Thats really nice, what is next?

DasaKamov
Command Sergeant Major

Re: Thats really nice, what is next?

Postby DasaKamov » Sun 4 Dec 2016 17:32

Although I (obviously) can't speak for Eugen with any authority, I imagine at some point they'd rather go back to making actual videogames rather than just becoming a DLC-factory.
"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw

urogard
Brigadier

Postby urogard » Sun 4 Dec 2016 17:49

DasaKamov wrote:Although I (obviously) can't speak for Eugen with any authority, I imagine at some point they'd rather go back to making actual videogames rather than just becoming a DLC-factory.

Whether anyone likes it or not, they eventually have to.
Extending the lifespan of RD through Nation Packs was certainly the correct decision short term.
But at best it can only be used to help build some sort of financial cushion to help bridge (a part of) the timegap until the next project release.

Engine limitations ...

Ribar
Warrant Officer

Postby Ribar » Sun 4 Dec 2016 18:03

I think airland battle came out too early, same applies to red dragon. They seem rushed comparing to european escalation where most things were smooth. What wargame red dragon is is how airland battle should have been made, with every nation except the red and blue dragons, and of course timeline should be airland battle one(=less proto units because we would not be looking at what if scenario). And upon those mistakes that were made in airland battle (ships and aircraft), 3rd and final wargame:red dragon should have been published with all the gathered experience over time. Aircraft to be called only to carry out strike, not make circus, ships only limited to river patrol boats, naval battles reworked, and so on... But then again, I understand the limitations in time and money, just what I think would have come out better.

I honestly hope for wargame in Korean/Post ww2 era. There were many conflicts, I don't think we should go any further into future with wargame.
Image :mrgreen:

FrangibleCover
Lieutenant

Postby FrangibleCover » Sun 4 Dec 2016 19:42

Honestly, I'd expect WG4 to be the Mediterranean one they looked at instead of ALB. Same time frame as RD but with the campaigns set in the Med and the addition of Italy, Spain, Romania, Greece, Turkey and maybe Bulgaria, Hungary and Albania. The community has demonstated that, of them, Italy, Spain and pyRomania would be perfectly viable, Greece and Turkey would be bad but not unsalvageable and Bulgaria would basically be USSR lite but it's not like that's stopped the DDR. Hungary and Albania are likely to be pretty awful but they're in the area and adding four BLU nations and one or two RED is going to be unpopular.

Problem is, if we add any of those nations now the butthurt will be real when people buy them and then 6 months down the line have to buy another game for which the selling point is stuff they already have. There'll be enough trouble with Yugoslavia but their nonalignedness should mean that they could remain as DLC/AI in campaign. So actually it sort of makes sense for Eugen to either run a new poll not including Club Med or, if they want to keep the secrecy up, I'd expect to see them just flat announcing Iran, South Africa and other common suggestions that don't fit into the region.

The other problem with WG4 is that there are no interesting further dimensions of combat to add. We've gone to the skies and the seas. Wargame: Sputnik Skirmish with recon satellite passes for CV sniping :lol:? Wargame: Red October with kludgy submarines? Wargame: Geneva Negotiators taking it into the political dimension? Don't use napalm if you want victory points! Wargame: Garrison Duty? Wargame: REFORGER where your reinforcements take 3 actual real life weeks to arrive and sometimes just get stomped by a Sierra?
What if Wargame stuck to timeframe?

Broth3r
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Broth3r » Sun 4 Dec 2016 21:11

As I said before, I see no need for a new Wargame in the immediate future. Red Dragon still has vast potential for expansion and improvement, both of which I see are more impactful than the (legitimate) improvements a new Wargame would bring.

Mister Maf
Lieutenant

Postby Mister Maf » Sun 4 Dec 2016 21:13

At this point I'm expecting some more balance patches but the main focus to eventually shift to the other games they're working on. No more new content for the forseeable future. Maybe a new map or two, who knows? But I get the feeling that Red Dragon's new content spree is more or less over.

captaincarnage
Major

Postby captaincarnage » Sun 4 Dec 2016 21:15

Would love for more nation packs to happen, but I'm also curious as to what Eugen are working on.
I hope your buratino's die screaming.

RoadkillRodger
Lieutenant

Postby RoadkillRodger » Sun 4 Dec 2016 22:08

remilia019 wrote:I'd wish for the flesh out older nations

This. The meta is in a decent place, although DLC nations have a bit of an edge insofar as they were designed around it. It would be nice to see some love for US/USSR/EC/Dragons, if only in the form of reroles or stat changes.

DLCs add a lot of replayability, but so would tweaking existing nations to make them more appealing.

[EUG]MadMat
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby [EUG]MadMat » Sun 4 Dec 2016 22:18

As already stated many times, we don't have further plan for RD right now.

Thread answered, thread locked.

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”