NATION PACK: ISRAEL preview

LTSarcasm
Command Sergeant Major

Re: NATION PACK: ISRAEL preview

Postby LTSarcasm » Sun 24 Jul 2016 21:35

Killertomato wrote:...and yet the M60 is still more similar to the Leopard 1 or the AMX-30 than it is to the Merkava.

How? You keep saying this, but outside of being steel tanks armed with a 105 they share literally nothing.

Rimgrimner wrote:
Saying the Merkava 1 is the same as a M60 is the same as saying the Leopard 1 and M60 is the same. Which they are not(but they are more identical than say, M60 and Merkava 1). They are entirely different in several areas. The thought pattern that some equipment and parts are similar = same vehicle isnt a feasible conclusion, and im having a hard time understanding how one ends up at that conclusion. :?

I don't like to keep going off topic on this thread, but I still feel I should clear some things up.
The Merkava program originated after the Israelis were blocked by the Brits from buying the chieftain, a vehicle Israel had actually done much of the design effort on with an aim to co-producing them. The new Merkava hull and turret were based on their work on the Chieftain (which you will notice with the angles), but almost all mechanical parts were taken from the M60. The domestic Matador FCS, and the Centurion derived running gear are about the only two exceptions. They chose the Centurion running gear because it was a fully externally sprung system, which greatly simplified maintenance at the expense of some performance loss. Claiming the early Merkava is totally separate from the M60 is like claiming that the Sherman Easy Eight isn't a Sherman because they modified the running gear and used a new turret and hull design compared to the early Shermans. The modern M60T shares less parts with the M60A1 than the Merkava I does and nobody counts it as not being an M60.

As an aside, the "M68 is just a US L7" is a common myth. The M68 in fact only shares the gun tube, and can fire the same ammo. The rest of the gun is entirely different. You will note that the M68 has a round breech, and its breechblock moves vertically. The L7's breechblock is horizontal and the breech is squared off, which in fact was why the Leo 1's L7A3 was made: to chamfer the edge of the breech to maximize depression in the low turret.

Rimgrimner
First Sergeant

Postby Rimgrimner » Mon 25 Jul 2016 00:48

LTSarcasm wrote:As an aside, the "M68 is just a US L7" is a common myth. The M68 in fact only shares the gun tube, and can fire the same ammo. The rest of the gun is entirely different. You will note that the M68 has a round breech, and its breechblock moves vertically. The L7's breechblock is horizontal and the breech is squared off, which in fact was why the Leo 1's L7A3 was made: to chamfer the edge of the breech to maximize depression in the low turret.

This was exactly the thing i was baiting you for. M68 isnt a L7 coz the gun tube is only the same thing. How can u consider those 2 not identical but try to compare a M60 and a Merkava 1?

Think ive made my point enough times. By now its a waste of time. :?

Broth3r
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Broth3r » Mon 25 Jul 2016 01:35

Will you stop this? You two are going on 3 pages now with this ridiculous and pointless argument.

feeblezak
Lieutenant

Postby feeblezak » Mon 25 Jul 2016 02:04

Didn't take long for this thread to be derailed.
Give the MiG-19PFM its 5600m Missile back!!
If Someone could tell the drivers of the T-72M1M's and T-72B's to close their hatches, cheers.

LTSarcasm
Command Sergeant Major

Postby LTSarcasm » Mon 25 Jul 2016 06:12

I'll happily move someone else, didn't want to derail the thread much in the first place. It's a great infantry card, but it's kind of hard to have much conversation about one infantry card. It's a personal issue of mine to always try to correct people when they are wrong.

I can't believe how someone is asking why I think two things that only share one part are separate, while two things that share the majority of their parts aren't.

Darkmil
Brigadier

Postby Darkmil » Mon 25 Jul 2016 12:03

LTSarcasm wrote:It's a great infantry card, but it's kind of hard to have much conversation about one infantry card.

That is very true.

Mako
General

Postby Mako » Mon 25 Jul 2016 16:48

So... how about another preview? :)
If there's two kinds of players, those that like challenges and those that want a fair game, pubstomps should make everyone happy.

nomeansyes
Sergeant

Postby nomeansyes » Mon 25 Jul 2016 17:30

Mako wrote:So... how about another preview? :)

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHEs5k7nGZc[/youtube]

Razzmann
General

Postby Razzmann » Mon 25 Jul 2016 17:32

nomeansyes wrote:

Caterpillar
Sergeant

Postby Caterpillar » Mon 25 Jul 2016 21:29

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Tw1KpbNPps[/youtube]

Hope that they don't forget to add the Centurions :o

I dream on recreating 1973 war...

All we need now is some better desert maps
Join other Tactical mode players on: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/tacticalrd

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”