ROUT!

Fade2Gray
General

Re: ROUT!

Postby Fade2Gray » Tue 27 Dec 2016 06:13

Probably the biggest thing that impacts the moral of a unit is its chain of command. Whether or not you have good squad leaders in place, plus intact leadership above it, easily makes or breaks a unit when things start going sideways. You want to get nitty-gritty on moral? You need to go (damn I'm starting to sound tired on this) full Combat Mission. That game, if you go full Iron Man (which I love), you can have your units that are cut off from the chain of command and badly mauled, freak out and cause blue on blue casualties.

Do we really want to go hyper realistic on moral? Because this game is nowhere close to being that realistic. There is no simulation of chains of command, at all, only pure Borg Command.
Last edited by Fade2Gray on Tue 27 Dec 2016 06:36, edited 1 time in total.
Think you have what it takes to enlist into the military? You sure about that?

orcbuster
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby orcbuster » Tue 27 Dec 2016 06:17

To make wargame realistic in that regard we'd have to go into the nightmare that is signals units and frankly I do not want that.
Viker for ingen!

Fade2Gray
General

Postby Fade2Gray » Tue 27 Dec 2016 06:21

orcbuster wrote:To make wargame realistic in that regard we'd have to go into the nightmare that is signals units and frankly I do not want that.

Not just that, instead of calling in units singlely, probably would have to do call in by platoon. Have one unit per platoon set of platoon sergeant, and so in. It would require a serious rework.
Think you have what it takes to enlist into the military? You sure about that?

Nerdfish
Major

Postby Nerdfish » Tue 27 Dec 2016 09:55

orcbuster wrote:To make wargame realistic in that regard we'd have to go into the nightmare that is signals units and frankly I do not want that.

I for one don't mind full simulation of the chain of command. sniping the enemy regimental commander with a recce is one way to cause massive confusion. :lol: Hitting the enemy division HQ with an ATACM is a hilarious way to paralyze the entire enemy army until they fix it.

M4jor
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby M4jor » Tue 27 Dec 2016 12:12

Maybe remove stun then, too?
And remove criticals?
Or at least adjust the time value of critials to the new game pace and also reduce the stun time?
At least armored vehicles and tanks should be stunned for a much shorter period of time.

Also, supply vehicles should be able to remove criticals or reduce their staying time further.

Infantry beeing slowed down is the same "feature" as routed. Its only annoying. I can snipe any infantry over the map with arty if its shaken. And doesent everybody always complain about arty sniping? There is one way to solve it.

Btw, because someone wrote it:
All units try to automatically move out of flames. That feature should also be removed.
Also because woodfires are often not effecting unit movement but sometimes do.
If a tank in a forestedge is not hit by the bullet but the forest next to the tank is catching fire, the tank has a good chance of moving sideways and away from the fire.
If we have no route, random movement like this shouldnt be in the game either.
As long as I am in control of a unit, I should be the one to bring it out of the bushfire, not the most retarded unit AI since wargames are made.

kiheerSEDMAN wrote:
M4jor wrote:Thx, that sums up how the conquest community behaves towards anybody else in this board. I will use this as citation, may I?
Doesn't this better exemplify how the extreme end of "destruction only" players tend to like blaming things on the "conquest community"?

No. The other way round only. Just read the forums :D

nuke92
Lieutenant

Postby nuke92 » Tue 27 Dec 2016 12:33

Would be a nice mechanic to have units Rout! after they say "this is not my war".
Spoiler : :
/s
Stunned!, morale and random "screw you"s are enough realism.
"Spike MR is more accurate I'll give you that but Konkurs has more range and isn't prototype" - Warchat™ July 2017
"ALB added planes, RD added ships, WG4 will add Ekranoplans" - Warchat™ August 2017

KattiValk
General

Postby KattiValk » Tue 27 Dec 2016 17:52

M4jor wrote:No. The other way round only. Just read the forums :D
Then you must clearly be a Conquest player if only Conquest players are toxic to the other party.

People don't bring up game mode in discussions often times because it doesn't matter to most discussions. Posts that may belittle Destruction are mostly just off hand comments about people that still seem to act as if even the devs haven't already decided Conquest is the better game mode to balance the game through. Every now and then though, there's a wildly out of the blue comment blatantly calling out Conquest players for being "entitled" or something along those lines that is almost entirely ad hominem and doesn't add anything to the discussion.

Narcissistic 2036
Sergeant

Postby Narcissistic 2036 » Tue 27 Dec 2016 19:08

Stunned helicopters should be changed though. Let them fly off in a random direction, trying desperately to shake off the AA fire, rather than the current effect where the pilot's leg suddenly becomes extremely heavy when he panics. Frankly all of helicopter movement could use an overhaul but making helicopters only ever rout and other units only ever become stunned would do for now.

I love the sound of helicopter pilots just FLYING AS FAST AS THEY CAN AWAY FROM ANY BULLETS. One way to choose the retreat point, is the center of the largest point-blob within 10km with the lowest/least eligible hostile forces (in total points) within 1km of it.

And...I'm afraid to say this, because it means that it some situations the helis would do random things/nothing...but maybe we could start using flares a whole lot more to designate retreat points or preferable highways for using attack move, or even helicopter and air routes to avoid enemy aa? Like, a more literally waypoint-driven waypoint system? We're easily into the plox WG:IV gib features zone now, boys.
The F-35 Lightning II is better at air superiority than the F-22 Raptor. Fight me!

Buck Turgidson
Second-Lieutenant

Postby Buck Turgidson » Tue 27 Dec 2016 23:05

Had my Challenger 2 rout today. Did not enjoy.
ImageImage

Spielführer
Second-Lieutenant

Postby Spielführer » Tue 27 Dec 2016 23:35

I would like to see a working moral system, but it does not work well with Wargame and also other games failed on that point. Especially Close Combat and similar games. When it comes to firefights, especially infantry, the amount of firepower on certain units compared to other ones often broke the system so that in the end, you often had to use a lot of artillery or air strikes as comparison. And that made the game not fun for the other side nor for the other one.
Soldier of passion. Diplom rerum militarium

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”