Why is the Rapier so odd?

Rabidnid
Lieutenant

Why is the Rapier so odd?

Postby Rabidnid » Sun 7 Aug 2016 05:24

The Rapier FSA is the twin of the OSA-AKM, apart from being tracked, so you would expect a similar price and performance, instead we get some idiotic short range versus Helis and a 10 point reduction to go with the lower availability of it's NSWP equivalents.

There is also the reduced effect of the warhead. 10 points does not reflect the difference between the OSA-AKM and the Rapier FSA.

Would anybody else pay 60 points for a 2800 metre range versus helis?

Forimar
Captain

Re: Why is the Rapier so odd?

Postby Forimar » Sun 7 Aug 2016 06:52

Rapier has higher accuracy, 2 more steps of range, and 2 more missiles ready to fire. It's already a much better anti plane platform than the Osa AKM when price is taken into account. It really doesn't need any more help, the rapier is already hilariously overmodeled compared to the Osa as it is now.

Rabidnid
Lieutenant

Postby Rabidnid » Sun 7 Aug 2016 07:06

Forimar wrote:Rapier has higher accuracy, 2 more steps of range, and 2 more missiles ready to fire.

2 less damage and a truly awful off road speed, quite apart from there being no grounds for the short anti helo range.

RoadkillRodger
Lieutenant

Postby RoadkillRodger » Sun 7 Aug 2016 09:45

The rapier functions very reliably against whatever is in range, and 2 of them will down any plane in the game nearly without fail, releasing a minimum of 4 missiles for ~100 points.

Razzmann
General

Postby Razzmann » Sun 7 Aug 2016 10:30

What are you trying to get at? The Rapiers are fine.

SpitfireMK-Pony
Warrant Officer

Postby SpitfireMK-Pony » Sun 7 Aug 2016 19:06

I actually think the Rapiers are my favorite AA system in the game, you got two models one for Anti-Helo, and the FSA for anti-plane.

The thing just machine-guns missiles at anything in range...

That sucker just sat in a forest on the edge of the map, Not bad for a 50 point AA unit :P

chykka
Brigadier

Postby chykka » Sun 7 Aug 2016 20:39

Yeah great rate of fire and it's not reloading as often as the Roland. It's a good price because of the trade off with fsa vs helo or with optical against planes.

Mister Maf
Lieutenant

Postby Mister Maf » Sun 7 Aug 2016 21:40

The Rapier is slow and fragile but once you get it to where it needs to go it's one of the most reliable SAMs in the game for downing planes. I think it's fine.

Broth3r
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Broth3r » Mon 8 Aug 2016 03:30

I've been playing so much Fire Emblem the SAM wasn't even the first thing that came to mind when I opened the thread.

XanderTuron
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby XanderTuron » Mon 8 Aug 2016 03:41

SpitfireMK-Pony wrote:I actually think the Rapiers are my favorite AA system in the game, you got two models one for Anti-Helo, and the FSA for anti-plane.

The thing just machine-guns missiles at anything in range...

That sucker just sat in a forest on the edge of the map, Not bad for a 50 point AA unit :P

Because of this picture, I am now referring to all Tracked Rapier FSAs as "Birt the Avenger".
My mouth is moving, but nothing relevant is coming out. Also I cannot guarantee that my research is perfect or even remotely accurate.

I have low quality Wargame Red Dragon casts on my youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/XanderTuron

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”