Very few units in Naval tab for Finns and Yugos?

Gopblin
Major-General

Very few units in Naval tab for Finns and Yugos?

Postby Gopblin » Wed 7 Dec 2016 22:49

Subj. Essentially the new nations have very few units in Naval tab, which is kinda sad for a number of reasons. Did Eugen just forget to add Naval capability to DLC nations, or something? I realize they were not seagoing powerhouses, but neither are a lot of other nations we have (i.e. NSWP nations), and they have way more units available in Naval tabs.

PS. Also, does anyone know what determines if a unit appears in Naval tab or not? There are a good number of units that are amphibious and available in Marine decks (e.g. German mortars), yet do not appear in Naval tab.
Nationality? - Russian.
Occupation? - No, no, just visiting.

Vodkasekoitus
Private First-Class

Re: Very few units in Naval tab for Finns and Yugos?

Postby Vodkasekoitus » Wed 7 Dec 2016 23:11

Gopblin wrote:Subj. Essentially the new nations have very few units in Naval tab, which is kinda sad for a number of reasons. Did Eugen just forget to add Naval capability to DLC nations, or something? I realize they were not seagoing powerhouses, but neither are a lot of other nations we have (i.e. NSWP nations), and they have way more units available in Naval tabs.

PS. Also, does anyone know what determines if a unit appears in Naval tab or not? There are a good number of units that are amphibious and available in Marine decks (e.g. German mortars), yet do not appear in Naval tab.

Very few units? They have none at all that don't belong universally to REDFOR. This is presumably because Eugen just dropped the idea of naval for these because it would see so little use. I don't think it's much work to put them in (For example Rannikkojääkärit in XA-180s inside landing boats) but it would be almost pointless seeing as they're seldom used. Personally I don't mind since I never play Naval except for maybe in private games where I try some sneaky beach landings, but I find them useless for gameplay otherwise.
"It always comes down to the infantryman and his rifle"

"Hey sarge, weren't we supposed to be a neutral country?"
- Brave infantryman two minutes before his demise

wargamer1985
Brigadier

Postby wargamer1985 » Wed 7 Dec 2016 23:14

Gopblin wrote:Subj. Essentially the new nations have very few units in Naval tab, which is kinda sad for a number of reasons. Did Eugen just forget to add Naval capability to DLC nations, or something? I realize they were not seagoing powerhouses, but neither are a lot of other nations we have (i.e. NSWP nations), and they have way more units available in Naval tabs.

Far as I know, no new Naval units are planned to be added, much of the community detests the mode, not to mention it takes far more time to model a naval unit. Think a dozen ground units per single ground tank or AFV.

[/quote]
Call it random luck. (probably is some reasoning behind it)
APPLY TO THE GLORIOUS CULT OF THE WARHAWK! LIBERATING NAZIS SINCE 1939!

Gopblin
Major-General

Postby Gopblin » Wed 7 Dec 2016 23:19

I meant Naval tab units, not ships or units for Naval/Marine deck per se. It's kinda sad that I can not have Finn or Yugo infantry and light tanks in LCs. Pure naval is indeed weird, but mixed maps with a naval spawn are great fun to conduct landings and such.

EDIT: Also, Yugo upgraded Strela-10 in LC would be actually useful
Nationality? - Russian.

Seryn
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby Seryn » Wed 7 Dec 2016 23:36

Gopblin wrote:I meant Naval tab units, not ships or units for Naval/Marine deck per se. It's kinda sad that I can not have Finn or Yugo infantry and light tanks in LCs. Pure naval is indeed weird, but mixed maps with a naval spawn are great fun to conduct landings and such.

EDIT: Also, Yugo upgraded Strela-10 in LC would be actually useful

First off. Maglans are in. So I doubt it is hard. Secondly. BECAUSE REDFOR BIAS. We dun need more Yugo Spam for 1 and for 2 We don't need more Sniper Rifles. My point is. Yugoslavia would spam more (which they already spam TOO MUCH) and Finland would place Sniper Rifle Tanks in wierd places.

Gopblin
Major-General

Postby Gopblin » Thu 8 Dec 2016 00:04

Just don't make meme units Naval = problem solved. Actually, "put it in Naval tab" is a good way to get players to use non-meme units occasionally.

Also, Finn sniper tanks are already too big for LCs (only T55s "fit" in LCs by default, IIRC, although you can load heavier tanks in LCs manually).
Nationality? - Russian.

HrcAk47
Colonel

Postby HrcAk47 » Thu 8 Dec 2016 01:01

Gopblin wrote:Just don't make meme units Naval = problem solved. Actually, "put it in Naval tab" is a good way to get players to use non-meme units occasionally.

Also, Finn sniper tanks are already too big for LCs (only T55s "fit" in LCs by default, IIRC, although you can load heavier tanks in LCs manually).

Likely nothing will be done regarding naval. However, Yugo landing boats (plenty of classes) were made with M47 Patton II in mind, so they can fit larger tanks as well.
The SEAD never bothered me anyway.

SMB Yugoslavia Retexture Mod, now released, v.1.0

Gopblin
Major-General

Postby Gopblin » Thu 8 Dec 2016 01:12

HrcAk47 wrote:Likely nothing will be done regarding naval. However, Yugo landing boats (plenty of classes) were made with M47 Patton II in mind, so they can fit larger tanks as well.

I'm sure the same is true of some USSR/Chinese landing boats, but in WG:RD, it seems T55 is the biggest PACT tank that fits in RED landing crafts (unless you manually load).
Nationality? - Russian.

Gopblin
Major-General

Postby Gopblin » Thu 8 Dec 2016 02:00

Actually checked - my OP was indeed wrong, DLC nations have no units in the Naval tab. Which is sad, heck even the Naval infantry, swimming tanks (PT-76Bs) and swimming supply truck aren't in the Naval tab.

OTOH, Israel has a "normal" amount of its units available to Naval
TheJewsDidThis.jpg
Nationality? - Russian.

damoj
Command Sergeant Major

Postby damoj » Thu 8 Dec 2016 08:43

Nobody with a neurotypical brain wants to retain the Naval component of WGRD, so not having the navies of DLC factions represented in anyway is fine. Eugen should just patch out Naval or rethink it to a purely riverine/amphibious component. Or not bother at all, it's fine.

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”