1v1 ranked automatch should take into account a player's rank

Armageddon
Corporal

1v1 ranked automatch should take into account a player's rank

Postby Armageddon » Fri 4 Nov 2016 10:06

I think more players would play 1v1 ranked games, if there were an option for players to only play against someone at their rank level.

i.e. Private vs Private. Corporal vs Corporal. ... General vs General.

So, if there is no one at the same rank searching for a match, there will be no match. This is the key part.

This way, noobs can CHOOSE to be matched against noobs.

This feature might also help top players maintain their ELO. i.e. Generals don't have to roll the dice and end up playing against Privates if they don't want to.

Mid ranked players who want the opportunity to challenge someone at a high rank, in order to boost their ELO quickly, can still do so, simply by not selecting this option.

orcbuster
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Re: 1v1 ranked automatch should take into account a player's rank

Postby orcbuster » Fri 4 Nov 2016 10:20

Frankly sounds more likely to kill matchmaking completely.
Viker for ingen!

Armageddon
Corporal

Postby Armageddon » Fri 4 Nov 2016 10:45

orcbuster wrote:Frankly sounds more likely to kill matchmaking completely.

No it wouldn't.

As I say, the option to play a ranked match as it is now would still be available.

If anything, the player base would increase, or at least the rate of attrition would decrease.

Maybe players above a certain rank, say Major or Lt Col, should not choose this option, because there are only so many Majors, Lt Cols, etc.

Re Private vs Private matches, after a certain number of wins surely a player's ELO would give him the rank of Corporal. This is how ELO works. So players can progress or regress over time.

I believe the current automatch system was intended to work this way, but in practice it does not because there are not enough players online searching for a ranked match. And the reason why nobody is searching to play ranked is because no low ranked player wants to be matched with a high ranked player.

Also, if you look a the casual games lobby, you'll see people stating expressly in the headings "no noobs" or "noobs only".

Would it not be simpler for the system to do that, for ranked and casual games?

Wirri
Warrant Officer

Postby Wirri » Fri 4 Nov 2016 10:47

Armageddon wrote:I think more players would play 1v1 ranked games, if there were an option for players to only play against someone at their rank level.

i.e. Private vs Private. Corporal vs Corporal. ... General vs General.

So, if there is no one at the same rank searching for a match, there will be no match. This is the key part.

This way, noobs can CHOOSE to be matched against noobs.

This feature might also help top players maintain their ELO. i.e. Generals don't have to roll the dice and end up playing against Privates if they don't want to.

Mid ranked players who want the opportunity to challenge someone at a high rank, in order to boost their ELO quickly, can still do so, simply by not selecting this option.

No, no matches would be played, and afaik it currently tries to do that but after a time it gives another rank player against you.
And if you're such a noob you're not up for a challenge you should probably not play ranked, Challenge is what makes you better.

This is honestly of the worst ideas I've heard about ranked.
Spoiler : :
Razzmann wrote:
Wirri wrote:Can I finally call myself a shitposter?

You have my blessing.

QUAD
Colonel

Postby QUAD » Fri 4 Nov 2016 11:01

In RTS games that actually have a real 1v1 community getting matched up with people your skill level is the norm. There just arent enough 1v1 players in RD though.
Mobile Units Operational :!:

deadnation
Command Sergeant Major

Postby deadnation » Fri 4 Nov 2016 13:24

Auto matchmaking works like it should. It just that player base isn't anywhere near big enough and many don't play ranked, so not enough players in searching ranked to support matchmaking system that would give fare fights.

Or how do you plan to form balanced game when there is 5 players in que same time at best. No matchmaking in world can create balanced matches without thousands of active players and preferable many hundreds queuing same time.

There have been 3 wargame games and i all of them matchmaking has been really unpopular and suffered <10 players in mm.

Even in CSGO with 500 000 players in game it can take multiple minutes to find match on some ranks.

Armageddon
Corporal

Postby Armageddon » Fri 4 Nov 2016 23:40

QUAD wrote:In RTS games that actually have a real 1v1 community getting matched up with people your skill level is the norm. There just arent enough 1v1 players in RD though.

Apparently, many stop playing 1v1 ranked in this game because of the current matchmaking system. So my suggestion would increase the number of players, as I say.

I realise some players enjoy the current approach because they can get easy wins. Read the following post: 86% of his games were against Privates.

viewtopic.php?f=155&t=49228&hilit=automatch#p710264

But to these sorts, what's the point? Where's the challenge?

All that needs to change is that when a player chooses to play within his rank, the system does not allow a match to proceed when 2 searchers are not at the same rank.

The current approach of trying to automatch and then after a few seconds giving up on automatch altogether, and pairing the searcher with anyone, is the problem.

If say a Private is searching for a Private only match, let him search for however long, and the chances are he will get his Private only match. If he is taken out of the search queue, and matched too early, the opportunity to "automatch" will be missed.

The same applies to high ranked players. I've seen many high ranked players, in the casual games lobby, want to play against players at their rank or above, as opposed to noobs. They state this in the heading, and they kick players accordingly.

This simple change would do wonders for the game. 1v1 ranked would get more players.

throwaway
Lieutenant

Postby throwaway » Fri 4 Nov 2016 23:47

Most highrank players already restart their search every time the timer goes above 2 or 3 or 5 minutes, this ensures they don't get matched against majors and below unless the newbie is letting his timer run (which can kinda still be avoided, if I've reset my timer twice and I still see one other player searching I know there's a risk he isn't resetting his timer). Elo does a good job of discouraging people from pubstomping.

I don't think the main issue with ranked is that many people stop, it's that many people don't start at all. A big part of the community hasn't even played the one game needed to get the private icon, because ranked isn't presented as the main game mode.

Armageddon
Corporal

Postby Armageddon » Sat 5 Nov 2016 00:01

throwaway wrote:Most highrank players already restart their search every time the timer goes above 2 or 3 or 5 minutes, this ensures they don't get matched against majors and below unless the newbie is letting his timer run (which can kinda still be avoided, if I've reset my timer twice and I still see one other player searching I know there's a risk he isn't resetting his timer). Elo does a good job of discouraging people from pubstomping.

I don't think the main issue with ranked is that many people stop, it's that many people don't start at all. A big part of the community hasn't even played the one game needed to get the private icon, because ranked isn't presented as the main game mode.

It is not minutes. The other poster said 2-3 SECONDS. The system gives up on automatch after a few seconds. Click the link I posted above and read the post.

There are also posts on reddit about the need to improve Wargame's automatch.

And I think the automatch system is the same as the one in AirLand. And this is the reason why many have not played a ranked match at all. i.e. They gave up on the idea long ago.

cuski
Sergeant

Postby cuski » Sat 5 Nov 2016 00:06

Or people (speaking from experience) don't play ranked because they don't like playing 1v1 or 2v2. Now even if you expanded on that, it would require quite a bit of organizing and timing to actually get 3v3 or 4v4 teams together.

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”