USA and USSR the superpowers... or not?

Markenzwieback
Captain

Re: USA and USSR the superpowers... or not?

Postby Markenzwieback » Sun 11 Dec 2016 12:14

Desty wrote:
Alphario wrote:As for US, they are in a coalition. They will never be one of the strongest standalone nations because of this. Canada just has too much nice stuff to add to the mix.

I wouldn't call ADATS, Mexas, Canadian Rifles with TH495 too much nice stuff :lol:
Maybe count the Canadian Airbone too...

Better (aka cheaper and faster) TOW-2 jeeps
Highlanders '90 (they can actually be pretty neat for tank hunting)
Base Leopard C2
130 point Hornet ASF with lolwut turn radius and AIM-9Ms to the max.
Actually decent cluster bomber (again, hornet)
Pretty good rocket plane (F-104)
Very cheap rocket pod helicopter

There actually is quite a bit that Canada adds to the US... :)

urogard
Brigadier

Postby urogard » Sun 11 Dec 2016 12:43

They are not even average
USSR is still decent on account of having literally everything you'd ever need making for a well all round deck, but not exceptional in any place. Which is a problem because chances are, no matter where you go, someone will go against you who picked the thing that is exceptional in the area that will matter most.

USA is just meh, underwhelming air force, limited tank options, mediocre infantry (with terrible RPG options to boot), crap AA options (except patriot). Basically you pick USA to get access to ATACMS, Longbow and Patriot. That's literally it.

GunTotingDoofus
Sergeant

Postby GunTotingDoofus » Sun 11 Dec 2016 13:04

GuerreroDelAlba wrote:
GunTotingDoofus wrote:It is a game. USA/USSR and coalitions are supposed to be in balance.
Its made for all players not just USA/USSR fanboys.

Edit. sorry still sore from getting my arse kicked in last game.

But they're not in balance, u can't call israel being better than us a balance.

It is of course a matter of opinion but imo. israel is not as good as USA and certainly not as good as USSR.
Israel has maglans,couple of AGL armed tanks and some atgm missiles but thats about it for standout units.
USA has its own toys, i.e. Patriot/atcams/longbow and the only ifvs that can actually hit something with their missiles.
USSR beats israel like a rented mule :lol: (thanks to killertomato for the joke)

I´m not saying USA could not use some love. Mostly making marine decks viable now that naval game has been rightfully cast aside.
Still, its better than israel, just not as shiny and new.

GuerreroDelAlba
Sergeant First-Class

Postby GuerreroDelAlba » Sun 11 Dec 2016 13:39

GunTotingDoofus wrote:
GuerreroDelAlba wrote:
GunTotingDoofus wrote:It is a game. USA/USSR and coalitions are supposed to be in balance.
Its made for all players not just USA/USSR fanboys.

Edit. sorry still sore from getting my arse kicked in last game.

But they're not in balance, u can't call israel being better than us a balance.

It is of course a matter of opinion but imo. israel is not as good as USA and certainly not as good as USSR.
Israel has maglans,couple of AGL armed tanks and some atgm missiles but thats about it for standout units.
USA has its own toys, i.e. Patriot/atcams/longbow and the only ifvs that can actually hit something with their missiles.
USSR beats israel like a rented mule :lol: (thanks to killertomato for the joke)

I´m not saying USA could not use some love. Mostly making marine decks viable now that naval game has been rightfully cast aside.

the problem is, Patriot/atacams/longbow are very situational. useful only in large games.

GunTotingDoofus
Sergeant

Postby GunTotingDoofus » Sun 11 Dec 2016 13:53

GuerreroDelAlba wrote:

the problem is, Patriot/atacams/longbow are very situational. useful only in large games.[/quote]

I dont really play smaller than 4vs4 if given a choice and i dont like those stingy "tactical" games where you wait for five minutes to afford two inf squads in ifv´s, so cant speak about them. But in 4vs4+ games with even medium income patriots and longbows are a common sight.
Atcams, it is true, is mostly seen in larger games.

Razzmann
General

Postby Razzmann » Sun 11 Dec 2016 13:57

GuerreroDelAlba wrote:the problem is, Patriot/atacams/longbow are very situational. useful only in large games.

Is 2v2 already a large game for you?

kish
Sergeant

Postby kish » Sun 11 Dec 2016 14:26

GuerreroDelAlba wrote:Am i the only have hating how the nations that are supossed to be the strongest, are in fact pretty average? Specially with the new nation dlc trend (made overpowered on purpose so people buy them), i would like to read your opinions.

I believe it's mostly a tactical vs strategic problem. The USA is extremely powerful mostly due to it having huge economic muscles, vast resources and a 300+ mil population. It doesn't yet have robo-troops and flying tanks. my point being who's to say that the USA and russia should have extraordinary tactical power?

Consider WW2. The USA was lagging in tech behind the germans, the soviets were un the stone age but still they won, strategically.

Why should coldwar times change this concept?

Another way of thinking about it is thinking about the Olympic games or international soccer.
Despite being huge federations both countries take only some (not all of the 1st places).

I can't think of a fair way to represent their strategic weight into a tactical world (except giving them more points ingame) and frankly i think it would be unfair.

HaryPL
Lieutenant

Postby HaryPL » Sun 11 Dec 2016 14:29

Their limited availability means 2vs2 are the last place where they can matter; anything forward and there's just so many, both in number and options, ultra-counters and targets that they are true unicorns that can encourage people (fans) to pick this particular deck to have some fun with that particular unit but in grander scale of deck/game viability are almost non-essential; especially if there are vast deck-gaps of more mainstay units.

GARGEAN
Brigadier

Postby GARGEAN » Sun 11 Dec 2016 14:44

kish wrote:Consider WW2. the soviets were un the stone age

Lol 10 times.

Desty
Warrant Officer

Postby Desty » Sun 11 Dec 2016 14:46

kish wrote:Consider WW2. The USA was lagging in tech behind the germans, the soviets were un the stone age but still they won, strategically.
Why should coldwar times change this concept?

you have no idea about the cold war outside of this game right? :lol:

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”