ROUT!

FrangibleCover
Lieutenant

Re: ROUT!

Postby FrangibleCover » Wed 28 Dec 2016 01:38

Narcissistic 2036 wrote:
Stunned helicopters should be changed though. Let them fly off in a random direction, trying desperately to shake off the AA fire, rather than the current effect where the pilot's leg suddenly becomes extremely heavy when he panics. Frankly all of helicopter movement could use an overhaul but making helicopters only ever rout and other units only ever become stunned would do for now.

I love the sound of helicopter pilots just FLYING AS FAST AS THEY CAN AWAY FROM ANY BULLETS. One way to choose the retreat point, is the center of the largest point-blob within 10km with the lowest/least eligible hostile forces (in total points) within 1km of it.

I was envisioning the current rout behavior of "LOL let's all just go this way" being given solely to helicopters rather than any major changes. Maybe in future they could be given something similar to the 'move out of fire' AI behaviour to allow them to move out of envelopes of fire. I'm somewhat concerned about helicopters flying over rifle infantry, going halfway past them, deciding they don't like it, turning around next to them and flying back over them 'to safety'. Also I'm not sure that greatly increasing the chances of the unit (e.g. Longbow, Ka-52) being preserved is a good plan, although I'm willing to change my view on that.

If nothing else can they please stop circling like nutters when stunned. They can sit still and be quiet like everyone else.
Last edited by FrangibleCover on Thu 29 Dec 2016 15:04, edited 1 time in total.
What if Wargame stuck to timeframe?

Narcissistic 2036
Sergeant

Postby Narcissistic 2036 » Thu 29 Dec 2016 07:24

I was envisioning the current rout behavior of "LOL let's all just go this way" being given solely to helicopters rather than any major changes.

Yes, frankly the blobbing idea is too specific and silly (unless it magically works better than expected). However, any change to the current mechanics which let my Royal Marines have great target practice is a good thing-at the very worst, it'll be entertainingly different or broken. In multiple situations where I had taken a naval spawn on STTP, or the enemy had, and they didn't have shock or elite infantry platoons in sufficient quantities to stand up to my defense/offensive Royal Marines/Para 90 platoons, the enemy has sent Mi-24s instead. Doesn't sound like too bad of an idea, right? Mi-24s are armored, and they chew infantry like it's boiled pumpkin. Wrong! Royal Marines '90 will eat through armored hinds with just 5.56x45mm NATO. Get a single successful burst on target with rifle and LMG simultaneous, and the Hind is done for. It won't leave, and it won't fire. You can pump out as much 5.56x45mm NATO as you want with your 30-man SPAAG platoons. A lot of shock and elite infantry units will take something like an Mi-2 out in less than a second. Hell, it can do that with 2 Mi-4s at a time! With the nature of AA in this game, helicopters need to retreat when they panic, or it's really unfair.
The F-35 Lightning II is better at air superiority than the F-22 Raptor. Fight me!

FrangibleCover
Lieutenant

Postby FrangibleCover » Thu 29 Dec 2016 15:04

Narcissistic 2036 wrote:Royal Marines '90 will eat through armored hinds with just 5.56x45mm NATO. Get a single successful burst on target with rifle and LMG simultaneous, and the Hind is done for. It won't leave, and it won't fire. You can pump out as much 5.56x45mm NATO as you want with your 30-man SPAAG platoons. A lot of shock and elite infantry units will take something like an Mi-2 out in less than a second. Hell, it can do that with 2 Mi-4s at a time! With the nature of AA in this game, helicopters need to retreat when they panic, or it's really unfair.

Back in ALB Royal Marines were one of the best Helicopter Defence options the UK had :lol:. Elites used to be even better, the FAL on RM was highly accurate (I think it still is) and the rest of the British ADN was totally crap. No Marksmen, no Eurofighter, SAS had a Blowpipe and the Rapier FSA had to be begged for in a unit DLC. The only way you could kill a well micro'd Kokon Hind was to suicide a Sea Harrier into it.

Some of me says that one should never position helicopters such that a unit a tenth of their speed can get within 525m of them but honestly, their tendency to just hover and die once that has happened is ridiculous. I think my idea of them picking a random direction and running is a good balance, it means that helicopters shouldn't be killed by single infantry units but there's a roughly 50% chance that the helicopter panics and blunders into a Sava or a Crotale rather than panicking and running away, which means it's still a bad idea for you to allow helicopters to be caught by infantry. Against isolated infantry, however, helicopters become much better. It's a nice mirror of how they are against isolated tanks.
What if Wargame stuck to timeframe?

Narcissistic 2036
Sergeant

Postby Narcissistic 2036 » Thu 29 Dec 2016 15:11

Against isolated infantry, however, helicopters become much better. It's a nice mirror of how they are against isolated tanks.

One time, as the DPRK, I decided to send 8 of Dear Leader's Mi-4 transports to hunt about 12 squads of USMC '90. Their 15% or so accuracy MGs with the universal 652rpm (why do all vehicle mounted MGs have 652rpm, btw? I really don't understand) was showing hit rates of 44% to even 69% accuracy at around 600 meter range! The Mi-4s killed 3 and a half platoons (with 15 man squads, a normal platoon is 2 units, for 30 men), and none of the Mi-4s were shot down. I think it had something to do with the veterancy of the bloody Paratroopers I brought it in with!
The F-35 Lightning II is better at air superiority than the F-22 Raptor. Fight me!

fox_the_apprentice
Sergeant Major

Postby fox_the_apprentice » Thu 29 Dec 2016 21:03

Seryn wrote:[...]
Press F to delete 2 stack of T-72BUwith ATACMS.

No, that's T ;)

feeblezak
Lieutenant

Postby feeblezak » Thu 29 Dec 2016 22:15

Half the time the "routed" units would just sit there and let themselves die. Very annoying.
Give the MiG-19PFM its 5600m Missile back!!
If Someone could tell the drivers of the T-72M1M's and T-72B's to close their hatches, cheers.

Fade2Gray
General

Postby Fade2Gray » Fri 30 Dec 2016 00:05

Seryn wrote:Press F to pay respects for siege.

Press F to nuke Fade for using stupid CoD stupidity.

Also Press F to delete 2 stack of T-72BUwith ATACMS.[/quote]

So when are you nuking yourself? :mrgreen:
Think you have what it takes to enlist into the military? You sure about that?

Seryn
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby Seryn » Fri 30 Dec 2016 09:52

Fade2Gray wrote:
Seryn wrote:Press F to pay respects for siege.

Press F to nuke Fade for using stupid CoD stupidity.

Also Press F to delete 2 stack of T-72BUwith ATACMS.

So when are you nuking yourself? :mrgreen:[/quote]

When I get plastic surgery to look like Kevin Spacey

Xeno426
Carbon 13

Postby Xeno426 » Fri 30 Dec 2016 15:51

How do people keep fucking up the quotes? Does nobody use the "Preview" button and notice the hanging [/quote] or the fact that quotes are being misattributed?
CloakandDagger wrote:And you're one of the people with the shiny colored name. No wonder the game is in the state it's in.

Razzmann
General

Postby Razzmann » Fri 30 Dec 2016 15:54

Xeno426 wrote:How do people keep fucking up the quotes? Does nobody use the "Preview" button and notice the hanging
or the fact that quotes are being misattributed?[/quote]
Stop being so picky!

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”