ROUT!

User avatar
Fade2Gray
General
Posts: 8659
Joined: Wed 1 May 2013 23:30
Location: IED proof in Iraq
Contact:

Re: ROUT!

Postby Fade2Gray » Mon 26 Dec 2016 14:32

FOARP wrote:Does this "feature" really add anything to the game that isn't covered by the suppression mechanic?


No, it was a universally bad mechanic that was axed after EE.

M4jor wrote:I never had a problem with routing units ever, not in W:EE, not W:ALB.


Not in ALB, eh? Pro-tip, no one had an issue with rout after EE.

Such statements make you sound a lot like MILINT.
Image
Image
Think you have what it takes to enlist into the military? You sure about that?

M4jor
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 390
Joined: Mon 13 Jun 2016 12:59
Contact:

Re: ROUT!

Postby M4jor » Mon 26 Dec 2016 15:56

Fade2Gray wrote:No, it was a universally bad mechanic that was axed after EE.


Too bad, because there are still way worse mechanics in the game that are in need of the axe.

M4jor wrote:I never had a problem with routing units ever, not in W:EE, not W:ALB.


Let me translate my sentence into troll-language:
I never ever had problems or issues with "route" before.

Seryn
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 360
Joined: Mon 5 Dec 2016 06:00
Contact:

Re: ROUT!

Postby Seryn » Mon 26 Dec 2016 18:21

I had 4 units ever rout, a Bradley, a T-90, Fusiliers 90, and a Grenade Launcher Littlebird.

Bradley reversed back to my lines.

T-90 reversed towards a beach, where there was a Kongou and Hatsuyuki.

Burd started doing more spins than i could count and didn't really do anything.

Fusiliers 90 were routed by a friendly CEV shot to the face while under fire from Spetsnaz so....

R3d Sh4mbala
Sergeant Major
Posts: 291
Joined: Thu 12 May 2016 06:17
Contact:

Re: ROUT!

Postby R3d Sh4mbala » Mon 26 Dec 2016 18:32

Fade2Gray wrote:
FOARP wrote:Does this "feature" really add anything to the game that isn't covered by the suppression mechanic?


No, it was a universally bad mechanic that was axed after EE.

M4jor wrote:I never had a problem with routing units ever, not in W:EE, not W:ALB.


Not in ALB, eh? Pro-tip, no one had an issue with rout after EE.

Such statements make you sound a lot like MILINT.

A little unfair to throw a MILINT on this.

But Fade2Grey, every time I played in EE and ALB routing is actually fairly low in comparison. Actually it would be good to help stop some of the "point-click" mass attacks that RD is known for. It also should be re-implimented so players can stop this tree line camping.

Because as I have noticed that the Cat A units with high HP and AV tend to nearly never morale crack. Add on the veterancy bonuses of RD and trying to force that M1A2 camper cancer off his defensive point. And its a really tough job.

But if the Routing and Morale damage of EE/ALB were implemented in RD, it would be another way of balancing out the units. That M1A2 might have higher stats, but if you do enough morale damage with CAT C or B, you can force it to move away. [Which right now in RD, such CAT A units are nearly immovable objects minus airstrikes and cluster rocket barrages, or a similar CAT A unicorn.]

The Routing mechanic in EE and ALB is also balanced by the veterancy system. [Higher veterancy = very low Routing chance, also was a way to balance the "Reserve" units aka SPAM, usually these were lower vet anyways.]

To Be Honest, who would be in their right mind after taking a Grad Barrage? [The term Shellshock does apply.]

User avatar
D-M
Posts: 8794
Joined: Sat 23 Jul 2011 11:10
Contact:

Re: ROUT!

Postby D-M » Mon 26 Dec 2016 18:48

rednotdead wrote:Was the old route mechanic really that bad?


Route is among the defining features of WEE and I truly regret eugen scrapped those in favor of a more fast-paced micro-based game that took a fcking long time before not being full of bullshit like mass shitplane, reserve infantry slums and CV sniping.
Image

User avatar
McNash
Lieutenant
Posts: 1216
Joined: Sun 15 Apr 2012 18:06
Contact:

Re: ROUT!

Postby McNash » Mon 26 Dec 2016 18:54

There isn't much ROUT! anymore because by the third iteration of the franchise most units already have steel nerves, even the militia unit won't rout :mrgreen:
Image

FOARP
Sergeant
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed 21 Sep 2016 18:38
Contact:

Re: ROUT!

Postby FOARP » Mon 26 Dec 2016 18:58

R3d Sh4mbala wrote:
Fade2Gray wrote:
FOARP wrote:Does this "feature" really add anything to the game that isn't covered by the suppression mechanic?


No, it was a universally bad mechanic that was axed after EE.

M4jor wrote:I never had a problem with routing units ever, not in W:EE, not W:ALB.


Not in ALB, eh? Pro-tip, no one had an issue with rout after EE.

Such statements make you sound a lot like MILINT.

A little unfair to throw a MILINT on this.

But Fade2Grey, every time I played in EE and ALB routing is actually fairly low in comparison. Actually it would be good to help stop some of the "point-click" mass attacks that RD is known for. It also should be re-implimented so players can stop this tree line camping.

Because as I have noticed that the Cat A units with high HP and AV tend to nearly never morale crack. Add on the veterancy bonuses of RD and trying to force that M1A2 camper cancer off his defensive point. And its a really tough job.

But if the Routing and Morale damage of EE/ALB were implemented in RD, it would be another way of balancing out the units. That M1A2 might have higher stats, but if you do enough morale damage with CAT C or B, you can force it to move away. [Which right now in RD, such CAT A units are nearly immovable objects minus airstrikes and cluster rocket barrages, or a similar CAT A unicorn.]

The Routing mechanic in EE and ALB is also balanced by the veterancy system. [Higher veterancy = very low Routing chance, also was a way to balance the "Reserve" units aka SPAM, usually these were lower vet anyways.]

To Be Honest, who would be in their right mind after taking a Grad Barrage? [The term Shellshock does apply.]


Yeah, but right now that effect is already modelled by the accuracy loss etc. you get from suppression. About the only place I miss this effect is when units are hit by napalm - they should try to get the hell out of it rather than stay and be cooked.

And let's look at real life: sure, there's plenty of times when units just break and run whilst under attack, but they don't do this when actually under artillery fire or air attack because that would be suicide.

User avatar
Xeno426
Carbon 13
Posts: 11965
Joined: Tue 13 Mar 2012 21:27
Location: Acheron, Hadley's Hope
Contact:

Re: ROUT!

Postby Xeno426 » Mon 26 Dec 2016 20:57

M4jor wrote:Thx, that sums up how the conquest community behaves towards anybody else in this board. I will use this as citation, may I?

Well, that's because people that mainly play 10v10 destruction are just not very good players...
Image
CloakandDagger wrote:And you're one of the people with the shiny colored name. No wonder the game is in the state it's in.

User avatar
Shrike
Lieutenant General
Posts: 4515
Joined: Sun 22 Sep 2013 04:30
Location: Central California, US
Contact:

Re: ROUT!

Postby Shrike » Mon 26 Dec 2016 21:16

Conquest players? But I play siege and economy.

User avatar
Fade2Gray
General
Posts: 8659
Joined: Wed 1 May 2013 23:30
Location: IED proof in Iraq
Contact:

Re: ROUT!

Postby Fade2Gray » Mon 26 Dec 2016 21:26

M4jor wrote:
Fade2Gray wrote:No, it was a universally bad mechanic that was axed after EE.


Too bad, because there are still way worse mechanics in the game that are in need of the axe.


Too bad, rout has already been axed into nothing. If you had played the game as much as you claim you have, you would know this. Instead...

M4jor wrote:Let me translate my sentence into troll-language:


here you are trying to pick a fight out of the blue over absolutely nothing. Rout has been nerfed into nothing, deal with it? By all means though, continue to translate your own words for yourself if you wish.

Shrike wrote:Conquest players? But I play siege and economy.


Press F to pay respects for siege.
Image
Image
Think you have what it takes to enlist into the military? You sure about that?

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 34 guests