Sergeant Major of the Army

Re: Maglan

Postby Seryn » Wed 7 Dec 2016 23:25

kiheerSEDMAN wrote:
QUAD wrote:
durability.
M3A2
uwot

Mako wrote:Maybe it's still too good, but since US isn't played much these days by good players nobody has realized yet.
After the price and availability nerfs, the M3A2 is pretty dead. Generally, sinking that much into such a low armor unit that can be handedly countered by the thing it's meant to counter makes it a really questionable buy now.

More importantly, meta has shifted away from the prime prey of TOW 2s. An enemy M3A2 bugging you is now significantly more forgiving than it used to be because people rock armor with closer to 17 and up which is a massive change compared to the Leo 1 meta of before. Plus, people have begun to learn the importance of mortars over time. M3A2's glory days were back before smoking became massively popular in competitive.

I'd actually call it bad at this point. Rangers (stealth/survivability) and LAVs (expendability) are really the recon units to use for the US currently. Recce Sheridan is also a questionable buy as the derp cannon is just that bad, even compared to Bushmaster, let alone 2A72 or KBA.

Inb4 Cav Scouts can ride in M3A2s in next patch because Historical accuracy.

Mako
General

Postby Mako » Wed 7 Dec 2016 23:28

RoadkillRodger wrote:I'd argue that with the way recon currently functions, not giving some recon units ranged firepower is problematic.

Short range and high price mean that it's often hard for recon units to be cost effective in the traditional sense. If all they do is keep eyes on target, the opponent will notice and move the unit back into cover.

I'm not saying they're bad, but recon units in their current form are somewhat counterintuitive. Ground recon vehicles without autocannon are particularly bad for this.

It's the combination of high ranged firepower and durability.

I don't know of any autocannon recon vehicles that are very long ranged or damaging or durable, especially not all three.

An M3A2 dies to one Arkan once spotted.

Maglan or the M-84 Recon don't die when spotted
If there's two kinds of players, those that like challenges and those that want a fair game, pubstomps should make everyone happy.

KattiValk
General

Postby KattiValk » Wed 7 Dec 2016 23:36

Seryn wrote:
Inb4 Cav Scouts can ride in M3A2s in next patch because Historical accuracy.
If cost is unchanged or nerfed then you'd probably completely kill it as a viable unit then.

If the combo itself costed as much or less than the current M3 then it would actually be a decent unit though.

Killertomato
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Killertomato » Thu 8 Dec 2016 00:08

QUAD wrote:
M3A2

Borderline, IMO. Kinda like Kiowa Warrior.

Anyone remember the last time they saw a Kiowa Warrior?
orcbuster wrote:USSR gets prototype marsupials, why would you need moose when you got stuff with kickers like that AND transport capability? And I'm not even gonna START on the french Marsupilami, I don't even think thats a real animal! Why no trolls for Norway?

Markenzwieback
Captain

Postby Markenzwieback » Thu 8 Dec 2016 00:10

Killertomato wrote:Anyone remember the last time they saw a Kiowa Warrior?

Back in ALB?

Mako
General

Postby Mako » Thu 8 Dec 2016 00:12

Is that some kind of LAW-80 holster?
If there's two kinds of players, those that like challenges and those that want a fair game, pubstomps should make everyone happy.

Sir Typhoon
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Sir Typhoon » Thu 8 Dec 2016 02:04

Another idea: Reduce the number of squads per card, i.e 2 cards of Maglans with 3 per card (6).

ALEX8
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby ALEX8 » Thu 8 Dec 2016 03:31

They are just fine as they are. I play with and against them. They are very nice units, but you can always counter them if you are a decent player. All these nerf them arguments coming from incompetent players.

QUAD
Colonel

Postby QUAD » Thu 8 Dec 2016 07:51

ALEX8 wrote:They are just fine as they are. I play with and against them. They are very nice units, but you can always counter them if you are a decent player. All these nerf them arguments coming from incompetent players.

so if you can counter it, it cant be OP?

seems like a bad definition of OP. If infantry flamethrowers had an AP value and could nuke vehicles at close range it would be really OP, but one could easily counter it with line infantry and mortars.
Mobile Units Operational :!:

Mako
General

Postby Mako » Thu 8 Dec 2016 09:04

Sir Typhoon wrote:Another idea: Reduce the number of squads per card, i.e 2 cards of Maglans with 3 per card (6).

That would be a good change.

That's still six of them, and each one has a hell of a lot more impact than any other SF recon team.

Edit: "Literally broken" and "OP" are not synonyms.

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”