M4jor wrote:
- Low opacity (50-70%) = not spotted
- Blinking = not spotted but in cover
- Full opacity (100%) = spotted

I rather go for this:

Full opacity - not spotted, not in cover
Low opacity - not spotted, in cover
Blinking - spotted

I would prefer blinking as mark that the unit was spotted as the blinking naturally drag attention of the eyes.

Nevertheless removal is still prefered.

But I agree, removing the feature would be best. I just realised that the method above would also hurt behind enemy line recon and would also make it easier to indirectly locate enemy units and especially things like 2 men recon or weapon teams.

I use the "feature" already to probe forest edges and see if there is a recon team hiding nearby. When my 5 pt truck stops blinking I know that it is dangerous to go there. And I can achieve that without even using my own recon.

So, units should keep blinking when in cover AND spotted.

karsayor
Sergeant Major

Re: remove revealed unit indication

Postby karsayor » Tue 6 Dec 2016 16:23

No thanks it's not a good idea. This will promote the cancerous gameplay even more : search for valuable ennemy targets and kill them with arty / plane / mlrs...

The blink system is subtle enough, there are already many chances that peoples won't see when an unit in cover is detected or they will see it when it's too late.

I could live with it but no need to make the game even harder and frustrating for noobs.

eR_Spectre
Sergeant First-Class

Postby eR_Spectre » Tue 6 Dec 2016 17:41

karsayor wrote:No thanks it's not a good idea. This will promote the cancerous gameplay even more : search for valuable ennemy targets and kill them with arty / plane / mlrs...

Which is something totally not happening today...

karsayor wrote:I could live with it but no need to make the game even harder and frustrating for noobs.

Removal of this feature would actually makes game less frustrating for noobs, as they are not aware of and not using the blinking exploit.

FatRefrigerator
Corporal

Postby FatRefrigerator » Tue 6 Dec 2016 18:17

I'd be okay with this with a few conditions.
-Maglan need to be put in the INF tab and Shay '13 go in Recon.

-Counter-battery radar is improved so that you receive a warning that it is firing with an alert similar to the blue icon that appears at the edge of the screen when one of your units is deployed. This way your attention is drawn to the incoming artillery and you have a better chance of escaping.

-Artillery should start the match unloaded. This doesn't really have much to do with the current topic, I just think opening arty barrages are the reason serial killers exist.

RoadkillRodger
Lieutenant

Postby RoadkillRodger » Tue 6 Dec 2016 18:54

karsayor wrote:No thanks it's not a good idea. This will promote the cancerous gameplay even more : search for valuable ennemy targets and kill them with arty / plane / mlrs...

This would promote a more intuitive use of recon, in theory reducing micro loads on both sides. This is good for new players and veterans alike.

It should be an option in the lobby at the very least.

karsayor
Sergeant Major

Postby karsayor » Tue 6 Dec 2016 20:28

eR_Spectre wrote:Which is something totally not happening today...

No idea if you're joking or not.

eR_Spectre wrote:Removal of this feature would actually makes game less frustrating for noobs, as they are not aware of and not using the blinking exploit.

Ahah lol. Like it or not, it's a feature not a bug or exploit. The game was designed that way. Are you the kind of guy opening the "fix my unit" topics because not good enough ?

The reason why it's this way is because it's already easy enough to sneak recon behind enemy lines and there must be a way to know that recon is behind you because recon is such a huge advantage..

RoadkillRodger wrote:This would promote a more intuitive use of recon, in theory reducing micro loads on both sides. This is good for new players and veterans alike.

No this would only help every player to better snipe AA and valuable targets. This is not good at all, and planes are already a good panic button enough, no need to make them kill more.

Let me be clear, I'm not completly against this idea, just against this idea in the current state of the game. It would change the gameplay too much. It would make ATACMS airplanes and shits stuffs too "meta" if I can say that. It should be done with many other changes, like a spawn time for planes maybe.

Artruis
Sergeant

Postby Artruis » Tue 6 Dec 2016 20:49

karsayor wrote:

You might want to look up the definition of sarcasm.
Q: "what's the best worst choice you made in your life?"
me: "engineering"

karsayor
Sergeant Major

Postby karsayor » Tue 6 Dec 2016 20:52

Artruis wrote:You might want to look up the definition of sarcasm.

Ok then great idea to make it worse:)

eR_Spectre
Sergeant First-Class

Postby eR_Spectre » Tue 6 Dec 2016 20:54

karsayor wrote:

Of course not, not a bit of sarcasm there...

karsayor wrote:
eR_Spectre wrote:Removal of this feature would actually makes game less frustrating for noobs, as they are not aware of and not using the blinking exploit.

Ahah lol. Like it or not, it's a feature not a bug or exploit. The game was designed that way. Are you the kind of guy opening the "fix my unit" topics because not good enough ?

Of course it is an intentional design (this time really without any sarcasm) and therefore a feature as such, but due the rather poor and unintuitive implementation if feels more like an exploit, therefore I have called it such.

karsayor wrote:The reason why it's this way is because it's already easy enough to sneak recon behind enemy lines and there must be a way to know that recon is behind you because recon is such a huge advantage.

The current situation is the same due the probe and pull back tactic which effectively suppress the theoretical use of spotted unit in cover indication. Not to mentioning defensive recon, which is pretty common even with this "feature".

RoadkillRodger
Lieutenant

Postby RoadkillRodger » Tue 6 Dec 2016 21:28

karsayor wrote:
Let me be clear, I'm not completly against this idea, just against this idea in the current state of the game. It would change the gameplay too much. It would make ATACMS airplanes and shits stuffs too "meta" if I can say that.

Just because you can see a unit doesn't mean that it's a good target for an airstrike. Likewise, ATACMS and other high end cluster units are extremely rare in most ranked matches.

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”