My Craziest Match-Thoughts, and your craziest!

Narcissistic 2036
Sergeant

My Craziest Match-Thoughts, and your craziest!

Postby Narcissistic 2036 » Thu 29 Dec 2016 15:03

So, I'm the kind of person that likes playing on Strait To The Point with all options set to infinite, on destruction-essentially, there is no amount of kills needed for victory, and no time limit. You have to kill all of the enemy's CVs, and thus, all of their forces, or make them surrender-or let them do one of those to you.

It's very cancerous, but I like playing 1-3 matches a day, and having them be absolutely amazing, massive matches I get very invested in. I have a small group of friends that also like such matches, but usually not enough to fight each other-and, thus, somedays, it feels like a pubstomp. Despite this, I've seen noobs do amazing things-resist us for hours, drive us all the way back to home bases-never surrendering. This insane and dumb gamemode brings out amazing things in people. As you can imagine, most of these matches will be rediculous-but I'm going to tell about the craziest one I've ever had.

My deck was meant for a scenario skirmish with AI-themed with '50s era looking interceptors, and the weakened forces you could expect to remain after the better part of a world war. CF-101B Voodoos, Mirage 1s, Vought F-8s, etc. NATO mixed, Cat B, Airborne. I took about 50 or so squads of Scandinavian and German shock infantry in Hueys, 16 Sheridans, virtually no AA (literally no AA, in fact) and some anti-shipping planes such as F-104Gs, Super Hornets, CF-18s, and Super Etendards. As I ran out of useful things to throw in, I chucked a couple Mitsubishi MAT cards in there-more on that later on. I had a skeletal, and very poorly built deck. Somehow, I killed more than 10,000 points worth of units with it.

The match began, and I took the mountains-I sent up Mirages, created anti-shipping squadrons of 750k/h planes (F-104s and Etendards), and the usual. Here is where things get funny, and the never go back. The F-104s kill a Sovremmeniy, the Etendards kill some frigates, and I realize I have a card of click-to-delete ROK Army MLRS-the K136 Kooryong. My infantry are engaged, and 120 men charge through the forest towards Motostrelki. Eventually, they kill the Motostrelki and odd MANPAD team and eventually I send them to flank the forest edges. Amazingly, one squad kills a T-80UM and a BMPT. Things are going well, and then a flight of Su-24Ms sweep in and kill hundreds of my men-completely annihilating my forest force and exposing November to hell. Cue the Spetsnaz and Ka-50 spam-yes, the enemy managed to acquire 4 Ka-50s. Pretty sure somebody had surrendered at that point (not that it mattered, the game would last nearly 3 hours regardless), giving them extra availability-even worse, they had a crazy amount of Spetsnaz as well. I airlift hundreds of more men to the front, an LZ just behind the CV hiding in the forest. I decide to throw all of the UH-1Bs and Dornier 205s at the enemy-infinite points, no time limit, what's it matter? They amaze me. As a few squads of Spets are crossing a small clearing less than 150 meters from the hidden CV, my helis start gunning them down-and I watch them kill 12 35 point Spets squads in less than 30 seconds. However, my Hueys were dying, as Akulas were firing at them with Iglas, and some Spets had taken down Hueys with them. Naturally, I react by spamming the 13 or so remaining Hueys at the Akulas-and kill one of the Akulas. All of my Hueys die, though. There's a 1 hour boring era, but eventually we decide on a ceasefire (during the boring era, a Bushranger manages to kill a T-80UM. That's about it, though). Since we start a ceasefire during which to get food and go to the bathroom (I feel like a Twitch streamer already). NATO forces pull out of Fedor/Foxtrot, and PACT forces pull out of Elena/Echo. Because I'm bored and I like the massive Russian helicopters that you never get to use (Mi-26 and Mi-6), I decide to ask if I can buy one in exchange for CH-53s. The one remaining Lvl 12 player agrees, and we bloody trade! I get an Mi-6, and he gets a West German CH-53G. I fuel the Mi-6 up, and send it to my ROK Army K136 Kooryong MLRS-and plot where I'm going to aim so that my Barrage may begin the second the ceasefire ends-2:00:00, 2 hours into the game, on the game's clock. At 1:59:37, I inquire about extending the ceasefire by 5 minutes in exchange for more helicopters. It seems that the 23 seconds remaining created some pressure, which resulted immediately in two Mi-26 being sent to Foxtrot/Fedor for pickup. Somehow, that's not the weirdest part of this match. When the ceasefire ends, the enemy sends up fighter jets-Su-27s, in great numbers as well (9). I send up what remains of my Nuclear-War themed air tab (6 CF-101B Voodoos at Elite, and 6 Vought F-8 Corsairs also at elite, although bc of the 9 unit limit I only had 2 F-8s). Somehow, a bloody CF-101B shoots down not only an Su-27PU, but also an Su-27K! Another one manages to down an Su-27K. Keep in mind, these things cost 45 points, and have 4 25% accuracy missiles, which can only go 3,150 meters! They have no ECM at all. Then, towards the end, the enemy sends all that they can towards our lines-just two of us out of four stayed to the end on my team-and it appears he click-and-dragged. By this point in the game, every single non-air unit I had was dead aside from 16 Mitsubishi MATs and 7 Dutch I-TOW carriers. One of the bloody MATs, refueled by a nearby CH-53 that my ally had stationed there, killed 5 BTR-70K CVs. In addition, enemy resupply helicopters had flown towards my lines as well. I scrambled to capture the three Mi-26s before my ally did-at this point, I had no armed units with anything other than MLRS or ATGMs-and then I realized that my 2nd ally had surrendered previously. Closing and opening the call-out button, I found that I had 100% availability of EVERYTHING again. I still had to scramble two Bushrangers to capture the Mi-26s, but unfortunately I was only able to capture two of them. The third was captured by my ally's coincidental TACOM squad. There's another era of boredome, I look away, and my ally has taken the enemy home sector. No, I don't know how either-but there are combat helicopters scattered here and there. Some hunting later, a few BTR-70K kills using Super Etendards, and this Level 12 newbie boldly announces that he will be reclaiming his spawn zone-and at this point, he has literally almost no units. Somehow, the crazy bastard does! The sector goes from blue, to white, and to red-as my ally's TACOM squad and his Polish CV infantry squad get into a firefight, from 20 meters away! I send a nearby Lynx with FSK in it, and use the MG3 to kill the enemy CV infantry squad-ending the game after more than 2 hours.

Crazy things about other games of the same setup:
One of them lasted 7 hours (our bloody friend just up and went to bed, announced this to us, and forced us to spend 7 hours breaking his lines of automated defense. He even set his units to automatically target supply vehicles!)
I once killed a Sovremminy with a Jaguar GR.1A-and it survived the sortie.
An F-100D killed two landing craft boats.
A Super Hornet killed two BMD-2s floating in the ocean, out of gas, with the 20mm.
That wasn't the first time I've killed Su-27s with CF-101B Voodoos.
I've killed a Gripen with a MiG-17.
I've killed gunboats with Harpoon missiles many, many times after they miss their intended target or I kill it with earlier Harpoons in the same barrage.
Ever lost a Sovremminy or an Udaloy II to an A-4 Skyhawk?
7 Hinds, one Royal Marine squad.

You get the point: this game allows for CRAZY things to happen, and it's by far one of the best games I've ever played-if not the best.

EDIT: All of the crazy incidents except for the MiG-17>Gripen, and my losing a Sov to an A-4 Skyhawk happened in the last week.
Last edited by Narcissistic 2036 on Thu 29 Dec 2016 19:59, edited 1 time in total.
The F-35 Lightning II is better at air superiority than the F-22 Raptor. Fight me!

Holy_crap
Second-Lieutenant

Re: My Craziest Match-Thoughts, and your craziest!

Postby Holy_crap » Thu 29 Dec 2016 16:22

Tl;dr
Leader of the glorious Putsie Federation. Saucer 1st Class.
Steam - Tactical Tile Placement

Mike
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Mike » Thu 29 Dec 2016 17:17

Holy_crap wrote:Tl;dr

In Wargame, shit happens.

But I've had it where sides flipped on the normal 10v10 settings on Asgard. Dude would just take about four choppers and go through the mountains. A Ka-52, Mi-28/Ka-50 and two Hinds, one with command infantry and one with GRU I believe. Legitimate tactical outplay. :lol:
Courtesy of KattiValk

Narcissistic 2036
Sergeant

Postby Narcissistic 2036 » Thu 29 Dec 2016 17:27

TL;DR
I killed an Su-27K and an Su-27PU with the same CF-101B and I'm happy
Also, T-80UM with Bushranger
The F-35 Lightning II is better at air superiority than the F-22 Raptor. Fight me!

HrcAk47
Colonel

Postby HrcAk47 » Thu 29 Dec 2016 18:32

I once accidentally stumbled into a 2V2 total destruction no time limit, on Jungle LAW.

It lasted for 7 1/2 hours.

There was partisan warfare, artillery engaging with HEAT shells in direct fire, purchase of ALL units available, frontlines made around tanks that ran out of fuel, commando raids of capping supply, IRL meta diplomacy ("NO YOU QUIT"), CV tanks used as only armor with fuel and ammo, and so on.

I haven't had fun in this game ever since.
The SEAD never bothered me anyway.

SMB Yugoslavia Retexture Mod, now released, v.1.0

deadnation
Command Sergeant Major

Postby deadnation » Thu 29 Dec 2016 19:11

Back in wee days i had one 4vs4 match in the big map (The big map that was mostly open field no big hills or rivers). All in my team mates were randoms. At start one of my teammates failed and lost his line and left the game. Other Team got 2/3 of the map under their control, but we could defend our part and after 2 hours of defending they had run out of important units and we could attack and win. Most fun i have had in wargame.

And other good match that i remember was in Highway to hell map. We had one dude in our team do full tank rush using the middle road and he just drove straight to enemy spawn never seeing any enemies because enemy team left middle road open (the road is lower than ground around it so units can't see on road from far away.) He had cv with him and took over/capped enemy spawn point before 5 minute mark.

3 amazing game was also in wee. Can't remember name of the map but it was one of those that didn't get played that often. The fun part was that we and enemy team chased each other around the map. We took their east spawn they took our west then we took their west and they took our east spawn (so we had their both starting areas and they ours). This happened like 4 times in same map :lol:

Narcissistic 2036
Sergeant

Postby Narcissistic 2036 » Thu 29 Dec 2016 19:55

I hope this becomes a thing, like the craziest-kill-list thing did

Pretty interesting so far tbh, especially the one with 4 spawn switches :lol:

Also, am I the only one to ever think of a Wargame: Red Dragon Project Reality community of some form?

smyljr
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby smyljr » Thu 29 Dec 2016 20:47

i only play total destruction no time limit games, best game mode in my opinion, you just have to structure a deck for longevity.
:mid-match connecting(matchmaking), LoS bubble(Ruse), interchangeable loadouts, moving in formations different ranges for altitudes, 1$ price increments, tank/copter ecm, 5/6 weapon slots, and 10 player deathmatch nukemode

KattiValk
General

Postby KattiValk » Thu 29 Dec 2016 21:02

Narcissistic 2036 wrote: Also, am I the only one to ever think of a Wargame: Red Dragon Project Reality community of some form?
No, and that modding project ended with the verdict that Wargame is not deep enough to facilitate such a project without the ability to actually fundamentally change game mechanics.

Narcissistic 2036
Sergeant

Postby Narcissistic 2036 » Thu 29 Dec 2016 21:10

No, and that modding project ended with the verdict that Wargame is not deep enough to facilitate such a project without the ability to actually fundamentally change game mechanics.

Thank you. Maybe Wargame: 7

i only play total destruction no time limit games, best game mode in my opinion, you just have to structure a deck for longevity.

I recently got into that, on STTP on Very High income. That's how all of this craziness came about.

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”