost 1450pts, but the same tank with 1 less side armor will cost 1445pts.

No, you didn't get it.

Pleb Squasher
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby Pleb Squasher » Sun 5 Jun 2016 14:10

What's all this stupidity about 'looks ugly' for a unit price. Balance is an ugly thing which is based on stats not any kind of aesthetic. "Wargame 4" really really needs to do away with the 5 point increment rule altogether as despite the values looking 'ugly' it'll be a huge improvement for balance.

Ballpark pricing should be decided by 10-5 point price increments, discrepancies can then be accounted for via unit comparisons.

By losing the 5 point rule, a few things can be done.
-Trucks can be re-introduced as a basic form of cheap transport, priced around 2-3 points.
-The slight differences between the mass ranked drill trained pact infantry and better trained Nato infantry can be properly accounted for cost wise.
-Horrible unit comparisons can be avoided, take for instance the MT-LB vs the M113. The M113 is vastly superior due to its much better browning machine gun and therefore will cost 1 or 2 points more, the M113 probably being the staple for 5 pointers.

On a side note: A good way to prevent truck spam like in ALB where 1 point trucks were used to recon or test enemy defenses, unarmed and unloaded trucks would not be automatically targeted by units. Additionally, these unarmed units would be immediately captured (like supply units) when getting near to the enemy, so that they can't provide eyes on but don't require firing (and therefore giving away positions) to remove their presence.
Or you could just add modifiers which give unloaded trucks no optics...

Solo
Brigadier

Postby Solo » Sun 5 Jun 2016 18:35

Or just have more standardization so units aren't completely over/underclassed at any given price point.

wargamer1985
Brigadier

Postby wargamer1985 » Sun 5 Jun 2016 19:35

Xeno426 wrote:
arturocarlos54 wrote:Multiplying by 2 seems better, four figure numbers are slightly harder for peoples eyes to read but people can read 3 figure numbers almost instantly.

I talked to a guy who designed road signs. Not a conversation I thought I would fine myself using, ever.

Interesting. Understanding human perception is a very important part of good UI design, and there are some poor UI designs in Wargame (red text in the center of the screen when many maps are an orange-tinge? are you crazy?).

Ironically, W:EE had some better UI design than W:RD in my opinion, look at the "unit x destroyed!" text, in RD it is placed in the middle of the screen with a red font, but in EE it was in the bottom left corner (where it isn't as distracting) in white font (which goes better with the maps)

On topic, multiplying unit cost by 10 would be too much, there comes a point where it becomes so much more difficult to comprehend that new players will get lost by all the small price differences and large numbers. Multiplying it by 4 or 5 keeps most units under 1,000 CPs, which is a goal we should have I believe.
APPLY TO THE GLORIOUS CULT OF THE WARHAWK! LIBERATING NAZIS SINCE 1939!

chykka
Brigadier

Postby chykka » Mon 6 Jun 2016 04:35

remilia019 wrote:

I like this idea better

same Idea but one is just a little more Extreme :P. But I do like this Idea for the fact it will make more increments too balance those tough to balance units at the lower end of the spectrum. Being 10-15-20 points is 3 increments with many units with very different performance all fit under.

They could always do bigger numbers, or go AoA style and make different kinds of points.. Imagine needing Medics instead of Supply replacing squads you need to treat injured and reinforce. Instead of Having Infantry getting resupplied at front line, would make much tougher game however.

Zoring
Warrant Officer

Postby Zoring » Wed 15 Jun 2016 09:42

More granularity would be great, any increase in points so we have more range of points to balance please.
Want to know how to make 116 redundant units usable? Click to read my thread on Recon Refitting!

urogard
Brigadier

Postby urogard » Wed 15 Jun 2016 13:19

Zoring wrote:More granularity would be great, any increase in points so we have more range of points to balance please.

Your sig link is broken

Zoring
Warrant Officer

Postby Zoring » Thu 16 Jun 2016 09:28

urogard wrote:
Zoring wrote:More granularity would be great, any increase in points so we have more range of points to balance please.

Your sig link is broken

Oh thanks, I have fixed it, I have to go through it again at some point in light of recent patches. One of my issues has been adressed :)
Want to know how to make 116 redundant units usable? Click to read my thread on Recon Refitting!

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”