remove revealed unit indication

nande
Lieutenant

remove revealed unit indication

Postby nande » Sat 3 Dec 2016 16:51

when spotted in cover, units stop blinking. It's a sixth sense that lowers the value of recon/positioning, and is quite gamey overall. The feature is punishing for new players as it is not intuitive and is not mentioned anywhere in the game. It's also inconsistent, as it only works on units in cover. Its removal would actually be beneficial to gameplay, and following the removal of similar features/exploits, I hope this one is next on the list.

Sweedish_Gunner
Brigadier

Re: remove revealed unit indication

Postby Sweedish_Gunner » Sat 3 Dec 2016 16:53

This has been around forever, it's not going anywhere and I'm glad.

damoj
Command Sergeant Major

Postby damoj » Sat 3 Dec 2016 16:57

nande wrote:when spotted in cover, units stop blinking. It's a sixth sense that lowers the value of recon/positioning, and is quite gamey overall. The feature is punishing for new players as it is not intuitive and is not mentioned anywhere in the game. It's also inconsistent, as it only works on units in cover. Its removal would actually be beneficial to gameplay, and following the removal of similar features/exploits, I hope this one is next on the list.

I'm not sure if it's "unintuitive" and it represents a fairly big change, but it could be cool for higher-end players. Maybe expanded rule-sets options in menus for servers, with this and other modifiers, would be better.

Nonetheless if Eugene could at least fix the Finnish "I'm spotted!" voices (they still howl loudly) that would be great.

nande
Lieutenant

Postby nande » Sat 3 Dec 2016 16:59

Sweedish_Gunner wrote:This has been around forever, it's not going anywhere and I'm glad.
why? For some it ruins immersion and the game's sense of realism. And as I mentioned, it lowers the value of recon.
Besides you liking it, what arguments are there for this feature?

Sigirdiwarth
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Sigirdiwarth » Sat 3 Dec 2016 17:00

100% agreed, this needs to go.

Mister Maf
Lieutenant

Postby Mister Maf » Sat 3 Dec 2016 17:04

nande wrote:
Sweedish_Gunner wrote:This has been around forever, it's not going anywhere and I'm glad.
why? For some it ruins immersion and the game's sense of realism. And as I mentioned, it lowers the value of recon.

It lets the player be more informed of the tactical situation so they can act accordingly. Otherwise, for example, units could be prone to cheesy suicide sniping by ATGM planes without any warning even though as far as you knew you were doing everything right.

And I like it too. Recon is still incredibly important either way.

urogard
Brigadier

Postby urogard » Sat 3 Dec 2016 17:10

nande wrote:

The only indicator that's needed as a gameplay help is indicator if a unit is inside cover or not.
having an indicator of "there's an enemy unit which can see yours" is breaking gameplay and ruins tactical options without any justifiable reason.

Smart players once spotting your unit will either destroy it immediately or backtrack to unspot your unit so that you dont know you were spotted. Which is yet another dumb activity people need to engage in.
Sgt. Jackson has spotted this juicy target but he had to walk back so that the opposing commander doesn't find out we know about the position of his AA battery...

Mister Maf wrote:Otherwise, for example, units could be prone to cheesy suicide sniping by ATGM planes without any warning even though as far as you knew you were doing everything right.

If your tank got sniped by an ATGM plane because you let an enemy recon sneak close enough to spot it then you clearly were NOT doing everything right.
Losing a tank in that situation will be very valuable experience for your future games.

nande
Lieutenant

Postby nande » Sat 3 Dec 2016 17:16

I noticed something after watching AmberT stream the other day. He said he was glad the unit info exploit was gone.
Why? Because he never managed to work it into his play.

It's the same with this community. Gamey crutches are not fine even if they don't require effort.

nande
Lieutenant

Postby nande » Sat 3 Dec 2016 17:24

I'd like units to continue blinking in cover whether spotted or not.

Random
Captain

Postby Random » Sat 3 Dec 2016 17:25

this bothers me since WEE.

Hopefully it gets removed.

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”