Tank gun accuracy, or how I learned to stop worrying and love Airland Battle tank balance

edthebeast
Chief Warrant Officer

Tank gun accuracy, or how I learned to stop worrying and love Airland Battle tank balance

Postby edthebeast » Sun 15 Jan 2017 19:32

Fairly radical proposition here, so be warned.

At the moment, most 60 point and over blue tanks are laser accurate, and most 80 point and over red tanks are the same. But is it really good for gameplay to have the majority of players' tank choices at 55-70% accuracy? This leads to laughable situations like the leopard 1A4 being more accurate than many contemporary ATGMs.

Remember back in Airland Battle, when 50% accuracy was amazing? When tanks actually missed? And when you bought ATGMs because they were accurate and reliable tank busters? Wasn't it good? This is where I'd like a return to. At the moment, the most accurate tanks (leclerc, M1A2, etc) are as or comparably accurate to the most accurate ATGMs (TOW-2, Nimrod, HJ-9 on that Chinese thingy). This leaves ATGMs no niche, as the reliably accurate anti-tank role is filled by, well, tanks.

This is why I'm proposing a general tank accuracy nerf to ALB levels, with new tanks slightly above those levels. Leclerc at perhaps 55-60% accuracy, T-72BU to 50%, most blue superheavies to either 55 or 50%, FINMOD and T-80UM to 55%, etc. I feel this would leave ATGMs room to be accurate, reliable tank busters, with 60%+ accuracy for most post-'85 systems, and give superheavies (which I believe the current meta revolves around) a counter other than 30AP ATGM planes.

Thoughts?
The only (probably) sane player to take a card of Akulas voluntarily..... UNTIL RED DRAGON!

QUAD
Colonel

Re: Tank gun accuracy, or how I learned to stop worrying and love Airland Battle tank balance

Postby QUAD » Sun 15 Jan 2017 19:34

I support this because it further encourages combined arms.
Mobile Units Operational :!:

HrcAk47
Colonel

Re: Tank gun accuracy, or how I learned to stop worrying and love Airland Battle tank balance

Postby HrcAk47 » Sun 15 Jan 2017 19:48

I would also like a general compression of accuracy levels in the downwards direction.

However, ATGMs then need a full rework.
The SEAD never bothered me anyway.

SMB Yugoslavia Retexture Mod, now released, v.1.0

Sweedish_Gunner
Brigadier

Postby Sweedish_Gunner » Sun 15 Jan 2017 19:51

Can't agree with this I'm afraid. I don't think having super accurate tanks is bad for gameplay, it feels more reliable and less RNG dependant.

Ribar
Warrant Officer

Postby Ribar » Sun 15 Jan 2017 19:58

I do not support this feature because it further encourages sitskrieg from w:ee we tried to topple long time ago and managed somehow in alb (as well as successfully implemented conquest 8-) ).

Change would probably hinder dynamic and give more initiative among players for early landgrabs and digging-in ww1 style.
Image :mrgreen:

edthebeast
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby edthebeast » Sun 15 Jan 2017 20:04

Ribar wrote:I do not support this feature because it further encourages sitskrieg from w:ee we tried to topple long time ago and managed somehow in alb (as well as successfully implemented conquest 8-) ).

Change would probably hinder dynamic and give more initiative among players for early landgrabs and digging-in ww1 style.

I want a return to ALB combined arms though, if you could point to why this would cause EE sitzkreig rather than ALB armoured warfare more exactly that would actually really help me refine this suggestion.
The only (probably) sane player to take a card of Akulas voluntarily..... UNTIL RED DRAGON!

hansbroger
Lieutenant General

Postby hansbroger » Sun 15 Jan 2017 20:16

Ribar wrote:I do not support this feature because it further encourages sitskrieg from w:ee we tried to topple long time ago and managed somehow in alb (as well as successfully implemented conquest 8-) ).

I support the OP because artillery and airpower in game have rarely (other than in RD Beta) been so lethal as they are now. There still is the temptation to dig in but in this expansion there are undoubtedly the means to dig people out.

If implemented well the overall compression of FCS capabilities in the RD timeframe and the propagation of advanced FCS to lower tanks means that Accuracy rescaling isn't going to hit low tier tanks as hard as it did in ALB, encouraging the use of medium and heavy tanks with sufficient combat characteristics and excellent availability over superheavies with impressive armory stats.

As long as we don't nerf mediums and heavies into the ground in order to make everyone's pet superheavies "Special" there will be little incentive to turtle and micro. A lack of reliance on singular super units prevents the cautious, campy behavior that results from trying to protect the rediculous investment made in these super units. Sitskrieg comes from the Wunderwaffe meta where people buy super units and don't dare risk them in the offensive, and it is truly stupid to try and use them in the offensive given how recon works in this game. Thus I support the OP and hope it pushes down the high end more than the mid and low ends that encourage an offensive mindset and actually facilitate offensive gameplay.
Projectnordic in game! will likely see you on pact/red dragons/french!

Zaskow
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Zaskow » Sun 15 Jan 2017 20:19

Why just don't buff all inaccurate ATGM crap?

QUAD
Colonel

Postby QUAD » Sun 15 Jan 2017 20:25

Sweedish_Gunner wrote:Can't agree with this I'm afraid. I don't think having super accurate tanks is bad for gameplay, it feels more reliable and less RNG dependant.

Tanks as a reliable DPS source discourages the usage of most open ground combat units beyond other tanks and of course recon/screening fodder.

Less accurate armor means morale level effects battles more, a higher emphasis on artillery and air power, and an increased usage of ATGMs and light units that as of now are liquidated by armor as soon as they enter gun range.
Mobile Units Operational :!:

Mitchverr
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Mitchverr » Sun 15 Jan 2017 20:40

I am in favour because it brings back the usability of lighter vehicles. I remember RD in beta and the early days when it was closer to ALB with this reguard, it was more fun, though there were some issues, they could be dealt with in another way than "everyone super accurate gl".

Oh, and it was far and away nowhere near sitzkrieg back then, he whom didnt push would find themselves outflanked and destroyed because people could pick numbers over quality and have it work well, hell, ANZAC was legit pretty damn good back then in my view even if they were without heavy armor.
Last edited by Mitchverr on Sun 15 Jan 2017 20:41, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”