Making non SF chopper infantry viable

QUAD
Colonel

Making non SF chopper infantry viable

Postby QUAD » Thu 8 Dec 2016 06:16

Basically the issue with helicopter troops in the infantry tab is that outside of the thing people like to call cheese, there is very little reason to bring them if they aren't special forces. I would go as far as to say that there is literally zero reason to bring them.

The solution imo is across the board cost cuts to machinegun-only chopper transports that have less than 10 HP, while reducing availability to scale. Rocket pod transports would stay the same.

For instance cut the cost of the most basic Huey to 5 (!!) points, but reduce availability of any infantry you take in it by 50%, or possibly even more. The Blackhawk or S70 would be 15 points with a similar availability decrease. Redfor gets the short end of the stick here, but there isn't much that can be done. Overall this change would turn them into pure early game/opening cards that are good for harassment and quickly taking cities, kind of like how shock in 5 point transports are oriented towards grinding or lines in AFVs are meant to attack with tanks.

Arguments against my proposal and why they are dumb:
-it won't promote helo cheese due to there being no raining men, and non 10 HP transport choppers getting chopped like flies. The availability decrease also means that you will probably deploy over half of a card in the opening.
-it wont make good infantry units (like SF, or shock) OP because their already smaller availability will get slashed even more. The entire purpose of taking the card would be quickly taking territory in the early game while still being able to afford some ground forces.
-The cost of taking one of these hypothetical cards would be sacrificing an infantry slot for something that is pretty much only effective for early game land grabs, or reinforcing territory.
-taking ATGM or AA teams in choppers that are super cheap may be OP, but the solution to that problem is to make choppers effect their availability more than rifle squads. This has already been done with different kinds of transports and units.
Mobile Units Operational :!:

Fade2Gray
General

Re: Making non SF chopper infantry viable

Postby Fade2Gray » Thu 8 Dec 2016 07:40

Honestly they just need a "recall" option for transports. Send them back to spawn, "recall" them, and get the points back. Cheaper transports would just make for cheap missile sponges for gunships and helo rushing goodness.
Think you have what it takes to enlist into the military? You sure about that?

Killertomato
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Killertomato » Thu 8 Dec 2016 07:47

Fade2Gray wrote:Honestly they just need a "recall" option for transports. Send them back to spawn, "recall" them, and get the points back.

This and the ability for the cheap birds to land in less than a year.
orcbuster wrote:USSR gets prototype marsupials, why would you need moose when you got stuff with kickers like that AND transport capability? And I'm not even gonna START on the french Marsupilami, I don't even think thats a real animal! Why no trolls for Norway?

QUAD
Colonel

Postby QUAD » Thu 8 Dec 2016 07:49

Fade2Gray wrote:Honestly they just need a "recall" option for transports. Send them back to spawn, "recall" them, and get the points back. Cheaper transports would just make for cheap missile sponges for gunships and helo rushing goodness.

this would be really sick for WG4. If they acted as logistics vehicles somehow it might dissuade people from retard spam as well.
Mobile Units Operational :!:

KattiValk
General

Postby KattiValk » Thu 8 Dec 2016 08:01

Helos suffer from some ingrained fear of all pilots in-game of NOE flying. In fact, Wargame pilots are so bad at their jobs that they will literally refuse to land on designated helipads.

As transport taxi helos stand currently, they are far too weak to be of value in later use in a non-cheese way besides flank guard, yet far too strong as AA missile bait for cheap to make helo rushes all that more tactical and outplay filled. As it is basically guaranteed (hell will freeze over first) that helicopters aren't getting meaningful AI updates for RD, I would support buffing costs. Not sure about 5 pts, but 10 pt Hueys are fine all things considered, 15/20 pt Blackhawks too.

Illusive
Master Sergeant

Postby Illusive » Thu 8 Dec 2016 08:35

I regularly take and see other people take ATGM or FIST squads in the higher end rocket pod helos (Mi-17, Lynx AH.7, Panther), it's hard to overstate the value of helos as firesupport platforms after they've unloaded. Sometimes with Eastern Block I'll even take a card of upvetted Lehka Pekhota in Mi-17s for an opening land grab every once in a while just because I love how much synergy the two units have.
Typical Forum Expert wrote:Just because I only play destruction doesn't mean my opinion is worthless!
Typical Forum Expert wrote:10v10 is the purest gamemode, 1v1s are clown games that fail to prove someone's true skill level.

Mako
General

Postby Mako » Thu 8 Dec 2016 09:08

Fade2Gray wrote:Honestly they just need a "recall" option for transports. Send them back to spawn, "recall" them, and get the points back. Cheaper transports would just make for cheap missile sponges for gunships and helo rushing goodness.

This is such a good idea I'm kind of in shock.

Tangent:
Have it work for logistics too? (you have to buy the vehicle again) What would the implications of that be? :o
If there's two kinds of players, those that like challenges and those that want a fair game, pubstomps should make everyone happy.

Fade2Gray
General

Postby Fade2Gray » Thu 8 Dec 2016 10:01

Mako wrote:

This is such a good idea I'm kind of in shock.

Tangent:
Have it work for logistics too? (you have to buy the vehicle again) What would the implications of that be? :o

I said points, not the avail as well.

damoj
Command Sergeant Major

Postby damoj » Thu 8 Dec 2016 10:11

Absolutely everybody with half a brain has thought of this idea and the fact that we probably won't get it really blows.

le blus uno :--D

Fade2Gray
General

Postby Fade2Gray » Thu 8 Dec 2016 10:19

damoj wrote:

Absolutely everybody with half a brain has thought of this idea and the fact that we probably won't get it really blows.

le blus uno :--D

It certainly has been suggested many times before.

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”