SK-60B: Can it be saved?

Seryn
Sergeant Major of the Army

SK-60B: Can it be saved?

Postby Seryn » Wed 14 Dec 2016 20:00

The Unit:

This thing is really really saddening for me, If you play a Swedish National Deck, Particularly Airborne, it is your only real form of Multirole (Engages Multiple Ground varients) CAS (The Kamikaze Draken not counting due to a lack of ammunition load, Scandi coalition has Super Sabre which is hilarious, but that is a Denmark unit.) and is the only actual "AGM" in the game.

Why is it so Bad?
Problem 1:
It never hits. Based strictly on HE Damage multiplied by quantity (not factoring in anything) it has 50% the firepower of a Nighthawk, Fair enough you get 3 Upvetted in a National deck, but with the average hit rate of it you actually only get 1/4th of the Firepower per Attack Run as the 1st WILL miss, which is vaguely Upsetting. It also lacks a GUN. which could stun the target. Now I never CHECKED if it had one irl(nvm I checked, it could mount a pod with either 7.62mm or 30mm on its 6 [!] hardpoints) but still a sour point for a CAS Plane, as it would be guarenteed range.
Problem 2:
Speed + TOT equals it has a poor range of coverage.
Problem 3: CAS Plane, Needs to get close, NO ECM.

Solutions: Add ToT up to around 120 seconds. Doubling its net of coverage and add 10% ECM, will not do much to save it, but will spare the plane possibly.

Solutions Part 2: Increase Accuracy of the AGM and increase ToT to 105, slightly more practical, and enables it to well, not suck, while still sucking.

Solutions Part 3: Rename to SK-60W, Increase Missile Accuracy by 10%, Increase flight altitude (Trainer Aircraft), ToT 150 (upgraded engine) Intro Date '96 (I saw a '96 unit somewhere so it isn't OOTF, also K1A1), Speed to 900 km/h (could hit 970 km/h above sea level irl) and adding a 30mm Gun pod.

I am aware the K1A1 is an exception and not a standard, but Scandinavia in General lacks a solid long range CAS Plane, And Sweden is lazily sitting around with an abyssmal one that became pretty darn nice within the Wargame timeline.

I accept this is a pipe dream and everyone can debate it.

Side Note Edit: I tried attacking ground with it and the missile went off to the moon, Eugen how even? :shock:

FrangibleCover
Lieutenant

Re: SK-60B: Can it be saved?

Postby FrangibleCover » Wed 14 Dec 2016 20:20

So what's the justification for these stat changes? You can't just go around handing out ECM and ToT willy-nilly, you have to provide some evidence.

Someone said something recently about increasing its HE because the missile was remarkably heavy, that would help. Also because it was only ever tested with the Rb 05 it should really be a prototype so it could be turned into an SK-60W without too much of an issue. If this happens maybe it would be best to clone it and have an SK-60B with whatever cruddy dumb bombs can be scraped up just so that Sweden has some HE delivery in Category-limited games.
What if Wargame stuck to timeframe?

GARGEAN
Brigadier

Postby GARGEAN » Wed 14 Dec 2016 20:26

Lol'd at "it's 970km/h so it should be 900km/h ingame!"
Never knew that my Su-27S and MiG-29 was so slowasses.

Xeno426
Carbon 13

Postby Xeno426 » Wed 14 Dec 2016 21:17

Seryn wrote: and is the only actual "AGM" in the game.

False. AGM means Air to Ground Missile, so any missile designed to attack units on the ground is an AGM. The term "ATGM" stands for "Anti-Tank Guided Missile", which does not have to be air-launched. The Maverick is only fired from aircraft; the TOW may be ground-launched.

AGM and ATGM share overlap in a ven diagram, but they are neither the same thing nor mutually exclusive, though pure AGM systems are not referred to as "ATGM" to avoid confusion with that term.

Besides, what of the AGM-12, Kh-66, Kh-23 or Kh-29?

Also, lol at improved loiter and ECM. It had zero countermeasure systems, including RWR. It gets o ECM. It also has far less fuel than many other aircraft; it can't really get more, and certainly not values like 120s.
CloakandDagger wrote:And you're one of the people with the shiny colored name. No wonder the game is in the state it's in.

RedFive
Warrant Officer

Postby RedFive » Wed 14 Dec 2016 21:29

I agree it's of limited utility now. I'd propose a simple fix to make it more usable: Make it use the LGB mechanics for its missiles again. LGBs aren't 100% accuracy anymore, so this would make the missiles more useful without being OP.

Seryn

Postby Seryn » Wed 14 Dec 2016 22:39

Xeno426 wrote:
Seryn wrote: and is the only actual "AGM" in the game.

False. AGM means Air to Ground Missile, so any missile designed to attack units on the ground is an AGM. The term "ATGM" stands for "Anti-Tank Guided Missile", which does not have to be air-launched. The Maverick is only fired from aircraft; the TOW may be ground-launched.

AGM and ATGM share overlap in a ven diagram, but they are neither the same thing nor mutually exclusive, though pure AGM systems are not referred to as "ATGM" to avoid confusion with that term.

Besides, what of the AGM-12, Kh-66, Kh-23 or Kh-29?

Also, lol at improved loiter and ECM. It had zero countermeasure systems, including RWR. It gets o ECM. It also has far less fuel than many other aircraft; it can't really get more, and certainly not values like 120s.

Never checked AGM-12, KH-66, -23 or -29.
Regarding 0 ECM, That much I do understand, and why I recommended -60W. As more modern radar equipments are designed not be detected on return signals. And -60W iirc was a trainer for the Gripen so.......

smyljr
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby smyljr » Wed 14 Dec 2016 23:51

can we instead add 4 30mm gunpods?

it MIGHT get a slot instead of the rocket draken then.

probably not...
:mid-match connecting(matchmaking), LoS bubble(Ruse), interchangeable loadouts, moving in formations different ranges for altitudes, 1$ price increments, tank/copter ecm, 5/6 weapon slots, and 10 player deathmatch nukemode

Seryn

Postby Seryn » Wed 14 Dec 2016 23:58

smyljr wrote:can we instead add 4 30mm gunpods?

probably not...

Twin Gunpods, AGMs, and Aim-9Ls in a perfect world :)

FrangibleCover
Lieutenant

Postby FrangibleCover » Thu 15 Dec 2016 01:17

Seryn wrote:
smyljr wrote:can we instead add 4 30mm gunpods?

probably not...

Twin Gunpods, AGMs, and Aim-9Ls in a perfect world :)

Won't that just drive up the price without making it any better? The dive angle from the gunpods might be an improvement but the AIM-9s will just impose a 10 point tax in return for being yet another crap helicopter sniper like the other three Sweden alone already has.
What if Wargame stuck to timeframe?

Fodder
Sergeant Major

Postby Fodder » Thu 15 Dec 2016 10:20

Plz find a way to save it plz.
And save the F 35 Draken too.

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”