ROUT!

rednotdead
Corporal

ROUT!

Postby rednotdead » Mon 26 Dec 2016 08:34

I can only remember seeing a unit rout once while playing a normal RD game (it may have been a helo coming under enormous amounts of small arms fire). Recall that in EE it was quite common for units to lose their minds after being subjected to massive moral damage. Personally, while I understand the bugs in the system being annoying (units fleeing into enemy lines, or becoming routed after driving near fire or even just randomly after an engagement) I enjoyed being reminded that my army was composed not of fearless automatons, but men who could eventually "just say no". When rout is functionally eliminated, this immersion is lost and the game becomes more gamey.

Was the old route mechanic really that bad?

Fade2Gray
General

Re: ROUT!

Postby Fade2Gray » Mon 26 Dec 2016 08:46

Yes it was.

Imagine your M1A2 routing by exposing its rear and then reversing towards the enemy, or some other such nonsense. Imagine such shenanigans being a regular thing. Now just imagine how much people loved it.
Think you have what it takes to enlist into the military? You sure about that?

FOARP
Sergeant

Postby FOARP » Mon 26 Dec 2016 09:15

You see it a bit more in the SP campaigns where you are more likely to try to fight heavy armour with napalm, or heavy tanks with light AT weapons. I can't say it adds much to the game - we already have the suppression system to model morale effects.

Killertomato
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Killertomato » Mon 26 Dec 2016 10:49

The routing units in EE were about as fun to play with as a rusty icepick to the nutsack.

Can you just imagine- one cluster MLRS strike and half your entire force drives uncontrollably into the open, ass-first.

Dear god no.
orcbuster wrote:USSR gets prototype marsupials, why would you need moose when you got stuff with kickers like that AND transport capability? And I'm not even gonna START on the french Marsupilami, I don't even think thats a real animal! Why no trolls for Norway?

M4jor
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby M4jor » Mon 26 Dec 2016 12:16

Fade2Gray wrote:Yes it was.

Imagine your M1A2 routing by exposing its rear and then reversing towards the enemy, or some other such nonsense. Imagine such shenanigans being a regular thing. Now just imagine how much people loved it.

Funboy... Seems you dont use tanks very often :D

Tanks are already doing this all the time without even routing.
The only way to move ur tank savely is, keeping it 200 m away from any forest, slope, bushfire, other units, wrecks, buildings or changes are very good they will move in the most unexpected ways possible, trying hard to expose their side armor to the enemy or move sideways without beeing ordered.

Also, do not use groups on tanks, it will also lead to them moving in the funniest ways.

Waypoint system is so bad, it would be easier to remove side and rear armor on tanks then to fix the waypoints I guess :D

Fade2Gray
General

Postby Fade2Gray » Mon 26 Dec 2016 12:47

M4jor wrote:Tanks are already doing this all the time without even routing.

Sounds like you have a serious l2p issue.

M4jor

Postby M4jor » Mon 26 Dec 2016 13:00

Fade2Gray wrote:
M4jor wrote:Tanks are already doing this all the time without even routing.

Sounds like you have a serious l2p issue.

The usual meaningless oneliner :-)
Keep with ur town fighting and planes, its ok as long as you stick with 1vs1 clown games.

@Topic:
I ve seen 2 units routing in Red Dragon in Total. Both were helos.

Honestly, I think a feature like this would be good, if it would be well implemented.

Allowing infantry to route and at the same time increase their routing speed would maybe increase their surviveability.
Also, mechanisms like a 5 pt transport moving alone towards the enemy should lead to morale damage and possibly routing. Recon units should do this job.
But I am daydreaming of a more complex gameplay here, sorry.

Fade2Gray
General

Postby Fade2Gray » Mon 26 Dec 2016 13:06

:evil:
Last edited by [EUG]MadMat on Tue 27 Dec 2016 10:23, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Useless

M4jor

Postby M4jor » Mon 26 Dec 2016 13:14

:evil:
Last edited by [EUG]MadMat on Tue 27 Dec 2016 10:23, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Useless

FOARP
Sergeant

Postby FOARP » Mon 26 Dec 2016 13:53

Does this "feature" really add anything to the game that isn't covered by the suppression mechanic?

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”