Why 10v10 matters. (How to increase Wargame's playerbase)

morpher
Major-General

Re: Why 10v10 matters. (How to increase Wargame's playerbase)

Postby morpher » Sun 30 Oct 2016 18:22

Lauer wrote:
morpher wrote:Any other ideas?

There are three ideas listed in the OP, I fail to understand how you read this one without noticing the other two.

I read all three. The first requires heavy modifications to the game code, the third requires a whole new game.

I am asking for "viable" ideas.

Steamfunk
Lieutenant

Postby Steamfunk » Sun 30 Oct 2016 19:50

I played on those servers because they're the only maps that are large enough for a traditional RTS. It doesn't take that long to set up a game and the latency issues have gone away - the problem is stacking and it's been that way since I bought RD.

Aren't they supposed to be releasing another map? I assume it will be Ragnarok.

When I was a newbie my issue was puzzling out the unit interactions and basically how the game is supposed to be played. I found that there was no information on most essential game concepts, the player guides mostly just made opaque references to "its simple, just imitate how real militaries operate!"

There was tutorial campaign in EE, but not much else.

Lauer
Sergeant

Postby Lauer » Mon 31 Oct 2016 06:40

morpher wrote:the third requires a whole new game.

Thats like saying Wargame mods require a whole new game. The only conclusion I can draw form this is that you have no idea what you're talking about, or you're intentionally making absurd claims to artificially discredit my argument. The question I have is, why? What do you gain from new players having a bad experience?

morpher
Major-General

Postby morpher » Mon 31 Oct 2016 10:00

Lauer wrote:Thats like saying Wargame mods require a whole new game.

Yes. Mods require a whole new game. The modding support is terrible (non existent), if you go to multiplayer with mods you get the desync experience.

morpher
Major-General

Postby morpher » Mon 31 Oct 2016 13:43

Lauer wrote:The only conclusion I can draw form this is that you have no idea what you're talking about

Why? Do you think I don't know what's wrong with wargame?

Lauer wrote: or you're intentionally making absurd claims to artificially discredit my argument.

Which arguments are absurd?

Lauer wrote:The question I have is, why? What do you gain from new players having a bad experience?

I don't want new players to have a bad experience. But your proposals are unrealistic or ineffective.

Darkstar387
Warrant Officer

Postby Darkstar387 » Mon 31 Oct 2016 15:31

One guy wants to balance 10 v 10.
The other wants to remove half of the indirect fire weapons in the game,

HUEHUEHUEHUEHUEHUEHUE.

DarkRyder
Corporal

Postby DarkRyder » Mon 31 Oct 2016 15:34

1. limit player level in "noob" 10vs10 servers
2. on beginner server set preset decks to people (lvl 0-10)
3. randomise players when countdown begins

Lauer
Sergeant

Postby Lauer » Tue 1 Nov 2016 01:46

morpher wrote:Yes. Mods require a whole new game.

If you go into your Wargame Red Dragon\Data\PC folder you will see many folders with numbers on them. Each one of these folders contains a different version of Wargame. Under Wargame Red Dragon\Data\WARGAME\PC you will find folders with corresponding numbers. These folders have an NDF_Win.dat file which houses the stats of each unit in the game. My idea is to make an copy of NDF_Win.dat that will change unit avalibility for 6v6+ games so that they can be a better experience. Players could choose the type of game they wanted to play when they started Wargame. (This is how the DLC#3 beta worked, where you could launch the game in 'beta' mode and play on 'beta' servers.)

morpher wrote:Why? Do you think I don't know what's wrong with wargame?

I was referring to your statement that "the third requires a whole new game", and I hope the above explanation clarifies that the third idea doesn't require a new game at all.

Darkstar387 wrote:One guy wants to balance 10 v 10.

I'm not trying to balance 10v10, please read the OP before posting.
Last edited by Lauer on Tue 1 Nov 2016 01:54, edited 1 time in total.

orcbuster
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby orcbuster » Tue 1 Nov 2016 01:53

Eugen is barely able to balance one version of wargame. They won't balance 2 versions. It's a wholly different beast from AOA.

Also, if you want info about wargame player numbers over time there is a chart here.

http://steamcharts.com/app/251060

As you can see we've been averaging between 800-1000 players online at any time for 2 years now.
Viker for ingen!

Lauer
Sergeant

Postby Lauer » Tue 1 Nov 2016 02:08

orcbuster wrote:Eugen is barely able to balance one version of wargame. They won't balance 2 versions.

Prehaps the word version is misleading. Its more like a copy of wargame with the ONLY difference being a few stat tweaks. The idea isn't to balance 10v10 , just make it more fun for casual players. If this idea were to work, the influx of new players that would buy Nation Packs would very much outweigh the minimal time commitment.

orcbuster wrote:As you can see we've been averaging between 800-1000 players online at any time for 2 years now.
That is more accurate, I was basing my cycle off of the player counts during my time. However, you will notice a spike around Oct.4, Israel release date, that slowly goes back down. I'm also basing my assumptions off of some of my friends who own wargame but refuse to play it.
Last edited by Lauer on Tue 1 Nov 2016 02:13, edited 1 time in total.