Yugoslavia: The Frequently Asked Questions

User avatar
QuickenRed
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed 18 Feb 2015 12:31
Contact:

Re: Yugoslavia: The Frequently Asked Questions

Postby QuickenRed » Fri 9 Dec 2016 10:48

Like I already wrote on reddit, to someone who is familiar with old partisan movies and specific language used within JNA (very formal, technically precise terms spoken by macho mustached officers) voice acting is lacking, but I agree, let's be grateful there's any yugo language in game at all.

Interesting bit about yugos's language - it can be considered dead, since JNA used srbskohrvatski (serbo - croatian), official language of Yugoslavia, that simply ceased to exist when Yugo fell apart. So today, in a game set in cold war period, you can actually hear dead language being spoken, quite cool eh.
Image

User avatar
Mako
General
Posts: 7352
Joined: Sun 5 May 2013 20:00
Location: Cascadia
Contact:

Re: Yugoslavia: The Frequently Asked Questions

Postby Mako » Sun 11 Dec 2016 08:23

HrcAk47 wrote:
Mako wrote:Did they ever up armor them?

I thought the M60 wast kind of shitty vehicle in terms of speed and protection.


It isn't uparmored. Base front armor is 25 mm steel. It was designed against KPVT in mind.

It has significantly more protection vs Bradley A0, for example, which has 25 mm... aluminium.


The Bradley was designed against the KPVT as well, and is significantly better armored than the M113 which has more aluminum than that.

You know a lot about yugoslavia but when you say things like that...

Image

What was your source, Pentagon Wars? :lol:
If there's two kinds of players, those that like challenges and those that want a fair game, pubstomps should make everyone happy.

codextero
Lieutenant Colonel
Posts: 2334
Joined: Sat 13 Dec 2014 02:52
Contact:

Re: Yugoslavia: The Frequently Asked Questions

Postby codextero » Sun 11 Dec 2016 08:34

Mako wrote:
HrcAk47 wrote:
Mako wrote:Did they ever up armor them?

I thought the M60 wast kind of shitty vehicle in terms of speed and protection.


It isn't uparmored. Base front armor is 25 mm steel. It was designed against KPVT in mind.

It has significantly more protection vs Bradley A0, for example, which has 25 mm... aluminium.


The Bradley was designed against the KPVT as well, and is significantly better armored than the M113 which has more aluminum than that.

You know a lot about yugoslavia but when you say things like that...


He doesn't take into account slope when he says that.

The front armor for the Bradley has been described as similar to the M113, but more sloped. This would mean 1.5 inches of 5083 @ 65 degrees, or 90mm LOS 5083 aluminium. Depending on how you count 5083 Aluminium, that's 30-45mm RHAe.

User avatar
Mako
General
Posts: 7352
Joined: Sun 5 May 2013 20:00
Location: Cascadia
Contact:

Re: Yugoslavia: The Frequently Asked Questions

Postby Mako » Sun 11 Dec 2016 08:42

Sure but he was implying that was the effective thickness, and uncritically accepting that the US would put out a significantly less armored vehicle compared to the already insufficiently armored M113 is ridiculous.
If there's two kinds of players, those that like challenges and those that want a fair game, pubstomps should make everyone happy.

User avatar
HrcAk47
Colonel
Posts: 2788
Joined: Sat 3 May 2014 18:00
Contact:

Re: Yugoslavia: The Frequently Asked Questions

Postby HrcAk47 » Tue 13 Dec 2016 14:32

A thing I forgot to publish, this is the "everything" list of Yugo units considered at one time or another.

238 units total. Blue made it in, Red didn't, Yellow is just a texmod away from existing nations (sans Yugo and Finland).

This is a rough list, a draft, and doesn't bother with stats beside the most basic ones.
The SEAD never bothered me anyway.

SMB Yugoslavia Retexture Mod, now released, v.1.0

Black_Waltz
Private
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue 13 Dec 2016 22:54
Contact:

Re: Yugoslavia: The Frequently Asked Questions

Postby Black_Waltz » Tue 13 Dec 2016 22:56

HrcAk47 wrote:
Guggy wrote:Idk, I think it was more or less on time? The production values seem about right.

How is the voice acting btw, to native speakers?


I personally thought Christmas or early January was a more realistic estimate, so this is actually great. It contains twice as many units as Israel, and it was still done with attention to detail (I wrote detailed descriptions of how should units look like, and they were (mostly) followed to the letter. For example, the M-84s are absolutely perfect, all the visual details and differences were done).

I can tell that there's two guys doing Yugo voices. You can tell from a mile away they aren't native. :lol: One is making an actual effort, however. Almost there. The other one doesn't care much :D Still, having any voices for Yugo is great!



Dunno mate, one guy sounds like he is from Croatia or Bosnia, and the other one sounds pretty much spot on Serbian.

User avatar
Partibrejker
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 333
Joined: Sun 22 Feb 2015 22:14
Location: Elektronska Industrija, Yugoslavia
Contact:

Re: Yugoslavia: The Frequently Asked Questions

Postby Partibrejker » Tue 13 Dec 2016 23:32

Black_Waltz wrote:
HrcAk47 wrote:
Guggy wrote:Idk, I think it was more or less on time? The production values seem about right.

How is the voice acting btw, to native speakers?


I personally thought Christmas or early January was a more realistic estimate, so this is actually great. It contains twice as many units as Israel, and it was still done with attention to detail (I wrote detailed descriptions of how should units look like, and they were (mostly) followed to the letter. For example, the M-84s are absolutely perfect, all the visual details and differences were done).

I can tell that there's two guys doing Yugo voices. You can tell from a mile away they aren't native. :lol: One is making an actual effort, however. Almost there. The other one doesn't care much :D Still, having any voices for Yugo is great!



Dunno mate, one guy sounds like he is from Croatia or Bosnia, and the other one sounds pretty much spot on Serbian.


one guy sounds like he came out of GTA 4 and that is really, really, really not good, basically it is like that western guy learned Russian and then tried to speak Serbian. Though it feels there is one more actor in the story that is much less present and he is still not spot on, but muuuuuuch better. I do not know how paying fees go for voice acting in western world, but for the amount of sentences that are spoken in game, I can almost put my life that they could get some top class actor (Nikola Kojo for example) that would do an a-m-a-z-i-n-g job for the same price, probably even cheaper.
Spoiler : :

Black_Waltz
Private
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue 13 Dec 2016 22:54
Contact:

Re: Yugoslavia: The Frequently Asked Questions

Postby Black_Waltz » Tue 13 Dec 2016 23:50

Yea, the guy who has less lines sounds much better then the one that has the most lines. The biggest bother for me is "Ima li mushterija za voznju" line - it makes me cringe every time I hear it :)

Well, I confess they are not perfect, but better that than some English guy who does the Russian accent :)

Also, i don't think Nikola Kojo would come cheap. Maybe Bikovic, but he is a terrible actor.

Guggy
General
Posts: 8645
Joined: Thu 17 Nov 2011 02:53
Location: peaceful skeleton realm
Contact:

Re: Yugoslavia: The Frequently Asked Questions

Postby Guggy » Wed 14 Dec 2016 00:13

I've pondered a community-made voice mod, since the mod dudes like ALBNoob have cracked the sound files. It could be interesting to have with players from different nations voicing units, with quality requirements ofc :P

User avatar
Partibrejker
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 333
Joined: Sun 22 Feb 2015 22:14
Location: Elektronska Industrija, Yugoslavia
Contact:

Re: Yugoslavia: The Frequently Asked Questions

Postby Partibrejker » Wed 14 Dec 2016 00:25

Guggy wrote:I've pondered a community-made voice mod, since the mod dudes like ALBNoob have cracked the sound files. It could be interesting to have with players from different nations voicing units, with quality requirements ofc :P


for that part consider having Yugo covered, with all the accents from Yugoslavia :)
Spoiler : :

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 65 guests