Laser guided bombs are dire. Bad, bad change.

KattiValk
General

Re: Laser guided bombs are dire. Bad, bad change.

Postby KattiValk » Sun 9 Oct 2016 03:28

The Nighthawk is mostly fine currently, at least compared to pre-patch performance. It's still painfully easy to kill with SHORAD, but as far as killing things goes, it's not useless.

Other LGBs definitely leave a bit lacking, and the F-1 is as good as dead right now, but that can be fixed with some work.

Mighty_Zuk
Command Sergeant Major

Postby Mighty_Zuk » Sun 9 Oct 2016 16:28

codextero wrote:You say that as if the US didn't provide the most important bit, the engine. And surprise, Block 50/52 had basically the same performance as the Lavi once they got their upgraded engines.

A high performance engine takes decades to design and test. The work on the F135 started back in the 80's, and it's just being put into a production fighter now. China's current stumbling block is more powerful and reliable engines.

Yes, the engine was purchased from the US (PW1120) but not only for the Lavi. It was tested also on the F-4 Kurnass 2000.
It was based on the ready F-100 engine.

What's interesting is that despite the Lavi cancellation, the major expansion of the aerospace industries (mainly IAI) led to acquiring a lot of capabilities that today allow Israel to practically build new warplanes from scratch, potentially relieving itself from foreign suppliers.

BTW, IAI is set to unveil a combat range increasing upgrade on the F-35. Just not sure on which batch it will be applied or if it will look like on the F-16 or F-15.

Anyway back on topic. It seems that LGBs are not entirely bad now, but in vast majority of cases I find bomb trucks or ATGM planes to be a lot more reliable.

urogard
Brigadier

Postby urogard » Sun 9 Oct 2016 16:57

It really would be a great idea to also fix the attack position bug that has been around since ALB.

It would help LGBs to occasionally also hit rather than almost always miss and sometimes not even explode at all.

Mighty_Zuk
Command Sergeant Major

Postby Mighty_Zuk » Sun 9 Oct 2016 17:20

urogard wrote:It really would be a great idea to also fix the attack position bug that has been around since ALB.

It would help LGBs to occasionally also hit rather than almost always miss and sometimes not even explode at all.

What bug?
I don't have any problem with LGBs as you describe.

RoadkillRodger
Lieutenant

Postby RoadkillRodger » Sun 9 Oct 2016 17:25

Mighty_Zuk wrote:What bug?

Even before the patch, lgb would often miss when the attack positon command was used.

The nighthawk was a classic example, where bombs often wouldn't land anywhere close to each other.

Mighty_Zuk
Command Sergeant Major

Postby Mighty_Zuk » Mon 10 Oct 2016 17:26

RoadkillRodger wrote:
Mighty_Zuk wrote:What bug?

Even before the patch, lgb would often miss when the attack positon command was used.

The nighthawk was a classic example, where bombs often wouldn't land anywhere close to each other.

I never really used attack position command unless it's infantry, CV, or very light armored vehicles.

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”