Why does Finland have the F/A-18 again?

User avatar
General Mig
Sergeant Major
Posts: 262
Joined: Fri 12 Jun 2015 12:20
Location: In the shadows
Contact:

Why does Finland have the F/A-18 again?

Postby General Mig » Thu 22 Dec 2016 22:48

I don't get why finland a warsaw pact nation have the F/A-18 a westen fighter aircraft. can someone explane to this to me?

User avatar
Demonicjapsel
Chief Warrant Officer
Posts: 680
Joined: Sat 26 Jul 2014 20:58
Location: Triggering HRCK and his warcrime denying Yugoboos

Re: Why does Finland have the F/A-18 again?

Postby Demonicjapsel » Thu 22 Dec 2016 22:51

because the US actively marketed the F-18 and F-16 to the Finns along with the AIM-120.

codextero
Lieutenant Colonel
Posts: 2334
Joined: Sat 13 Dec 2014 02:52
Contact:

Re: Why does Finland have the F/A-18 again?

Postby codextero » Thu 22 Dec 2016 23:40

Demonicjapsel wrote:because the US actively marketed the F-18 and F-16 to the Finns along with the AIM-120.


In the Wargame verse, they did that, then forgot to put the AMRAAM on their own planes.

User avatar
General Mig
Sergeant Major
Posts: 262
Joined: Fri 12 Jun 2015 12:20
Location: In the shadows
Contact:

Re: Why does Finland have the F/A-18 again?

Postby General Mig » Thu 22 Dec 2016 23:56

well thanks for answering my question lads

User avatar
HrcAk47
Colonel
Posts: 2788
Joined: Sat 3 May 2014 18:00
Contact:

Re: Why does Finland have the F/A-18 again?

Postby HrcAk47 » Thu 22 Dec 2016 23:57

General Mig wrote:I don't get why finland a warsaw pact nation have the F/A-18 a westen fighter aircraft. can someone explane to this to me?


Finland isn't a WP nation.
The SEAD never bothered me anyway.

SMB Yugoslavia Retexture Mod, now released, v.1.0

User avatar
Killertomato
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!
Posts: 13730
Joined: Mon 9 Jul 2012 02:46
Contact:

Re: Why does Finland have the F/A-18 again?

Postby Killertomato » Fri 23 Dec 2016 00:44

The US speeds deliveries to nations hostile to it at the cost of nelglecting its own forces.

Duh
orcbuster wrote:USSR gets prototype marsupials, why would you need moose when you got stuff with kickers like that AND transport capability? And I'm not even gonna START on the french Marsupilami, I don't even think thats a real animal! Why no trolls for Norway?

User avatar
Demonicjapsel
Chief Warrant Officer
Posts: 680
Joined: Sat 26 Jul 2014 20:58
Location: Triggering HRCK and his warcrime denying Yugoboos

Re: Why does Finland have the F/A-18 again?

Postby Demonicjapsel » Fri 23 Dec 2016 00:46

codextero wrote:
Demonicjapsel wrote:because the US actively marketed the F-18 and F-16 to the Finns along with the AIM-120.


In the Wargame verse, they did that, then forgot to put the AMRAAM on their own planes.


I do feel obligated to point out that the F/A-18 in the cold war was principally used as a strike aircraft, since the F-14 was the predominant air superiority fighter.

(that being said, they should add a D with the AIM-54C Closed circuit)

User avatar
Bougnas
Major-General
Posts: 3699
Joined: Sat 26 Apr 2014 18:24
Contact:

Re: Why does Finland have the F/A-18 again?

Postby Bougnas » Fri 23 Dec 2016 00:50

Killertomato wrote:The US speeds deliveries to nations hostile to it at the cost of nelglecting its own forces.

Duh


Did you know that for the European NH 90 helicopter the spare parts were cheaper and delivered quicker to Australia than to France that is one of it's main custommers and producers :lol: .
Image

User avatar
wargamer1985
Brigadier
Posts: 3305
Joined: Sat 4 May 2013 00:36
Contact:

Re: Why does Finland have the F/A-18 again?

Postby wargamer1985 » Fri 23 Dec 2016 00:53

Demonicjapsel wrote:
codextero wrote:
Demonicjapsel wrote:because the US actively marketed the F-18 and F-16 to the Finns along with the AIM-120.


In the Wargame verse, they did that, then forgot to put the AMRAAM on their own planes.


I do feel obligated to point out that the F/A-18 in the cold war was principally used as a strike aircraft, since the F-14 was the predominant air superiority fighter.

(that being said, they should add a D with the AIM-54C Closed circuit)

It was always understood that the F/A-18 would actually tackle the more general air superiority roles, thanks to its superior agility and initial AMRAAM capacity. The F-14 was more suited to the equally important interception role, not to mention it also acted as a convenient "scout" of sorts for the rest of naval aviation thanks to its more powerful radar array.
APPLY TO THE GLORIOUS CULT OF THE WARHAWK! LIBERATING NAZIS SINCE 1939!
Image

User avatar
another505
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!
Posts: 13128
Joined: Sun 21 Jul 2013 05:18
Location: Hiatus
Contact:

Re: Why does Finland have the F/A-18 again?

Postby another505 » Fri 23 Dec 2016 01:31

You see, USA was at the verge of bankruptcy, and sold F-18 to any potential customer. With USSR funding, Finland purchased a few dozens of them with AMRAAM.


jk


there is a good reason, go to the finland thread
Image
Of Salt

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests