1v1 ranked automatch should take into account a player's rank

throwaway
Lieutenant
Posts: 1262
Joined: Fri 27 Feb 2015 21:23
Contact:

Re: 1v1 ranked automatch should take into account a player's rank

Postby throwaway » Sun 6 Nov 2016 06:07

Armageddon wrote: the automatch system will try to automatch for a short while (apparently seconds)


everything said to you enters through one ear and immediately goes out the other

cheer up
Warrant Officer
Posts: 458
Joined: Fri 28 Aug 2015 20:57
Contact:

Re: 1v1 ranked automatch should take into account a player's rank

Postby cheer up » Sun 6 Nov 2016 06:14

throwaway wrote:Look at stealth's ranked series. Out of 10 matches he met 1 major, everyone else was IIRC within 100 elo of him. People who don't play ranked make all sorts of excuses to protect their self image as good players, that you get unbalanced matchups, that its full of smurfs, that its full of helorushes, but in reality most of these things account for a minority of matches. The reason ranked isn't the main mode is that it's not presented as the main mode, and that many people see it as something to try only once they've gotten good at the game (again, see stealth with his first ranked game after 2000 hours or whatever the exact number is).

Uneven matchups are a problem but it's not the one that will "fix" ranked because its not the main cause for the lack of players in the first place.
he played vs a col too

Armageddon
Corporal
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat 8 Oct 2016 23:50
Contact:

Re: 1v1 ranked automatch should take into account a player's rank

Postby Armageddon » Sun 6 Nov 2016 08:14

cheer up wrote:
throwaway wrote:Look at stealth's ranked series. Out of 10 matches he met 1 major, everyone else was IIRC within 100 elo of him. People who don't play ranked make all sorts of excuses to protect their self image as good players, that you get unbalanced matchups, that its full of smurfs, that its full of helorushes, but in reality most of these things account for a minority of matches. The reason ranked isn't the main mode is that it's not presented as the main mode, and that many people see it as something to try only once they've gotten good at the game (again, see stealth with his first ranked game after 2000 hours or whatever the exact number is).

Uneven matchups are a problem but it's not the one that will "fix" ranked because its not the main cause for the lack of players in the first place.
he played vs a col too


Actually since stealth17 only played 13 ranked matches and it is all on youtube, let's fact check and crunch the numbers:

i.e. stealth17 vs opponent

Match 1: Unranked vs Sgt
Match 2: Pvt vs Col
Match 3: Pvt vs Corp
Match 4: Pvt vs Pvt
Match 5: Pvt vs Pvt
Match 6: Pvt vs Unranked
Match 7: Pvt vs SgtM
Match 8: Pvt vs Col
Match 9: Pvt vs Pvt
Match 10: Pvt vs Pvt
Match 11: Corp vs Corp
Match 12: Sgt vs Pvt
Match 13: Corp vs Maj

Out of 13 matches, assuming unranked is equivalent to pvt, stealth17 was matched against
- the same rank 6 times: 46.1%
- a higher rank 6 times: 46.1%
- a lower rank 1 time: 7.6%

Notice his first 2 ranked games: a Sgt and a Col.

User avatar
morpher
Major-General
Posts: 3975
Joined: Sun 17 May 2015 21:03

Re: 1v1 ranked automatch should take into account a player's rank

Postby morpher » Sun 6 Nov 2016 09:51

serg123 wrote:Wasn't it you who was stomped by razzmann - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjpMOPritsA
Its terrible..


Yes, but vs random was blue mech.


Maybe it would have been less of a stomp with a different deck but see it my way: there will be no patch with the 10vs10 map, yugo will bring the last planned patch.

So, what will realistically happen? A bit of power creep, RD buffs and some more nerfs to ec as usual. Moto still has a whole 2 cards of decent infantry and the deck has 1 or two months before becoming totally useless. Time to play ec moto.

Random
Captain
Posts: 1509
Joined: Thu 31 Jan 2013 19:05
Contact:

Re: 1v1 ranked automatch should take into account a player's rank

Postby Random » Sun 6 Nov 2016 14:30

Armageddon wrote:
Random wrote:But I have no data at all if that is true for other people aswell, this might just aswell (and how I see it, more likely) lead to people quiting ranked due to waittimes, which icreases waittimes, which leads to even less ppl playing, leading to a dead rankedmode.


Again, you misunderstand the point. The idea is to increase the number of players. People are not playing or have stopped playing ranked because of the uneven matchups. With more players, the wait times will reduce. If ranked is now dead because few people are playing, what is there to lose?

Furthermore, if the trick to ranked is to not search first but to jump in when someone else is searching and then only do so for a few SECONDS, as the other person says, then naturally few people search first - and as a result there is little activity.

When players are allowed to search within their rank, more will initiate a search and for longer, because they know they will play within their rank. i.e. They will wait. Right now, many are reluctant to search first, and when they do, they stop so as to avoid being NOT automatched, because automatch stops after a few seconds. Result, less searches and less activity.


You make a lot of assumptions on other peoples motivation when searching ranked. Also your suggestion with no doubt will increase waitingtimes (at the very least at first), and you just assume everyone will ignore that increase and keep searching, and even new people will start searching.


Your entire argument is based on a lot of assumptions, where you cannot know if they are true. Maybe they are, maybe they are not. Maybe your assumptions are mostly correct and this would increase the amount of people who play, maybe it would decrease it.

Also something else, ranked is not dead, not at all. You find a game within 5-10 minutes almost every time. 5-10 minutes is nothing if you play in windowed for example doing something else or are making a deck.

Random
Captain
Posts: 1509
Joined: Thu 31 Jan 2013 19:05
Contact:

Re: 1v1 ranked automatch should take into account a player's rank

Postby Random » Sun 6 Nov 2016 15:49

Armageddon wrote:i.e. stealth17 vs opponent

Match 1: Unranked vs Sgt
Match 2: Pvt vs Col
Match 3: Pvt vs Corp
Match 4: Pvt vs Pvt
Match 5: Pvt vs Pvt
Match 6: Pvt vs Unranked
Match 7: Pvt vs SgtM
Match 8: Pvt vs Col
Match 9: Pvt vs Pvt
Match 10: Pvt vs Pvt
Match 11: Corp vs Corp
Match 12: Sgt vs Pvt
Match 13: Corp vs Maj

Out of 13 matches, assuming unranked is equivalent to pvt, stealth17 was matched against
- the same rank 6 times: 46.1%
- a higher rank 6 times: 46.1%
- a lower rank 1 time: 7.6%



The same ranking range in 10 out of 13 cases, that is actually pretty good.

SocialistJamie
Sergeant
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue 5 Jul 2016 23:54
Contact:

Re: 1v1 ranked automatch should take into account a player's rank

Postby SocialistJamie » Mon 7 Nov 2016 00:41

Is there a TIME RANGE and DAY (of the week) when you'd have enough people searching ranked to have most decent chance of matching with low ranked players?

My guess would be Saturday through Tuesday afternoons (in the USA).
After midnight players are the hardcore ones, barely any noobs, and much fewer players everywhere.

User avatar
orcbuster
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!
Posts: 12362
Joined: Fri 7 Sep 2012 21:04
Contact:

Re: 1v1 ranked automatch should take into account a player's rank

Postby orcbuster » Mon 7 Nov 2016 02:29

SocialistJamie wrote:Is there a TIME RANGE and DAY (of the week) when you'd have enough people searching ranked to have most decent chance of matching with low ranked players?

My guess would be Saturday through Tuesday afternoons (in the USA).
After midnight players are the hardcore ones, barely any noobs, and much fewer players everywhere.


Peak time is EU CST past 18:00ish.
Image
Viker for ingen!

SocialistJamie
Sergeant
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue 5 Jul 2016 23:54
Contact:

Re: 1v1 ranked automatch should take into account a player's rank

Postby SocialistJamie » Mon 7 Nov 2016 04:24

orcbuster wrote:
SocialistJamie wrote:Is there a TIME RANGE and DAY (of the week) when you'd have enough people searching ranked to have most decent chance of matching with low ranked players?

My guess would be Saturday through Tuesday afternoons (in the USA).
After midnight players are the hardcore ones, barely any noobs, and much fewer players everywhere.


Peak time is EU CST past 18:00ish.

Which means 11-12pm for the Eastern half of North America. Dang, right when most Americans are working, or the night workers are sleeping.

cheer up
Warrant Officer
Posts: 458
Joined: Fri 28 Aug 2015 20:57
Contact:

Re: 1v1 ranked automatch should take into account a player's rank

Postby cheer up » Mon 7 Nov 2016 04:39

Armageddon wrote:
cheer up wrote:
throwaway wrote:Look at stealth's ranked series. Out of 10 matches he met 1 major, everyone else was IIRC within 100 elo of him. People who don't play ranked make all sorts of excuses to protect their self image as good players, that you get unbalanced matchups, that its full of smurfs, that its full of helorushes, but in reality most of these things account for a minority of matches. The reason ranked isn't the main mode is that it's not presented as the main mode, and that many people see it as something to try only once they've gotten good at the game (again, see stealth with his first ranked game after 2000 hours or whatever the exact number is).

Uneven matchups are a problem but it's not the one that will "fix" ranked because its not the main cause for the lack of players in the first place.
he played vs a col too


Actually since stealth17 only played 13 ranked matches and it is all on youtube, let's fact check and crunch the numbers:

i.e. stealth17 vs opponent

Match 1: Unranked vs Sgt
Match 2: Pvt vs Col
Match 3: Pvt vs Corp
Match 4: Pvt vs Pvt
Match 5: Pvt vs Pvt
Match 6: Pvt vs Unranked
Match 7: Pvt vs SgtM
Match 8: Pvt vs Col
Match 9: Pvt vs Pvt
Match 10: Pvt vs Pvt
Match 11: Corp vs Corp
Match 12: Sgt vs Pvt
Match 13: Corp vs Maj

Out of 13 matches, assuming unranked is equivalent to pvt, stealth17 was matched against
- the same rank 6 times: 46.1%
- a higher rank 6 times: 46.1%
- a lower rank 1 time: 7.6%

Notice his first 2 ranked games: a Sgt and a Col.

why are you quoting me when i said he played vs a COL? me and throwaway watched every game together so you're not really saying anything new. Either way, what's your point? He didn't even have a 50% win rate

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 43 guests