[10vs10] Please add a Mass Battle friendly map

M4jor
Sergeant Major of the Army

[10vs10] Please add a Mass Battle friendly map

Postby M4jor » Tue 3 Jan 2017 22:05

Ok, so 10vs10 will not be in the focus of balance ever, fine.

Let us ask for something different then:

- please add an Asgard Sized 10vs10 map (not Russian Roulette Size, Asgard size)

please give it....
- no big cities (nothing bigger than Asgard cities are that are NOT on the mid
- only very few mountains
- only very few rivers
- only few slopes (a lot less than asgard at least)
- NO water at all, no lakes, big rivers or shores, use the map space to a maximum.

please add...
- a lot of treelines,
- a lot of small forests
- a lot of small towns
- functioning roads
- enough space at the flanks without spawns and command zones for covered operations, flanking manouvers etc.

Make the reinforcement zones...

- huge
- adjacent to the maps EDGE OR make the reinforcement arrows extremly long and adjacent to the map edge.
- ONLY on the map edges, not in the center of the map
- give only 2 airspawns per side in the CENTER of the own map side, no flank air spawns
- if possible, make the airspawns so long, that the planes appear OUTSIDE of the map

This way, all the issues we currently have in 10vs10 balance will be solved immediatly.
We would have a map that provides a giant playground for armored pushes, which 10vs10 players like most.
It will still provide everything that is needed for arty spam, plane spam, helo rushes but without it beeing so dominant and retarded as on Asgard.
By leaving out rivers, mountains and big cities we can minimize the choke points and make the map great for manouver warfare, since blind arty will be a lot less effective and the points where to strike will always vary, dependend on the commanders choices not the choke point map design we have since 2 years.

All Conquest players can happily stay away from the map and will never hear anything from 10vs10 players again, because there will be no reason left to join the forums for us :D

There once was a map in Wargame:EE that was similar, I forgot its name. Open field? Or planes or Open Ground? Dunno. But it is very similar to what we need, but with more cover in the mid and a better use of the space of such a map. Also, it should be as wide as possibly within the engine.

Thank you for your attention.

Razzmann
General

Re: [10vs10] Please add a Mass Battle friendly map

Postby Razzmann » Tue 3 Jan 2017 22:12

M4jor wrote:- only very few rivers
[...]
- NO water at all, no lakes, big rivers or shores, use the map space to a maximum.

You mean only small rivers at max?

M4jor

Postby M4jor » Tue 3 Jan 2017 22:13

Razzmann wrote:
M4jor wrote:- only very few rivers
[...]

You mean only small rivers at max?

Rivers kill 10vs10 games basically for several reasons (one of them is that bridges tend to get crowded with wrecks).
So I would even say better no rivers at all.

terror51247
Major

Postby terror51247 » Tue 3 Jan 2017 22:20

A map like a "bridge too far" from WG:EE would be perfect for huge battles.I remember having crazy fun playing 40000 starting pt games in that map and the 4v4 version of duel field.
How can anyone play to a faction's strength if the major flavour of that faction is overpriced units in every category?

M4jor

Postby M4jor » Tue 3 Jan 2017 22:23

terror51247 wrote:A map like a "bridge too far" from WG:EE would be perfect for huge battles.I remember having crazy fun playing 40000 starting pt games in that map and the 4v4 version of duel field.

Exactly!
Still in W:EE it was a bit easier to cross bridges and still u only could do so, when the battle was already won anyway.
Basically Bridge too far without rivers would be an good example for how such a map should or could look like.

Dundradal
Corporal

Postby Dundradal » Tue 3 Jan 2017 22:37

I'd certainly like to see some more variety in the maps being used on 10v10 servers. While it's nice to play a low income and high income game, it gets a bit old to always be seeing the same three or four maps.

Playing Straight over and over again isn't that fun since it tends to devolve into the same rough battle every single time...but there's always like two or three servers running it.

Eltango
Master Sergeant

Postby Eltango » Tue 3 Jan 2017 22:42

I would say just take Russian Roulette (RR) and give it new spawn sectors in the traditional way, which allow a continuous front line (north vs south). Right now all the fighting occur mostly at the peripheries on RR, and no real battle happen in the center. I guess the reason is 1) everybody is busy attacking each other at the spawn and 2) the city in the center is too far away, long distance to call in troops + no nearby spawn zones like in Asgard.

So to the OP 's idea, it's a good request and to make it easy on Eugen, please modify RR map with new zones, scale it down in the size a little bit .... et voila` : New map new fun :)

M4jor

Postby M4jor » Tue 3 Jan 2017 22:47

Eltango wrote:I would say just take Russian Roulette (RR) and give it new spawn sectors in the traditional way, which allow a continuous front line (north vs south). Right now all the fighting occur mostly at the peripheries on RR, and no real battle happen in the center. I guess the reason is 1) everybody is busy attacking each other at the spawn and 2) the city in the center is too far away, long distance to call in troops + no nearby spawn zones like in Asgard.

So to the OP 's idea, it's a good request and to make it easy on Eugen, please modify RR map with new zones, scale it down in the size a little bit .... et voila` : New map new fun :)

I dont think Russian Roulette is a good map in that regard. Its filled with choke points, half of the spawns are as easy to defend as possible (this will lead to a stalemate game at the flanks) while the mid is a giant black whole (a town) were nothing but constant arty barrage and inf spam will happen in a classic 10vs10 setup.
Plus, several obstacles make the map very narrow, resulting in even open space becoming a choke point.

A classic layout for Russian Roulette would be fine, but it would only give us a mix of Gjöll and Asgard that is even (effectivly) smaller.
Scaling it down would only make the problem worse I m afraid.

Still, would be nice to see, since variety is also a good thing. Still wont make me move away from my initial request.
Maybe we could have both in a future paid DLC?

Eltango
Master Sergeant

Postby Eltango » Tue 3 Jan 2017 23:01

You mean something like this: This would be nice, open field on the flank + city fight in the center,

http://imgur.com/BGNYeLX

M4jor

Postby M4jor » Tue 3 Jan 2017 23:07

Eltango wrote:You mean something like this: This would be nice, open field on the flank + city fight in the center,

http://imgur.com/BGNYeLX

City is too big. Also, I think ppl will not be sad to see the concept of "big city in the center" go :-) we had enough maps with that feature and still have plenty.
Also, far too much water

Is this an ALB map? I think I remember that one...

More something like Open Range from W:EE (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIDUDUMpSn0
or the aforementioned Bridge too far.

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”