Lobby, waste of time?

gumpialfonso
Chief Warrant Officer

Lobby, waste of time?

Postby gumpialfonso » Thu 14 Jul 2016 23:00

Seriously, i don't get it. Who has enough time to wait 20 or 30 minutes for creating a game?

When i want to play, it has to go fast. Just... Turning on PC, open wargame and click start for a round.

Very often, i close wargame, because i am waiting too long and start another game or turn off the PC.

Can't it be like "world of tanks". Dont searching for players to death. You can easily make a round.

Maybe this is a reason, why many new players are done with this game, before they enjoy the exprience of this artwork.

It would help everyone.

Sincerely,

Falcrack
Lieutenant

Re: Lobby, waste of time?

Postby Falcrack » Thu 14 Jul 2016 23:12

Eugen, please force players to join this guy's lobby so he doesn't have to wait so long for a game. Thanks.

gumpialfonso
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby gumpialfonso » Thu 14 Jul 2016 23:31

Mhh ok, I'm trying to bring the game forward and you can't give a senseful answer?

If you are not interested in developing, it's not my problem.

morpher
Major-General

Postby morpher » Thu 14 Jul 2016 23:34

gumpialfonso wrote:Mhh ok, I'm trying to bring the game forward and you can't give a senseful answer?

If you are not interested in developing, it's not my problem.

What type of games?

Do you have particular settings?

Or

do you

create the lobby with an unusual amount of players?

RoadkillRodger
Lieutenant

Postby RoadkillRodger » Fri 15 Jul 2016 02:06

Play 1v1, works every time

M4jor
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby M4jor » Fri 15 Jul 2016 14:26

The game NEEDS to add a matchmaking system.

That should not replace the current system, but it is the only way to create a better gaming experience.

The problem is, that a matchmaking system suffers from the many different gamemodes that can be played. But that can be avoided by an intelligent design (no pun intended).

Key would be, that you cannot see the players you are facing. Not their nicknames, not their level or stats, not the decks they play.
The only thing you should see is the gamemode and a general indication about the enemy teams strengts. For example the average of games played by the enemies or the average win ratio.
Maybe games should even be sorted that way. So you can always quickly see and join a game that fits ur own games played/experience.

Just some outlines...

molnibalage
General

Postby molnibalage » Fri 15 Jul 2016 15:23

M4jor wrote:The game NEEDS to add a matchmaking system.

Tons of time has been explained. The max. players qty. in good case is now about 1000-1200. You cannot make a matchmakig system with lots of factors. The only factor can be the winrate or level or both.

But what happens if the MM system places you a lobby which.

- Low cost game, low income and low st. points and you hate or don't want play?
- If you dislike the map.
- If you dislike the side where you assigned.
- If you dislike the game mode.
- If you wish play era game.
- If you wish set specialization or national restriction.

If all of listed problems are added as parameters with MM system you can wait hours for a single game or until end of the universe. Simply the stats should be hidden at lest for a 1-3 months test period but Eugen for some reasons does not wish try this even are lots and more and more complains about stacking, pubstombing and ragequtting players.

The problem is, that a matchmaking system suffers from the many different gamemodes that can be played. But that can be avoided by an intelligent design (no pun intended).

Check above. If the playerbase is small and you have tons of options intelligent desigs does not help. This is simple math...

M4jor
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby M4jor » Fri 15 Jul 2016 16:09

molnibalage wrote:
M4jor wrote:The game NEEDS to add a matchmaking system.

Tons of time has been explained. The max. players qty. in good case is now about 1000-1200. You cannot make a matchmakig system with lots of factors. The only factor can be the winrate or level or both.

But what happens if the MM system places you a lobby which.

- Low cost game, low income and low st. points and you hate or don't want play?
- If you dislike the map.
- If you dislike the side where you assigned.
- If you dislike the game mode.
- If you wish play era game.
- If you wish set specialization or national restriction.

If all of listed problems are added as parameters with MM system you can wait hours for a single game or until end of the universe. Simply the stats should be hidden at lest for a 1-3 months test period but Eugen for some reasons does not wish try this even are lots and more and more complains about stacking, pubstombing and ragequtting players.

Check above. If the playerbase is small and you have tons of options intelligent desigs does not help. This is simple math...

Math is for programmers, but the gaming experience has nothing to do with maths really.
I played a game with very low playerbase (CrimeCraft, MMO Shooter) and they still added a matchmaking system which improved the game by far from one day to the other.

I dont know...
Maybe make a lobby mode with "no US/USSR" style of gaming :-)

deadnation
Command Sergeant Major

Postby deadnation » Fri 15 Jul 2016 18:38

There is already mm its called ranked game. But no one plays it and most players have never played. I have hundreds of hours in rd and other wargames and haven't played even 1 round of ranked since EE.

delor
Lieutenant

Postby delor » Fri 15 Jul 2016 19:24

Yup, finding a game in Wargame sucks and it desperately needs to make matchmaking the main way players find games. It's been discussed many times before and is pretty widely agreed upon.

This is at least just half a GUI problem- if the existing matchmaking hadn't been called "Ranked" and was presented in the GUI as the main way to play multiplayer, it probably would have gotten a lot more traction even if it's not as fully featured as it ought to be. (it needs to offer 3v3 and 4v4, the ability to select a plurality of player counts when queuing solo, and some map veto capability, most notably)

Unfortunately, we're probably stuck waiting for a Wargame 4 to get one. Hopefully they'll add one instead of just giving us the regular new units, new maps, and engine enhancements, because this is the #1 thing Wargame needs. Red Dragon has made some huge steps towards improving the gameplay mechanics of the game, but the actual play scene is a wreck because of the reliance upon custom lobbies to facilitate play.

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”