Jeep Uses/Tactics

twan11
First Sergeant

Jeep Uses/Tactics

Postby twan11 » Mon 29 Aug 2016 19:19

Hey everyone

Can we discuss some uses and tactics for jeeps? I'm talking mostly about the 10 point ones with the recoilless rifles.

Yesterday I grouped four of them and rushed a Chinese tank, the 85 point one, probably ZTZ-85-II, and they almost killed it frontally, since they are HEAT they apparently always do one damage I think (is that how it works?). I also had 2 groups of 4 jeeps ambush a T-80UM frontally, and once they all started firing, after a few seconds the UM had about 2 or 3 bars of health left and was in no condition to continue fighting. That's only 80 points worth of jeeps (although extremely fragile) taking down a vehicle more than twice as expensive. Due to its support and terrain, however, it got away, but this was a point in the match where all was lost, and if we were in a better position I'm sure one of my teammates could have easily finished it off.

Of course their range is pretty bad, as is their accuracy, but they have a very respectable 12 AP and 3 HE for only 10 points, not to mention first class road speed (150 kph), usually excellent autonomy (most I think are 750-1000 km), and excellent fuel economy (tiny fuel capacity, massive range), meaning a supply truck can probably keep a bunch of these gassed up very easily. Some of them have somewhat bad off-road speed, like the Australian M40 at 55 kph.

So let's hear some ideas on how to use these, they can duel infantry pretty good due to out-ranging them and 3 HE, can take down light armor pretty good in groups, and if used right can even take down heavy tanks. Using terrain (or fast-moving down a road) to negate their range disadvantage is essential.

There are some other interesting jeeps too, like the very cheap 10 point Japanese one with the MAT ATGM.

I only wish there were also 10 point jeeps with a bunch of machine guns instead of an RR.

:D
Wargame: Airland Battle deck system...In Red Dragon.

Admiral Piett
Colonel

Re: Jeep Uses/Tactics

Postby Admiral Piett » Mon 29 Aug 2016 19:31

I could see some very rare niche use for them from time-to-time, but it just isn't worth the deck activation point 99.9% of the time. I have, however, had ATGM jeeps grow on me. They are kinda handy after their price drop.

hansbroger
Lieutenant General

Postby hansbroger » Mon 29 Aug 2016 20:15

They're horrifically vulnerable to clusters and helicopter rockets unfortunately, while situationally fun it doesn't take much to counter them hard. That being said they're great fun and rather useful for flank ambushes and cheap delaying actions while you establish a real defense.
Projectnordic in game! will likely see you on pact/red dragons/french!

delor
Lieutenant

Postby delor » Mon 29 Aug 2016 21:11

They're incredibly niche to the point where I never really bother including them in a deck, except for some of the REC tab guys when I've got no better options.

That said, a few ideas:

One somewhat brutal thing you can do with them is build an RR wall to block pushes. This is incredibly specific to defensive deployments along two facing forests with a gap of ~1.5 KM between each other, like the forest-y mid of Plunjiang. Deploy a wide wall of 1-stacks of 10-point RR jeeps (the Rensou and Ontos are also semi-acceptable), supported by VG or better recon. Anything that sticks its nose out gets pounded by fire from a half-dozen HEAT guns that can pretty much wreck anything on the ground, vehicle or infantry.

Although I'd probably just bring along M36s or M18s, the Seung-Gong-Po is a fine way to add infantry murder to your decks if you're completely out of ideas as to how to spend your deckbuilding points. Hitting a wide, exposed city like the one at the center of punchbowl? Send in the infantry, and once they're engaged and spotting roll in the Gongs behind them.

Most of the 25-30 point ATGM jeeps can be a cheap way to strengthen a flank picket against a cheap enemy tank pushing through, albeit unreliably so. It's about fourth on my priority list for how to picket after a recon tank/autocannon, cheap anti-heli AA, and a cheap tank-destroyer like an ASU-85M, but something like a Milan F2 can harden a picket a bit more without breaking the bank.

If you're USSR/WG/FR and your opponent is fielding armor in the 60-80-ish range, you could use Konkurs-M or Milan F2 jeeps to strengthen an armored push. Keep them behind your tanks, and push them up when you make contact with the enemy. If you've got TOW-2 jeeps, you can do the same against somewhat more expensive tanks, like 125-ish point targets.

Mostly, though, they're just obsolete. Cheap tank destroyers with proper cannons tend to outperform RR units, cheap SPAAGs or VEH SPAAG-lites do much better at providing anti-infantry fire support while also providing necessary air cover, as a 150 KPH platform to rush some guns in position you're usually better using APCs, IFVs, and cavalry tanks, and as ATGM carriers you almost always want to take infantry, a helicopter, a plane, or a tank to kill that enemy armor instead depending on the circumstances.

guynumber7
Captain

Postby guynumber7 » Mon 29 Aug 2016 23:55

I remember back in ALB the meta was literally to spam M113s with Recoilless Rifles and use them as a screen for expensive tanks
youtube.com/guynumber7

wargame vids shall be put up

QUAD
Colonel

Postby QUAD » Tue 30 Aug 2016 03:27

cavalry tanks and atgm jeeps do the same job better imo.
Mobile Units Operational :!:

molnibalage
General

Postby molnibalage » Tue 30 Aug 2016 10:16

I never was enough brave to try RR jeeps spam combined with othe units. They are dirst cheap, so in case the are close with side hit cand deal with med tanks. Against top tier tanks they are few even against side armor. With smoke + recon... Maybe...

The problem is the omnidirectional spot capability of vehicles and tanks...

ATGM jeeps works fine if they can stay out of gun range and you have one tank ahead of tham. Or sometimes in pure form. Some TOW2 platfrom has ~100 speed on terrain. 4x can make such quck and high dmg even on front armor that top tier tanks cannot retreat. Tanks with 20 FAV against TOW2 dies very, very fast.

Terracos
Sergeant First-Class

Postby Terracos » Tue 30 Aug 2016 10:39

I use them sometimes in my RD or Chinese Moto Deck. In smaller Maps or Maps with close cover they can be a great support for your forces and even deal with really heavy tanks. Due to high veterancy in Motorised and the massive amount you can field, they can overwhelm Tank lines pretty easely as long as you stay under 1500m fighting distance. Be aware of any kind of Arty. Multiple 1v1 and 2v2 maps are great for them, especially as they are super fast at the place you want them. Its hard to say if they are cost effective but if played properly and only in the spots you need them, you definetely can come out even. So the closer the covers the better they are, as in around 1000m distance + high vet you get very good acc and 10 of them will be able to kill tanks that are way more worth. Just dont forget to focus fire what is crucial with these units.

Mike
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Mike » Tue 30 Aug 2016 16:40

They're great for feeding points in destruction.
Courtesy of KattiValk

Admiral Piett
Colonel

Postby Admiral Piett » Tue 30 Aug 2016 19:17

Mike wrote:They're great for feeding points in destruction.

Right up there with "guys, I'm going to rush with T-34/85s."

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”