Playing against Pubstomps (and regarding MRLS)

M4jor
Sergeant Major of the Army

Playing against Pubstomps (and regarding MRLS)

Postby M4jor » Fri 2 Dec 2016 08:11

Just a side note:

Since Israel DLC it became increasingly frustrating and pointless to face pubstomps.
I did it from time to time, just for the fun of holding against the hordes or trolling some stompers for some time.
Yeah, MLRS spam was real even back then, but it was manageable, at least somehow and with 300% effort.

But with Israel it became ridiculous. It rains HE, Cluster and Flames all day, nonstop. One times one after the other, the next time everything together. Even Red Dragons couldnt spam so hard and I think it was NSWP that could field so many cluster arty that the ground as thick black in 2 miles radius after the attack.

I think MLRS is still the cancer of the games, in 10vs10 especially.

Is there not a way to tone this down a bit? I really cant think of a nerf that would hurt MLRS in smaller games, like a huge supply cost increase, a decrease of its Rate of Fire or a huge Reload time increase. All these would barely weaken that stuff in smaller games, but help much in 10vs10.

This is not just for me, I just think of new players who join wargame and experience this with their first games repeatedly.

EDIT: I mean, there are players that litlerally only have MLRS systems and like 6-8 FOBs (mixed NATO for example) and spam the map randomly on certain spots. Asgard is designed for that, I admit, it provides only some places to hide and to mass troops/repair and stuff.
Whenever something like this happened in the past (rushes in EE, helo and IFV and Plane Spam in ALB) it was toned down (Rushes gone, IFV spam and Plane spam gone, helo spam, well, thats lasting).

So why is there no attempt to tone down MLRS?

molnibalage
General

Re: Playing against Pubstomps (and regarding MRLS)

Postby molnibalage » Fri 2 Dec 2016 09:19

You cannot do anything with MLRS in 10v10 because if you lower MLRS avail in general games up to 4v4 players you would mess the avail. This is the nature of 10v10. If you cannot live this do not play general and high point 10 v 10. In 10 v 10 tactical games you can't see this because of lower CP avail.

thenosh
Lieutenant

Postby thenosh » Fri 2 Dec 2016 09:45

I agree that mlrs could be toned down a bit. Longer reload times or somthing like that would do it.
"Where is my T-80UK CV with top mounted BUK-M1?"

-Wargame global chat, somewhen somewhere-

Lauer
Sergeant

Postby Lauer » Fri 2 Dec 2016 09:49

Because Eugen refuses to make any balance decisions based on 10v10. Their reasoning being that it is impossible and no matter what they do people will still complain and it won't make any difference. You can argue this point with them all day and you will get nowhere. If you want them to make 10v10 more fun, this is what I would recommend you do:
  • Get someone important to listen to you: Madmat,FLX, any of the Marshals. As I've learned from experience, if you make public forum posts you will end up arguing with people who can't give you what you want.
  • Convince them that 10v10 is worthwhile: Tons of people own this game but never play it because of 10v10 arty spam. That's a whole lot of potential DLC customers that Eugen is missing out on.
  • Convince them that making 10v10 fun would require minimal effort: Argue that they don't need to 'balance' 10v10, just make some crude changes so that it isn't frustrating for people. Remove unit x, make cluster MLRS very weak, double the morale recovery, etc. These are all just stat edits that modders can do in about 5 minutes. Try downloading some mods to see whats possible.
  • Convince them to make a seperate steam branch for this 10v10 Wargame: They did this with DLC #3, see this link for what I'm talking about.

Sigirdiwarth
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Sigirdiwarth » Fri 2 Dec 2016 09:58

I don't think that making shitty MLRS shittier will change how you feel when your stack of units get panicked and slightly wounded by them.

QuickenRed
Staff Sergeant

Postby QuickenRed » Fri 2 Dec 2016 10:24

Better game creating options would go a long way. For example, when setting up 10v10 you could have an option to set the max number of unit x or remove it completely from that game. If there are 10 USSR players with burratinos each, an the limit is, say, 3, 7 don't get to call in their burrito. I know this requires coding work, but I'm not talking about WG3 here.

Fade2Gray
General

Postby Fade2Gray » Fri 2 Dec 2016 11:36

Lauer wrote:Convince them that 10v10 is worthwhile: Tons of people own this game but never play it because of 10v10 arty spam.

Sure hope you have some hard facts and data.

Convince them that making 10v10 fun would require minimal effort: Argue that they don't need to 'balance' 10v10, just make some crude changes so that it isn't frustrating for people. Remove unit x, make cluster MLRS very weak, double the morale recovery, etc. These are all just stat edits that modders can do in about 5 minutes. Try downloading some mods to see whats possible.

You are opening a serious can of worms here. From making units useless to removing units, which we all know EUGEN doesn't do, me thinks you don't know what you are saying.

Convince them to make a seperate steam branch for this 10v10 Wargame: They did this with DLC #3, see this link for what I'm talking about.

No doubt that would be "easy."
Think you have what it takes to enlist into the military? You sure about that?

Lauer
Sergeant

Postby Lauer » Sat 3 Dec 2016 04:48

Fade2Gray wrote:...

Lauer wrote:As I've learned from experience, if you make public forum posts you will end up arguing with people who can't give you what you want.

Trimen
Second-Lieutenant

Postby Trimen » Sat 3 Dec 2016 05:10

Can't they write a script that doubles the cost of mid to long range arty costs, both in deployment and reload, in 10 v 10?

This way 4v4 is not affected, but 10 v 10 will less of a cluster F*** <Pun intended>

Mako
General

Postby Mako » Sat 3 Dec 2016 05:47

The plamen is like a better burrito, insta stun whenever you want it at a moments notice.

Better because of range, rof, speed, supply cost, price and availability
If there's two kinds of players, those that like challenges and those that want a fair game, pubstomps should make everyone happy.

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”