New gamemode suggestion

Xeno426
Carbon 13

Re: New gamemode suggestion

Postby Xeno426 » Wed 12 Oct 2016 03:28

QUAD wrote:Definitely. CoH1 system was nice as well, territory was popcap and fuel based units were cheaper and not overwhelmingly effective compared to MP only units. You needed fuel for research and tanks obviously.

The problem with the COH1 system was that it had a massive snowball effect. Losing territory not only lost you income rate, but ALSO popcap, making it even harder to push back an enemy. That's why popcap was changed to a universal value (set by map or a default value) rather than being tied to capture points.
CloakandDagger wrote:And you're one of the people with the shiny colored name. No wonder the game is in the state it's in.

smyljr
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby smyljr » Wed 12 Oct 2016 04:51

have you tried........ total destruction, no time limit? the win conditions are similiar.
:mid-match connecting(matchmaking), LoS bubble(Ruse), interchangeable loadouts, moving in formations different ranges for altitudes, 1$ price increments, tank/copter ecm, 5/6 weapon slots, and 10 player deathmatch nukemode

QUAD
Colonel

Postby QUAD » Wed 12 Oct 2016 06:32

Xeno426 wrote:
QUAD wrote:Definitely. CoH1 system was nice as well, territory was popcap and fuel based units were cheaper and not overwhelmingly effective compared to MP only units. You needed fuel for research and tanks obviously.

The problem with the COH1 system was that it had a massive snowball effect. Losing territory not only lost you income rate, but ALSO popcap, making it even harder to push back an enemy. That's why popcap was changed to a universal value (set by map or a default value) rather than being tied to capture points.

within the original design it worked because wehr could pump out vetted units to recover, rifles bled MP and scaled through vet, and so on. The Brits and PE are a different story ofc.

IMO the change to universal popcap allowed the factions to function in a more symmetric way but it also made all resource points give muni and fuel which dumbed down the strategic element. Totally off topic now lol.
Mobile Units Operational :!:

holoween
Warrant Officer

Postby holoween » Wed 12 Oct 2016 08:41

smyljr wrote:have you tried........ total destruction, no time limit? the win conditions are similiar.

while the victory conditions may be similar it suffers from the same problem i have with all other current gamemodes: once you have a 200+ points lead you will almost certainly win unless you make big mistakes as you just have that many more units on he field or more cvs which increases that difference fast.

Mister Maf
Lieutenant

Postby Mister Maf » Wed 12 Oct 2016 08:48

QUAD wrote:
holoween wrote:since you bring up coh, the different resource types mostly serve the purpose of limiting certain types of units that otherwise would be spammed. wargame acieves this with a higher difference in prices and the deck system.
also since you know coh look at http://www.omgmod.org. playing this mod was what made me interested in wargame in the first place as wargame has a huge similarity to it with the deck building system. this is also where the idea of this gamemode setup originates from.

the fuel is also there for technology/research and game phasing as well but i know what you mean.

heard lots of good things about that mod but never played it, it has a lot of good concepts though that remind me of wargame.

I play this mod as well and have to give props to holo for how cleverly he was able to adapt OMGmod's game mode to Wargame just using the existing points and sectors system. On paper it would work almost exactly the same. The mod already has a lot in common with Wargame (I, too, became interested in WG in the first place because of this) and this game mode would definitely be my favorite if it were made.

@Vanilla CoH1 snowballing: This is absolutely true, and it's why CoH2 just gives everyone a flat 100 pop that never changes.

This game mode essentially has everyone slowly rise to a maximum pop cap of 3000 points roughly at the same time, and then whoever has the field advantage will then slowly begin to drain the enemy of population until they reach a critical low point or are outright defeated. Aggressive control of the map is mandatory if you want to win, and unlike conquest, you are directly rewarded on a tactical level for capturing territory. At the same time, if your deployment is completely wiped off the field, you're able to instantly replace it for a counterattack, which is not possible in the game as it is currently.

In the CoH mod, this creates an almost constant back-and-forth battle of outmaneuvering the enemy and trying to anticipate what they will bring next so you are prepared to counter it within your limited population. It's a lot of fun and action-packed, which is something that is sometimes missing in Wargame.

fiese_moep
Warrant Officer

Postby fiese_moep » Wed 12 Oct 2016 10:52

orcbuster wrote:
fiese_moep wrote:
orcbuster wrote:A "total conquest" mode would be interesting. Removing all sector control causing a win.

OPs idea has potential too. Wargame WiC style.

The problem with that mode is that there is no reason to move much. You can stay relativ close to your spawn and arty a bit. The attacker is in disadvantage cause he has to move his units over 2-5 sectors before doing a ground attack.

If he does that he's dead. Way too easy to kill a cv lnce you're near the sector in force. Buffer zones and backup zones would be crucial.

Yes but there is no need to have a front at the center of the map. if the map has 7 sectors in a line. Then i just stay arround the last 2. Big enough that arty is not too efficent but close enought to my spawn.

holoween
Warrant Officer

Postby holoween » Wed 12 Oct 2016 11:14

fiese_moep wrote:Yes but there is no need to have a front at the center of the map. if the map has 7 sectors in a line. Then i just stay arround the last 2. Big enough that arty is not too efficent but close enought to my spawn.

total points for each player (points of units on the field + reseve) are modified like this:
(+3 base growth + (number of friendly held sectors - number of enemy held sectors) )/s

so if you hold 2 sectors to his 5
(3+(2-5))/s you gaign no points so your army size will stay at 1000 points

for your opponent its (3+(5-2))/s
while his army size grows at 6 points per second

so if you dont go for map controll your opponent will quickly field a bigger army and push you of the map completely
and after 10 min your army size will decrease and once that reaches 900 you loose so from the ten min mark you got 100 seconds to at least neutralize another sector against at this point an army 3 times your size.

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”