Why 10v10 matters. (How to increase Wargame's playerbase)

Lauer
Sergeant
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun 28 Sep 2014 06:08
Contact:

Why 10v10 matters. (How to increase Wargame's playerbase)

Postby Lauer » Sat 29 Oct 2016 22:23

Here's the cycle:

  • Game averages 500 players*
  • Major update/steam sale increases average player count to 2000+
  • New players play 10v10 because they don't want a serious game
  • New players have a bad experience in 10v10, and stop playing
  • Average playercount decreases back to 500

*Its at about 1000 right now but thats because of the israel dlc


Conculsion: Something must be done to make new players have better experiences with playing Wargame.

Note: I know that balancing 10v10 is impossible, theres just too many factors to account for. However, changes can be made to make the experience more 'fun' even if it isn't a competitive game.

Note2: I have 1895 hours in Wargame right now, so I'm not completely inexperienced.

Possible Solutions:

  • Lock 10v10 games to a certain level
      Cons:
    • Noobs may not want to play a serious game
    • Noobs might have a bad experience with 2v2 for different reasons
    • More 'competitive' games might be flooded with inexperienced players.
  • Try to make game balance adjustments that will make 10v10 a better experience without impacting 2v2
    Things like reducing the AoE individual cluster arty rockets, increasing the time of flight for mortars etc.
      Cons:
    • Difficult
    • May have side effects in 2v2
  • Split game into 2 versions, like AoA's reboot edition and the Wargame beta version
    The idea would be to balance the game for 2v2, then make some SIMPLE changes for 10v10 and roll that out as a separate patch. (By simple I mean generic changes like those listed in the previous solution, not re-balancing individual factions)
      Cons:
    • Possible costs associated with having 2 versions?
    • May split community

captaincarnage
Major
Posts: 1915
Joined: Sat 29 Mar 2014 23:50
Contact:

Re: Why 10v10 matters. (How to increase Wargame's playerbase)

Postby captaincarnage » Sat 29 Oct 2016 22:30

Eugen have acknowledged that 10v10's are basically a shit show which will never be balanced.
I hope your buratino's die screaming.

User avatar
morpher
Major-General
Posts: 3975
Joined: Sun 17 May 2015 21:03

Re: Why 10v10 matters. (How to increase Wargame's playerbase)

Postby morpher » Sat 29 Oct 2016 22:43

Lauer wrote:[*]Try to make game balance adjustments that will make 10v10 a better experience without impacting 2v2
Things like reducing the AoE individual cluster arty rockets, increasing the time of flight for mortars etc.


This will change nothing in 10vs10s but will kill cluster arty and mortars in small game.

Any other ideas?

User avatar
Illusive
Master Sergeant
Posts: 182
Joined: Tue 17 May 2016 20:30
Contact:

Re: Why 10v10 matters. (How to increase Wargame's playerbase)

Postby Illusive » Sat 29 Oct 2016 22:50

People don't leave because 10vs10s suck, they leave because the tutorial is a PowerPoint presentation. Heck, I bought EE when it was on sale like 2 years ago, played the campaigns and enjoyed it so I bought ALB and played the campaigns and then bough RD when it was on sale. The tutorials in the earlier games aren't that great but at least they're actually live action and teach you the mechanics by having you use them!

To become half decent at Wargame you have to go out and find guides and videos on your own, this is something the average player that doesn't love the game instantly isn't going to do, they will buy the game, skim through the tutorial, go into an MP game with one of the starter decks, buy a bunch of shit units, get creamed, and do it over again until they give up.
Typical Forum Expert wrote:Just because I only play destruction doesn't mean my opinion is worthless!
Typical Forum Expert wrote:10v10 is the purest gamemode, 1v1s are clown games that fail to prove someone's true skill level.

User avatar
Woozle
Captain
Posts: 1601
Joined: Sat 1 Feb 2014 09:22
Location: Heierlark Base, North Osea
Contact:

Re: Why 10v10 matters. (How to increase Wargame's playerbase)

Postby Woozle » Sat 29 Oct 2016 22:50

morpher wrote:
Lauer wrote:[*]Try to make game balance adjustments that will make 10v10 a better experience without impacting 2v2
Things like reducing the AoE individual cluster arty rockets, increasing the time of flight for mortars etc.


This will change nothing in 10vs10s but will kill cluster arty and mortars in small game.

Any other ideas?


Why would you want cluster arty and mortars at all?

User avatar
morpher
Major-General
Posts: 3975
Joined: Sun 17 May 2015 21:03

Re: Why 10v10 matters. (How to increase Wargame's playerbase)

Postby morpher » Sat 29 Oct 2016 22:53

Woozle wrote:
morpher wrote:
Lauer wrote:[*]Try to make game balance adjustments that will make 10v10 a better experience without impacting 2v2
Things like reducing the AoE individual cluster arty rockets, increasing the time of flight for mortars etc.


This will change nothing in 10vs10s but will kill cluster arty and mortars in small game.

Any other ideas?


Why would you want cluster arty and mortars at all?


Cluster arty has a role in 2vs2s-3vs3s. Mortars are useful everywhere. I don't get your point....

terror51247
Major
Posts: 1851
Joined: Thu 27 Sep 2012 12:55
Contact:

Re: Why 10v10 matters. (How to increase Wargame's playerbase)

Postby terror51247 » Sat 29 Oct 2016 22:53

Some suport assets are cancerous in 10v10 because half of the enemy team can focus at single target at a single time.One of the things that cause this problem is the suport assets's low response time.If the suporting assets's response time is increased that problem will become smaller.Artillery would need to have its aviability increased and its price reduced or else artillery would become underpowered.Airpower already does too much so it wouldnt need any buffs.
How can anyone play to a faction's strength if the major flavour of that faction is overpriced units in every category?

User avatar
Woozle
Captain
Posts: 1601
Joined: Sat 1 Feb 2014 09:22
Location: Heierlark Base, North Osea
Contact:

Re: Why 10v10 matters. (How to increase Wargame's playerbase)

Postby Woozle » Sat 29 Oct 2016 22:54

morpher wrote:
Cluster arty has a role in 2vs2s-3vs3s. Mortars are useful everywhere. I don't get your point....


My point is they are unfun and nearly uncounterable everywhere.

User avatar
morpher
Major-General
Posts: 3975
Joined: Sun 17 May 2015 21:03

Re: Why 10v10 matters. (How to increase Wargame's playerbase)

Postby morpher » Sat 29 Oct 2016 22:56

Woozle wrote:
morpher wrote:
Cluster arty has a role in 2vs2s-3vs3s. Mortars are useful everywhere. I don't get your point....


My point is they are unfun and nearly uncounterable everywhere.


No, they are fun and counterable in 1vs1 to 3vs3.

User avatar
Woozle
Captain
Posts: 1601
Joined: Sat 1 Feb 2014 09:22
Location: Heierlark Base, North Osea
Contact:

Re: Why 10v10 matters. (How to increase Wargame's playerbase)

Postby Woozle » Sat 29 Oct 2016 22:57

morpher wrote:
Woozle wrote:
morpher wrote:
Cluster arty has a role in 2vs2s-3vs3s. Mortars are useful everywhere. I don't get your point....


My point is they are unfun and nearly uncounterable everywhere.


No, they are fun and counterable in 1vs1 to 3vs3.


How would decreasing the number of players suddenly make them counterable, the ability to shoot and scoot is still too high.

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 37 guests