Matchmaking

thenosh
Lieutenant

Matchmaking

Postby thenosh » Mon 5 Dec 2016 21:19

More and more needed. Gonig online at an average central european evening leaves you with approximately 95% stacked lobbies. All from 2v2 up to 10v10. If you can't counterstack it and just want to play a round for fun, you're more or less doomed considering xX-G3n3r4l69-Xx is your teammate. How difficult is it in fact, to have a non-ranked matchmaking system? What is your opinion on this?
"Where is my T-80UK CV with top mounted BUK-M1?"

-Wargame global chat, somewhen somewhere-

urogard
Brigadier

Re: Matchmaking

Postby urogard » Mon 5 Dec 2016 21:39

I have a diametrically opposite experience, everytime I join a lobby there's plenty of slots on both sides so I can always chose which side to play on.

could it be that you're just trying to be lazy and join half/almost full lobbies where people naturally gravitate towards joining teams with players with decent stats?

Juke16
Corporal

Postby Juke16 » Mon 5 Dec 2016 22:04

Part of being a good tactician is deciding whether or not you wish to engage in battle no? RD is far better than EE or ALB where you didn't get to check the stats of your opponents prior to the battle and had no idea what decks your opponents were using. The other key piece of advice is to meet other players of the same skill level and form your own teams.

thenosh
Lieutenant

Postby thenosh » Mon 5 Dec 2016 22:33

urogard wrote:I have a diametrically opposite experience, everytime I join a lobby there's plenty of slots on both sides so I can always chose which side to play on.

could it be that you're just trying to be lazy and join half/almost full lobbies where people naturally gravitate towards joining teams with players with decent stats?

"Lazy" i.e. trying to find a game that will start soon instead of waiting for 40minutes in an empty lobby?

urogard
Brigadier

Postby urogard » Mon 5 Dec 2016 22:55

thenosh wrote:
urogard wrote:I have a diametrically opposite experience, everytime I join a lobby there's plenty of slots on both sides so I can always chose which side to play on.

"Lazy" i.e. trying to find a game that will start soon instead of waiting for 40minutes in an empty lobby?

Actually e.g. you just need to know which maps fill up quickly and which don't.
Hint: there's a high correlation between which maps you see being played at any point in time and the maps which fill up quickly.

And even if that were not the case. Wargame does not have the playerbase to make a game start in 1 minute unlike something like dota 2, so you are left with a choice, just like so many other things in life. Do you play many crap games or fewer decent ones.

thenosh
Lieutenant

Postby thenosh » Mon 5 Dec 2016 22:57

urogard wrote:
thenosh wrote:

Actually e.g. you just need to know which maps fill up quickly and which don't.
Hint: there's a high correlation between which maps you see being played at any point in time and the maps which fill up quickly.

And even if that were not the case. Wargame does not have the playerbase to make a game start in 1 minute unlike something like dota 2, so you are left with a choice, just like so many other things in life. Do you play many crap games or fewer decent ones.

What speakes against a ranked like matchmaker for people that just want to play a quick round with/against randoms?

Eltango
Master Sergeant

Postby Eltango » Mon 5 Dec 2016 23:07

Juke16 wrote:Part of being a good tactician is deciding whether or not you wish to engage in battle no? RD is far better than EE or ALB where you didn't get to check the stats of your opponents prior to the battle and had no idea what decks your opponents were using. The other key piece of advice is to meet other players of the same skill level and form your own teams.

Sounds good in theory but IRL Eugen allows people to reset their statistics and more and more players are doing it, they appear as a "Noob"with low win rate + low level but I happen to know some of them, they were level 30+ with >2000 games. So basically "checking stat of your opponent" doesn't do much these days.

thenosh
Lieutenant

Postby thenosh » Mon 5 Dec 2016 23:18

Eltango wrote:
Juke16 wrote:Part of being a good tactician is deciding whether or not you wish to engage in battle no? RD is far better than EE or ALB where you didn't get to check the stats of your opponents prior to the battle and had no idea what decks your opponents were using. The other key piece of advice is to meet other players of the same skill level and form your own teams.

Sounds good in theory but IRL Eugen allows people to reset their statistics and more and more players are doing it, they appear as a "Noob"with low win rate + low level but I happen to know some of them, they were level 30+ with >2000 games. So basically "checking stat of your opponent" doesn't do much these days.

Agree on that one.

Juke16
Corporal

Postby Juke16 » Mon 5 Dec 2016 23:33

thenosh wrote:
Eltango wrote:

Agree on that one.

In that case, you still have the insurance of playing with dependable friends. When I play in a group, I don't think we even bother checking the stats of opposing players. If we see a room with enough space for us we'll join, otherwise we'll just populate an empty room and then ALT+TAB to something else till the game starts.

deadnation
Command Sergeant Major

Postby deadnation » Tue 6 Dec 2016 01:28

thenosh wrote:
What speakes against a ranked like matchmaker for people that just want to play a quick round with/against randoms?

There is matchmaking in RD that work perfectly fine and no one use it. They could add new mm but it wouldn't change a thing as players would still just play on their own lobbies. There isn't enough players to have mm that can put you to play against similar skilled players. They can't pull thousands of new players from now where to be in que all the time to make sure players get similar skilled opponents. Today when i played Rd i saw 1-3 people in que, 6 pm (utc+2), there would need to be 100-1000 players in that que for mm to work/have meaning. I mean in que not in ranked games but in que searching for game.

People like playing with friends. Playing with friends is almost in any situation a lot more fun, even if you lose every match. So mm wouldn't stop you see teams of friends as they would rather stop playing rd and move to other game than go to mm alone.

There is no way to fix hard to get balanced game problem with current amount of players. The best Eugen can do is to remove the ability to see other players stats before the match and only allow after match. This way people can't pick their opponents skill level and games become more balanced over all as good and bad players get mixed to both teams and not try to avoid worse team/get to good team. Which would also shorter the lobby time.

That could also maybe have change to make players play mm ranked.

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”